M20J Elevator Interchangeability

Seth1001

I've got a '77 M20J with a right elevator that was crumpled a little bit by the previous owner. It still flies but it's an eyesore on an otherwise nice looking airplane. It's really hard to find a "J" elevator for sale. Does anyone know if a "K" or a corrugated "E" elevator is identical to the "J"? Maybe an "F"? A "G"? Would an elevator from the "M" work? They can't all be slightly different. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Seth1001 said:

I haven't seen the actual part number for sale anywhere on the internet in the last 9 months. What's a man to do?

Simple step....

1) CB test... are you a CB, or not a CB...   :)

2) If you answer yes to the CB question... your interests are in saving dough.... yet getting the job done correctly...

3) if you have excess dough... go immediately to your nearest MSC... have them buy the part new from Mooney... they have the skills, training, and tools required to execute the job...

4) know that some MSCs are better than others, so get a pirep or recommendation...

5) If you are a proud CB... you have joined a well respected club....

6) To get this job done as a proud CB... you look up the part numbers the best you can from the parts manual... for your plane

7) A little effort is all it takes to find an appropriate parts manual for your plane... everyone should have one...

8) Parts manuals are not required for an owner to have... owners just get so much use out of them they make sense...

9) check the downloads section...

10) Order one through your local MSC... it’s a digital document, probably available as a email....

11) How do you feel about posting pics?  Would this be helpful..?

12) Do you have a favorite mechanic to work with? What did he recommend?

13) As much as you may want to do this work yourself... this is not on the owner maintenance list... it is pretty far from owner maintenance...

14) maybe you have the part number, just forgot to mention it...

15) write the part number down, with the description you have above...

16) invite Alan, Jerry, and Shery to review their inventory of pre-flown parts...

17) Ask them to quote the price of the part and shipping it to where you’re mechanic is going to be...

18) a typical replacement will require stripping and painting... or flying around in a calico Mooney... Mark is flying around in my favorite Calico Mooney...

PP thoughts only...

-a-

To save the most money...

The FAR says I can totally do this myself as long as it's not a modification, but a direct replacement. I just paid $2400 for a basic 500 hr mag repair, so I'm done having anybody else do work for me. The only thing I'm going to pay somebody to do from now on is the annual inspection. I have a part manual...it's part 430026-002. Now that I've put more effort into searching...I see that it's the same as the corrugated "E" model as well as the "M" model. I guess we got to the bottom of that. Now it's time to get it for less than $1k. I can't live like this. It cost millions to keep this thing flying...especially if you want it looking good in the process.

Seth,

I’m pretty well mis-understanding your take on what is acceptable for owner maintenance...

But, that’s up to you to handle...

It does clear up the question about how much dough you have available to spend... :)

Lets re-group tomorrow...

You have everything you need to get to where you want to go...

I do appreciate your honesty!

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Don’t think you’ll find a serviceable used elevator for less than $1K. Check the salvage places. As of a couple of years ago you could buy new skins from Mooney for less than $1K. If you are good at sheet metal work and paint that’s your cheapest option.

If your part has ribs and a smooth skin, send your part to Beegles Aircraft, Greeley, CO.  They will get a new skin and rebuild it.

If it is of the Corrugated variety as is everything after about 1969, then you are SOL as there are really only two parts, the two corrugated skins riveted together.

John Breda

46 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

If your part has ribs and a smooth skin, send your part to Beegles Aircraft, Greeley, CO.  They will get a new skin and rebuild it.

If it is of the Corrugated variety as is everything after about 1969, then you are SOL as there are really only two parts, the two corrugated skins riveted together.

John Breda

I don't understand: If it has ribs, you get new skins and rivet them to the ribs. If it is "corrugated" you get new skins and rivet them together. What am I missing?

Correct me if I’m wrong. 
“Skins” for the earlier type are not a specific part but sheet aluminum.

As sheet aluminum a mechanic can make them out of the correct material.

The later type are specific parts made only by Mooney. They were un available when I needed them and was forced to find a usable used part.

23 hours ago, PT20J said:

I don't understand: If it has ribs, you get new skins and rivet them to the ribs. If it is "corrugated" you get new skins and rivet them together. What am I missing?

The corrugated control surfaces have no internal structure.  The formed corrugation are the structure.  If you damage 1 skin, you likely have damaged both.  There is no internal structure to save or rebuild.  

John Breda