Flying in Hobby Houston

231LV

My wife and I are traveling to Houston next month and it looks like Hobby is the closest to Downtown (our destination). Sugerland is also a possibioity. Any thoughts of a good FBO at Hobby or is it an airport best avoided for GA?

54 minutes ago, 231LV said:

My wife and I are traveling to Houston next month and it looks like Hobby is the closest to Downtown (our destination). Sugerland is also a possibioity. Any thoughts of a good FBO at Hobby or is it an airport best avoided for GA?

Mooney central is KDWH,  what are you trying to get to downtown?  How long will you be staying?

13 hours ago, McMooney said:

Mooney central is KDWH,  what are you trying to get to downtown?  How long will you be staying?

Doctors appointment...depends upon weather, frankly. We were planning on continuing on to New Orleans, then up toward Tennessee to visit friends but if it's raining, it may be a quick turnaround of a day or two...

5 minutes ago, 231LV said:

Doctors appointment...depends upon weather, frankly. We were planning on continuing on to New Orleans, then up toward Tennessee to visit friends but if it's raining, it may be a quick turnaround of a day or two...

The Dr office is in the Museum District near the Zoo

15 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

I assume that you have already searched the airport FBO apps.  And you have seen that that at Hobby (like all major airports with Class B airspace) 100LL is $1.00-2.00 more and tie-down and landing fees are much higher as compared to KSGR - Sugar Land.  If money is no object go to Hobby.

With COVID, the freeways in Houston are not that bad.  Actually, if you don't want to take the freeway, the easiest way to get to the Med Center from KSGR is to take Highway 90 which is adjacent the runway.  It goes directly to the Med Center turning into Main Street.  Driving from Sugar Land to the Med Center is only about 5-10 minutes more than coming from a Hobby FBO.

yea...the points you make regarding the higher costs and more importantly, the higher stress (my wife struggles with muscular dystrophy which is one reason for her dr visit and she doesn't need additional stresses on her) is why we will use Sugarland Regional....less hassle and easier....and a bit less expensive

• Like 2

+1 for SGR, easy in and out. Very hospitable FBO too. While HOU is closer to downtown/medical center it caters more to the larger jets. Also cost of 100LL is several $/gal higher. If you do choose HOU, Wilson air has the cheapest fuel and most reasonable to deal with in my experience. 

7 hours ago, Tx_Aggie said:

Also cost of 100LL is several $/gal higher. If you do choose HOU, Wilson air has the cheapest fuel and most reasonable to deal with in my experience. 

As of this morning, the 100LL at Wilson at KHOU is $4.99.  The Full serv at KSGR (just to keep apples to apples) is $4.40.  So not as bad a difference as some have posted. 

However, The last time I flew into KHOU, it was very busy with Southwest Airlines.  I had to make multiple 360 turns, turn off final and come back and at the last moment while on final for RWY 31L was switched to a very close in base to final on RWY 4.

So I would choose SugarLand for that reason and not for fuel reasons.  The amount of time I spent being re-routed for a final approach and getting out of the way of SWA, I could have been on the ground and in the car at SugarLand and according to googlemaps KSGR is 27min from the museum district downtown and Hobby is 20 minutes (barring no bad traffic).  A wash when you factor in the possibility of having to fly around waiting for your turn in between SWA flights. :D 

• Like 1

I flew into HOU about 8 years ago.  Wasn't too bad had a long wait on departure was IFR if I remember correctly.  I should have just left VFR  would have been able to get out a few minutes earlier.  I've also gone to Pearland KLVJ,  Sugarland KSGR, West Houston KIWS and Hooks KDWH all have been fine.

Oh if you get to New Orleans PM me we can meet up for a beer if you want.  We probably have to go outside N.O. proper due to the screwy mayor.  In New Orleans at KNEW use Flight line first.

5 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

I flew into HOU about 8 years ago.  Wasn't too bad had a long wait on departure was IFR if I remember correctly.  I should have just left VFR  would have been able to get out a few minutes earlier.  I've also gone to Pearland KLVJ,  Sugarland KSGR, West Houston KIWS and Hooks KDWH all have been fine.

Oh if you get to New Orleans PM me we can meet up for a beer if you want.  We probably have to go outside N.O. proper due to the screwy mayor.  In New Orleans at KNEW use Flight line first.

Love KNEW but i swear they think their avgas is made of pure gold,  6$ plus at signature. yeah i know signature but i guess you have to pay for the amenities somehow.

20 minutes ago, McMooney said:

Love KNEW but i swear they think their avgas is made of pure gold,  6$ plus at signature. yeah i know signature but i guess you have to pay for the amenities somehow.

Well at my airport it about $3.50 but the accommodations are not as nice and it's a grass strip.