propeller

In August, we installed Hartzell top prop on our C after the original prop A-hub prop was condemned upon overhaul for having undercut blade roots.  It is a little quieter in cruise.  No other differences noted.   Same cruise speed.  Specs say 3% longer t/o run, but I don't perceive any difference.   Looks more contemporary, with the graceful curves and pointy spinner.

Two manufacturing defects noted on this new prop.   Noticed that the factory-applied paint started coming off after my first flight through rain.  Removed prop for re-painting by reputable prop-shop.   Upon reinstall, one of the studs failed due to a lack of proper loctite applied in manufacturing.   Removed prop again and that same reputable prop-shop replaced all the studs.   Reinstalled and flying.  New paint job of much higher quality- hasn't even started coming off the leading edge.

Working with prop-shop to file a warranty claim against Hartzell for the A&P time to twice remove and reinstall the prop.

If I had a do-over, I would search for a good used B-hub prop and save some money and hassle.