dynon

Rick-bond

Has anyone installed the basic Dynon Skyview.  I have a m20g  (nice, stable plane)  i fly 160 to 165 mph all day. Thats fast enough for me.  (for those of you that say dont put your money in a G)   For $20,000 in parts you get 1  10" and 1  7" screen   com radio, navigation map, weather, traffic, adsb in and out. engine monitoring. fuel management.   I was looking to get the uavionix tailbeaconx with an av30-c. Thats $5000.00  plus install, solves my diversity issue. Plus i have to add another ac30c for directional gyro (1900.00) to get rid of my pump. Plus install. So I am guessing $10,000 installed.

I am 67 years old and dont plan on flying ifr. If I sell the plane in the future, the buyer can install their own wass gps for ifr. Anyone have any thoughts.   When I fly it is usually on the u.s canadian border or in the U.S.  so adsb works for me. I emailed nav canada and I actually got a quick response. It seems they are going to lean the way the U.S defines their airspace. I am guessing I will be able to fly alot in Canada without flying in class c and b airspace.      

If you want a 1090 emitter and you're planning on cutting open the panel anyway, you might look for a used GTX330ES. There seem to be a lot of them coming out from upgrades. That would eliminate the 978mhz concern. 

I was really excited about the Skyview HDX when it came out, but I had a really tough time finding an installer who wanted to do it. Most of the Dynon network seems to be experimental shops. The AP isn't certified yet, so you're just talking about a nice PFD/MFD.

Might be worth considering a used 330ES plus an Aspen PFD for about the same money installed. 

12 hours ago, Rick-bond said:

Has anyone installed the basic Dynon Skyview.  I have a m20g  (nice, stable plane)  i fly 160 to 165 mph all day. Thats fast enough for me.  (for those of you that say dont put your money in a G)   For $20,000 in parts you get 1  10" and 1  7" screen   com radio, navigation map, weather, traffic, adsb in and out. engine monitoring. fuel management.   I was looking to get the uavionix tailbeaconx with an av30-c. Thats $5000.00  plus install, solves my diversity issue. Plus i have to add another ac30c for directional gyro (1900.00) to get rid of my pump. Plus install. So I am guessing $10,000 installed.

I am 67 years old and dont plan on flying ifr. If I sell the plane in the future, the buyer can install their own wass gps for ifr. Anyone have any thoughts.   When I fly it is usually on the u.s canadian border or in the U.S.  so adsb works for me. I emailed nav canada and I actually got a quick response. It seems they are going to lean the way the U.S defines their airspace. I am guessing I will be able to fly alot in Canada without flying in class c and b airspace.      

Welcome to the new millennium Rick!

The argument that you shouldn’t upgrade an old plane...

Flew out the window somewhere in the last century...

When somebody said... buy your last plane first...

Update your forever-plane any way you like...

You are going to find MooneySpace a little friendlier than you expect...

MS is on the internet... but, it isn’t the internet...

There are at least four owners of Dynon panels on MS...

Two of them are M20Cs...

Hope you weren’t expecting to be the first....   :)

As far as the Uavionics DG goes... run a search... check the pireps on the precession...   there is room for improvement...

Best regards,

-a-

Rick,

@PilotFun101 has posted a few videos around here...

If you want to see a great example of how well the Dynon screens fit, and work...    Chris has done a great job of capturing them with video...

Let me know if you have difficulty finding the videos or Chris...

He is quite the Dynon / Mooney spokes person...

Best regards,

-a-

I've had HDX for about 5 months and so far so good.  There are several shops that install Dynon - Baker is often on this site - talk to him.  I had the install done at Advanced Aero in Reno, NV and I'm happy with their work.  There are probably lots of shops that now install Dynon in certified aircraft.   I'm using the Garmin GPS 175 as the WAAS navigator and it interfaces nicely with HDX and not terribly expensive.  I kept my old nav/com and com, which work fine and also integrate with HDX.  The biggest drawback to HDX is no certified autopilot for Mooney at this time.  I hope that changes in the next 4-5 months.  I could not get the 10" and 7" screen to fit without a lot of panel modifications to the breaker panel.  It might be something I do when I have more time (retire) but I don't mind the analog monitoring gages but definitely not as cool as some other panels and my engine monitoring capabilities suck - I still have the "classic" scanner ( I can hear the laughter).  I'm happy with HDX but not happy about no AP.  Go for it!

231MJ Dynon HDX Panel.JPG

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rick-bond said:

Your not going to believe this:  Dynon got back to me and the hdx  can not be installed in a certified plane in canada

Did they give you a reason for that?

When you have the reason...  then seek assistance from @M20Doc... Clarence is familiar with the Canadian regs...

There are going to be a bunch of people that will want to follow your lead...

We can also invite Greg to the conversation... @Baker Avionics

Best regards,

-a-

We had a conversation today on line.  I asked the rep from dynon, if i bought a mooney in the u.s and brought it to canada, is it legal.  His exact words were,  dynon hdx is only legal in certified planes with an  n.  Number.  They are not certified for anything else. They have been working with the canadians to get the certification.  No definite timeline yet 

10 hours ago, Rick-bond said:

We had a conversation today on line.  I asked the rep from dynon, if i bought a mooney in the u.s and brought it to canada, is it legal.  His exact words were,  dynon hdx is only legal in certified planes with an  n.  Number.  They are not certified for anything else. They have been working with the canadians to get the certification.  No definite timeline yet 

Dynon is a much smaller company and likely doesn’t have the same resources or influence that a company like Garmin has so I imagine we will have to be patient for some of the features that Dynon has in store for us in the future such as that AP for Mooneys and a replacement for that god awful D10A.  I, for one, will wait.

Well...

That is certification nightmare #1

Very few companies have the ability to certify in several countries at the same time... Or even share their schedule of certification with the public...

The good news... it has been successfully certified in the US... 

So... most of the certification testing has been completed...  not like there are different laws of physics in Canada... but operating temps may get much colder there in winter...

Options...

• flying an N numbered aircraft can be done... a solution often used in the EU...
  • Installing at risk... installing it, prior to certification... ties up a lot of money in a plane that is technically not AW without certification documents... (super nightmare)
  • wait on Dynon... to announce intentions, then complete the work...

There are three ways trusting an avionics supplier works...

• BAD: The BK example... It will be available in Q3... then never give the year...
  • Middle Zone: The Garmin/Mooney lock-up... where it takes two companies working together to get something certified... certification money is seasonal... no two companies share the same high seasons...
  • Best ever seen: Garmin has been certifying their new AP.... they have been posting on their website the proposed schedule... and updating it over time...

The interesting part... when certification in a Mooney is going on... Somebody on MS is going to know it... because their plane is being used...

The companies need to keep installs controlled, because it gets in the way of the end user, when missteps occur...

Overall rule of thumb, in avionics.... buy what is available today.   Because, it requires too many organizations, money, and time,  working together to complete the certification process...

If you had a Mooney... you could live somewhere warmer and commute...:)

The risk of attempting the install on unusable avionics is incredibly real... either they don’t ever get produced, or by the time they do...BK example #2... The most recent nav screens use VGA graphics... similar to an old desktop PC I had somewhere, back when...

We can also get some insight from Greg.. @Baker Avionics

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guru...

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 11:27 PM, 231MJ said:

I've had HDX for about 5 months and so far so good.  There are several shops that install Dynon - Baker is often on this site - talk to him.  I had the install done at Advanced Aero in Reno, NV and I'm happy with their work.  There are probably lots of shops that now install Dynon in certified aircraft.   I'm using the Garmin GPS 175 as the WAAS navigator and it interfaces nicely with HDX and not terribly expensive.  I kept my old nav/com and com, which work fine and also integrate with HDX.  The biggest drawback to HDX is no certified autopilot for Mooney at this time.  I hope that changes in the next 4-5 months.  I could not get the 10" and 7" screen to fit without a lot of panel modifications to the breaker panel.  It might be something I do when I have more time (retire) but I don't mind the analog monitoring gages but definitely not as cool as some other panels and my engine monitoring capabilities suck - I still have the "classic" scanner ( I can hear the laughter).  I'm happy with HDX but not happy about no AP.  Go for it!

231MJ Dynon HDX Panel.JPG

Hi, nice panel.  Looking into Dynon.  Question from above.  I assume, unlike the Garmin 10.6" and EIS, one can't have Dynon engine monitoring on the 10" only, i.e. you would need a second dedicated screen? (7" acceptable ?) 

If you mean...

Flipping from your attitude indicator to see your engine monitor data...

on a scale of good and bad...  that would be bad...   :)

Engine monitors stay live all the time...

Because when a cylinder goes off line... you don’t want to give up the primary flight data to do engine troubleshooting...

I probably mis-understood the question...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, OZMOONEYMAN said:

Hi, nice panel.  Looking into Dynon.  Question from above.  I assume, unlike the Garmin 10.6" and EIS, one can't have Dynon engine monitoring on the 10" only, i.e. you would need a second dedicated screen? (7" acceptable ?) 

I think you are asking if you need to have a second screen to do engine monitoring. With the Dynon system you do not require a second screen (although many choose to have one). On one single screen you can have primary flight instruments, maps, and engine data.

Here is a very good video about how data can be displayed on the HDX screen.

• 8 months later...

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on their experience connecting a SkyView HDX to a GPS navigator.  I'm specifically interested in the GNX 375, which I already have (maybe 231MJ can comment based on his GNX 175 experience).  Here's the thing - SkyView is not on the compatibility list found in the Garmin 375 installation manual (some other EFISes are).  The IM specifically says that any equipment not on the compatibility list requires "additional airworthiness approval", which my avionics shop says means a Field Approval.  Since the STC for the GNX 375 requires that the GNX 375 be installed IAW the IM, then you are not allowed to connect the GNX 375 to SkyView, at least not without a Field Approval.

You would expect a SkyView to be able to talk to the GNX 375 over ARINC with the appropriate interfaces, so that would address at least a part of the concerns you would need to address for a Field Approval.  There might also be concerns that the ARINC implementation of the GNX 375 plays well with the ARINC implementation of SkyView.  Yes, ARINC 429 is a standard, but SkyView is not TSO'd or otherwise independently evaluated with respect to requirements and standards, so when you have to certify the SkyView+GNX 375 as a system, there's no simple argument that allows you to conclude the combination is airworthy, especially for IFR operations.

To be clear, the STCs allow you to install both in your panel, you just can't connect them.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:23 AM, Rick-bond said:

A friend of mine put the dual 10" Dynon with all the goodies in his V35 Bonanza last year. He already had a PSE450B audio panel, Avidyne 500 and Garmin 345 Transponder. It was $75k installed.

S,

From my perspective, the GPS 175 seems to integrate fine with HDX.  I load the flight plan on the 175 and it flows directly to HDX.  The 175 shows on the HSI independent of other navigation inputs.  Garmin's MO prevents HDX talking to the 175, much like Foreflight won't talk to the 175 but Foreflight it will talk to HDX.  You can have two flight plans - one on HDX and one on the 175 but I can't think of a situation where this would be necessary.   I can't speak to the legalities of the HDX/175 paring.  I'll look at the documentation when I get home to see if I can comment factually.  I had an avionics shop do the install and I seem to recall  FSDO did inspect but I'm not 100% sure.  

I have not flown behind Garmin G3x but HDX is very cool.   For $$ reasons I have not installed the IMS yet but it's on the list.    

16 hours ago, SpamPilot said:

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on their experience connecting a SkyView HDX to a GPS navigator.  I'm specifically interested in the GNX 375, which I already have (maybe 231MJ can comment based on his GNX 175 experience).  Here's the thing - SkyView is not on the compatibility list found in the Garmin 375 installation manual (some other EFISes are).  The IM specifically says that any equipment not on the compatibility list requires "additional airworthiness approval", which my avionics shop says means a Field Approval.  Since the STC for the GNX 375 requires that the GNX 375 be installed IAW the IM, then you are not allowed to connect the GNX 375 to SkyView, at least not without a Field Approval.

You would expect a SkyView to be able to talk to the GNX 375 over ARINC with the appropriate interfaces, so that would address at least a part of the concerns you would need to address for a Field Approval.  There might also be concerns that the ARINC implementation of the GNX 375 plays well with the ARINC implementation of SkyView.  Yes, ARINC 429 is a standard, but SkyView is not TSO'd or otherwise independently evaluated with respect to requirements and standards, so when you have to certify the SkyView+GNX 375 as a system, there's no simple argument that allows you to conclude the combination is airworthy, especially for IFR operations.

To be clear, the STCs allow you to install both in your panel, you just can't connect them.

I was considering the GNX 375 to pair with the Dynon system I just purchased. Dynon says that it will work. It was a nightmare deciding which GPS unit to go with but I finally decided on the IFD540 after initially promising myself that I wouldn't spend that much. I suggest calling Dynon. They have great customer service and answered questions for about 2 years before I bought anything. We are wiring mine for a future autopilot and a second screen. It looks like the second screen may have to be the 7". If anyone has two Skyview screens in a 201/231 style panel id like to see pics