IO360A1A Roller Lifters Possible?

3 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

It looks as if my engine may be getting a new lease on life at a premature age.  Is it possible and/or practical to modify for roller lifters at overhaul time?

Supposedly the only way to get roller lifters is a factory new or rebuilt.  You can get DLC coated lifters though and those are supposed to remedy the cam spalling issue just as well.

DLC would be a great upgrade of the same thing...  no complaints have showed up around here that I can recall...

May be too soon still...

If you want something different... IO390 might be a way to increase a fuzzy feeling you get when you fly...  an improvement for T/O and climb, not much for cruise... unless you like the cost of FF vs. Speed...

Would it be possible to get a cam with the DLC on the lobes, and roller followers..?

It has been reported, that there isn’t a way to get the roller cam followers without changing the case...

Doing that, may require some fancy negotiating skills...

Sounds like I could spend a few AMUs of OPM this way...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

The only way to put roller lifters in a certified engine is to get a case from Lycoming. You can do this two ways.... you can buy a factory overhaul or reman exchange engine and get it that way, or there actually is a roller case in my shop that I need to get certified, but that would build you a roller motor too.