Cylinder replacement cost

Tim Jodice

I had a cylinder repaired and I am curious with others think it should cost. 

On my 201 I had cylinder #1 removed and reinstalled. I took it to be repaired. They also replaced all of the sparkplugs and installed 2 new EGT probes. What do you think it should cost? Just labor.

9 minutes ago, flyer338 said:

Based on the time it took to R&R the number 3 cylinder on a friends 172 (under appropriate supervision), I would say 4 hours.

Do you think a Mooney is as easy? I ask because I saw a 172 with the cowling off and there is a lot more room in there than in a Mooney. 

Based on what I paid my shop, I think your job would be about 1000-1200 labor for a single cylinder, 8 plug swaps, and 2 EGT's.  Cost would vary if the EGT's were on the same side of the engine as the cylinder, as you would already have the wires unbundled.  

For background, this would be a big shop with a staff, significant equipment and hangar space, and an MSC.  A small shop could be more or less, depending on how they track their time.    

Just a customer, not an A&P.

54 minutes ago, Tim Jodice said:

Do you think a Mooney is as easy? I ask because I saw a 172 with the cowling off and there is a lot more room in there than in a Mooney. 

When I remove the cowling side panels in my C model, it seems that there would be plenty of room to do the cylinder removal.  I think the toughest part in my old C model would be removing and replacing the dog house and getting those parts in the right spot.  I had a cylinder removed and replaced last year and they charged 6 hours of labor for the job (total) and I did not argue because I figured that some of that time was removing the dog house, etc...  As you know, at least with my Mooney, there is nothing simple.  To get one part off you have to remove 5 or 6 others...:D

1 hour ago, Tim Jodice said:

Depends on the Mooney.  An M20J like yours?  Yes, very nearly as easy as a 172 once the cowling is removed (a vintage Mooney with the doghouse is more labor intensive).  Your J probably only has a fuel injector line and CHT probe that the 172 doesn’t.

Hopefully @jetdriven will post how many hours his shop would charge for this work.

We had cyl. #1 replaced recently on our '67C due to failure of the nitride coating, which manifested itself by cheese-grating a piston pin plug.  Lots of aluminum in the oil filter.  They dropped the lower cowl to replace the jug.  While they were in there they fixed some holes in the air bellows, replaced all forward SCAT tubes.  I helped them put it all back together.  They charged me 8 hours total labor.  If I wouldn't have been in the way helped, they might have charged me less (or maybe a couple more hours).

• Like 1

So, you have to R&R The cowl that’s .5 hr, R&R the exhaust system 1 hour. R&R about half the baffling 1 hour. R&R the fuel injection line .5 hours. R&R valve train parts 1 hr. R&R the cylinder 1 hour. So, about $425 labor. If you want any of those parts cleaned and painted add a few more hours. If you have an engine monitor add another hour for dealing with all the extra wires and clamps.

9 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So, you have to R&R The cowl that’s .5 hr, R&R the exhaust system 1 hour. R&R about half the baffling 1 hour. R&R the fuel injection line .5 hours. R&R valve train parts 1 hr. R&R the cylinder 1 hour. So, about $425 labor. If you want any of those parts cleaned and painted add a few more hours. If you have an engine monitor add another hour for dealing with all the extra wires and clamps.

Adding,

Oil change and filter, R&R 2 EGT probes, replacing spark plugs, Remove loctite and reinstall cylinder base stud. I would say 8 hours total.

• Like 1