Having to cross county lines for a little Chinese food. But well worth it in the Mooney!!

xcrmckenna

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:
Damn! You have to be REMOTE not to have a Chinese restaurant.

We only have ONE street light in the whole county, and don’t have a McDonald’s either.....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by xcrmckenna

Yeah, you’re pretty isolated if I heard your home airport call correctly:

0ea7b9f9070630dc4d1a01634258a55f.jpg

Yep!!! KGCD John Day Oregon is pretty much the middle of no where. By car the closest Costco is three hours away.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:01 PM, xcrmckenna said:

Yep!!! KGCD John Day Oregon is pretty much the middle of no where. By car the closest Costco is three hours away.

I've lived many places far less remote [I'm now in Town #22], and finally saw my first-ever Costco when I moved here. It's ~40 miles from the house. And Eclectic has one red light, but the road that pulls off the highway is only on one side, not a crossroad . . . .

• Like 1

I've lived many places far less remote [i'm now in Town #22], and finally saw my first-ever Costco when I moved here. It's ~40 miles from the house. And Eclectic has one red light, but the road that pulls off the highway is only on one side, not a crossroad . . . .

Yep, that’s pretty remote!!!

I can attest to the fact that [mention=12769]xcrmckenna[/mention] lives in the middle of BFE   Egads, you've really grown out the beard since I last saw you! 

It would be even longer if the better half wasn’t making sure it didn’t get out of hand...:)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I lived in Charlotte NC, I flew out to Clemson SC to get myself some Raising Cane's ... only to find out the restaurant was part of Clemson University's campus and they were closed for the summer break. That day probably ranks high up on my "saddest days" list.

12 minutes ago, Minivation said:

When I lived in Charlotte NC, I flew out to Clemson SC to get myself some Raising Cane's ... only to find out the restaurant was part of Clemson University's campus and they were closed for the summer break. That day probably ranks high up on my "saddest days" list.

can u recommend other restaurants or places of interest near CEU?  I did a touch n go there once (yeah that's right, I'm crazy like that) but haven't explored the area.  wondering if it's a good fly-to-eat location.  I still want to go there to get a round of golf on the walker course one of these days.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:46 AM, eman1200 said:

can u recommend other restaurants or places of interest near CEU?  I did a touch n go there once (yeah that's right, I'm crazy like that) but haven't explored the area.  wondering if it's a good fly-to-eat location.  I still want to go there to get a round of golf on the walker course one of these days.

I'm afraid I've only been there (Clemson) a grand total of 3 hours, plus a few minutes since I've driven by it a few times on I-85. On the particular trip I mentioned my friends and I eventually discovered Cook-Out (a burger chain). Although I enjoyed it at the time, I honestly can't recommend it since their burgers now give me terrible stomachaches. :( I'm not sure what kind of food Clemson would have, especially considering it's really a college town, so I can only expect most of the restaurants there would be geared towards catering lower-priced eats for college students.

I'm sure you've probably heard of BQ1 (Pik N Pig BBQ restaurant is literally on the airfield, and yes, BQ1 is indeed the identifier). Having lived in Texas a few years, I'm still a diehard Mesquite brisket fan (more of the meat and less of the sauce) but objectively speaking, Pik N Pig still churns out good Carolina-style BBQ.

Charlotte NC has a few airports sorta arranged concentrically around uptown (main city). Namely, Rock Hill (UZA) is around 7 o' clock, Monroe Exec (EQY) at 4 o' clock, and Concord-Padgett (JQF) at 2 o' clock, although be advised, JQF does have a ramp fee.

• Let's Meat, located near uptown, is an all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ place (one of the best KBBQ places I know in the Eastern US), although on weekends be prepared for a 2-3 hour wait list (a testament to their popularity).
  • Mr. Tokyo is an all-you-can-eat sushi/hibachi restaurant and unlike a lot of sushi buffet places, this place is legit and their food is fresh. They have three locations in Charlotte, but I've only been to their Hwy 74 (Independent Expwy) location.
  • Jeni's Ice Creams is a great after-dinner dessert place where you can grab a cone and hang out with friends.
  • Amelie's is an exquisite French-style bakery and cafe. Also a great snack/coffee type of place. My favorite off of their menu is their salted caramel brownie and salted caramel latte (did I mention that I like salted caramel?). They have multiple locations around Charlotte. I remember I did all my commercial written exam studying at their Rock Hill location.
  • Chokh Di Noodle House is a Vietnamese/Thai restaurant run by a friend of a friend, and I can confidently say they make the best Vietnamese pho in the area. The physical store itself is relatively small and located in a strip-mall type of setting, but they did a really nice job furnishing the inside area. Located in Hwy 74.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Minivation said:

I'm afraid I've only been there (Clemson) a grand total of 3 hours, plus a few minutes since I've driven by it a few times on I-85. On the particular trip I mentioned my friends and I eventually discovered Cook-Out (a burger chain). Although I enjoyed it at the time, I honestly can't recommend it since their burgers now give me terrible stomachaches. :( I'm not sure what kind of food Clemson would have, especially considering it's really a college town, so I can only expect most of the restaurants there would be geared towards catering lower-priced eats for college students.

I'm sure you've probably heard of BQ1 (Pik N Pig BBQ restaurant is literally on the airfield, and yes, BQ1 is indeed the identifier). Having lived in Texas a few years, I'm still a diehard Mesquite brisket fan (more of the meat and less of the sauce) but objectively speaking, Pik N Pig still churns out good Carolina-style BBQ.

Charlotte NC has a few airports sorta arranged concentrically around uptown (main city). Namely, Rock Hill (UZA) is around 7 o' clock, Monroe Exec (EQY) at 4 o' clock, and Concord-Padgett (JQF) at 2 o' clock, although be advised, JQF does have a ramp fee.

• Let's Meat, located near uptown, is an all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ place (one of the best KBBQ places I know in the Eastern US), although on weekends be prepared for a 2-3 hour wait list (a testament to their popularity).
  • Mr. Tokyo is an all-you-can-eat sushi/hibachi restaurant and unlike a lot of sushi buffet places, this place is legit and their food is fresh. They have three locations in Charlotte, but I've only been to their Hwy 74 (Independent Expwy) location.
  • Jeni's Ice Creams is a great after-dinner dessert place where you can grab a cone and hang out with friends.
  • Amelie's is an exquisite French-style bakery and cafe. Also a great snack/coffee type of place. My favorite off of their menu is their salted caramel brownie and salted caramel latte (did I mention that I like salted caramel?). They have multiple locations around Charlotte. I remember I did all my commercial written exam studying at their Rock Hill location.
  • Chokh Di Noodle House is a Vietnamese/Thai restaurant run by a friend of a friend, and I can confidently say they make the best Vietnamese pho in the area. The physical store itself is relatively small and located in a strip-mall type of setting, but they did a really nice job furnishing the inside area. Located in Hwy 74.

I went to the pig yesterday, it's one of my favorite places to go.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

I went to the pig yesterday, it's one of my favorite places to go.

Ah, I almost could have been there yesterday too. I was too busy buttoning up the plane after I had it in pieces in order to fix a fuel leak in the belly. Maybe next week. :)

1 hour ago, Minivation said:

Ah, I almost could have been there yesterday too. I was too busy buttoning up the plane after I had it in pieces in order to fix a fuel leak in the belly. Maybe next week. :)

looks like you're in VA so I'm sure you're aware of the restaurant at MTV......tasty food but super busy on the weekends.

It think the OP's beard needs it's own zip code.

Thanks, 1NU gets top billing for the lead role in the videos. But the beard is the lead supporting role!!! That’s why the channel is getting branded, The Bearded Mooney:)

• Haha 2