Mysterious baffle cutout (1965 M20E)

Greetings fellow members,

My mechanic noticed this hole in the baffle, looking down the inlet on the pilot side. It appears that there may have been a hose or breather line passing through at one time but now there is nothing. Would anyone know its intended purpose?

Thanks in advance!

BaffleHole.jpg

Edited by SoccerCA
Clarification

@SoccerCA,

I sense your dissatisfaction, with my response...

Yet I can’t understand what part you don’t like?

1) You got a new piece of hardware...

2) Whoever did the work, didn’t finish the job...

3) to finish the job, you need a new seal...  the old piece of felt doesn’t fit, and air pressure leaks by when seals aren’t working as designed...

4) I gave you the contact info for the Seal Guy that many MSers use...

5) I also let you know how I got confused while reading your request...

6) The air intake, you mentioned... I was looking for your air intake, that has a filter on one end, and sometimes a carburetor on the other...

Let me know how I can do better...  :)

I’m only a PP, not a mechanic...  it’s like my first day here...

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/21/2021 at 6:25 PM, SoccerCA said:

Greetings fellow members,

My mechanic noticed this hole in the baffle, looking down the inlet on the pilot side. It appears that there may have been a hose or breather line passing through at one time but now there is nothing. Would anyone know its intended purpose?

Thanks in advance!

BaffleHole.jpg

I imagine that the plane used to have a SkyTec starter with the external solenoid.

Lycoming PM/LS

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will vouch for GEE-BEE's seals. I had been fighting high CHT's in my C for quite awhile. My IA said that the doghouse was pretty tight but the seals were wearing down, well we ended up replacing all the seals and like magic, all my temps were great!

Just now, mooniacX said:

I will vouch for GEE-BEE's seals. I had been fighting high CHT's in my C for quite awhile. My IA said that the doghouse was pretty tight but the seals were wearing down, well we ended up replacing all the seals and like magic, all my temps were great!

Thanks for the input. Can’t wait to get rid of old stiff seal. 

11 minutes ago, mooniacX said:

Your doghouse has seals???

20170119_180521.thumb.jpg.aae803cb0fc4eda1fb8cb8232fbe1b3b.jpg

20170119_180754.thumb.jpg.dfaf39012d38a691fc66cc937e88062e.jpg

5 hours ago, Hank said:

Your doghouse has seals???

My '68 G model is very similar to yours, Hank.  Aluminum screwed to aluminum all along the edges with no flexible baffles other than along the top near the prop.  I've seen pics of others with baffles all around.  Mine rec'd a scoop closure mod from a previous owner that may have included a doghouse mod.