Getting back into flying

Demon Deacon

I have recently acquired a Mooney Acclaim Ultra (I have an amazing wife who insisted we get another airplane!)and need to do a few things. I flew my last Mooney in 2010 and then a T206( a friends) until 2016. No flying since. We have relocated out west and will need to fly in the Northwest (Montana and Oregon specifically)for business and pleasure. I need a few recommendations:

1) Obviously I need to get current again (in the Acclaim) and I DEFINITELY need help getting educated and experience in mountain flying. Not just VFR in the mountains but also IFR and education in adverse weather since Ice is a way of life in the Northwest. ( I've flown mainly in the Southeast for many years). Ideas?

2) Possible contacts for instructors with experience in mountain flying/Mooneys,etc.. and willing to travel to Montana (whitefish) or Oregon in Late February or March

Thanks!

Excited to be back in the Mooney family

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ron McBride said:

Don Kaye might be interested, hopefully he will chime in soon. 

I would be interested.  I get my first vaccine shot next Tuesday on the 26th.  3 weeks later the second shot.   Then another 2 weeks to build up immunity.  Sounds like around the beginning of March could work.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Demon Deacon said:

I have recently acquired a Mooney Acclaim Ultra (I have an amazing wife who insisted we get another airplane!)and need to do a few things. I flew my last Mooney in 2010 and then a T206( a friends) until 2016. No flying since. We have relocated out west and will need to fly in the Northwest (Montana and Oregon specifically)for business and pleasure. I need a few recommendations:

1) Obviously I need to get current again (in the Acclaim) and I DEFINITELY need help getting educated and experience in mountain flying. Not just VFR in the mountains but also IFR and education in adverse weather since Ice is a way of life in the Northwest. ( I've flown mainly in the Southeast for many years). Ideas?

2) Possible contacts for instructors with experience in mountain flying/Mooneys,etc.. and willing to travel to Montana (whitefish) or Oregon in Late February or March

Thanks!

Excited to be back in the Mooney family

What’s your secret?

Plenty of MSers would like to fish in the same lake you were at..!

:)

+1 on Don K.  Right man for the right plane...

If something doesn’t work in Don’s schedule... Paul Kortopates will be great too...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Demon Deacon said:

I have recently acquired a Mooney Acclaim Ultra (I have an amazing wife who insisted we get another airplane

That's called a "double winner"...a wife who supports such a large purchase / time commitment AND the financial means to make it happen.   

Welcome back!

• Like 5