Looking for a Fiki Ovation

Yariv

Just sold my 1998 Ovation today. The main reason was to upgrade it to a newer model of Ovation with Fiki. I will consider Acclaim as well depending on price and G1000 WAAS upgrade status among other factors. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hmmm....

Would probably have to ask the TKS people what differences there are over the years...

The ones I’m familiar with are FIKI vs. non-FIKI

Lets put a call in to the Fiki folks... @CAV Ice @CAV Ice Protection (Differences between a Y2K Fiki sytstem and a 2020 Fiki system?)

They are quite helpful when describing their details...

Of course you can always ask Jimmy... When it comes to Mooney details... Jimmy knows them and how much each detail costs...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I believe CAV purchased the STC in 2005 from AS&T. I have a 2002 O with TKS. I deal with CAV for support. I can’t imagine any changes as there is only one STC. Changes would require a separate STC. Just speculation. 

• Like 3

AS&T changed names to CAV, so we are the same company.  Original release for the FIKI was early 1995.  Late 1995 updated the tail bracket assembly, 1996 we changed rivet specifications, 1999 added control panel option, 2004 added a two-blade propeller option and other minor adds through 2009.  Admendments were added to the original STC for all these. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Only because I've spoken with CAV over the last couple of weeks about an unrelated issue, asked the same question, and saw your post...

Easily north of $70,000 for the "K", "M", "R", "S", and "TN" Fiki solution.  The "J" can be equipped for inadvertent icing only...it doesn't have a FiKi option available.

1 hour ago, StevenL757 said:

Only because I've spoken with CAV over the last couple of weeks about an unrelated issue, asked the same question, and saw your post...

Easily north of $70,000 for the "K", "M", "R", "S", and "TN" Fiki solution.  The "J" can be equipped for inadvertent icing only...it doesn't have a FiKi option available.

Considering that it is difficult to find a long body never mind one with FIKI. Is $70,000 that bad? Some people put 70K in there panel. I know a Bravo engine is that much. 

If you have a airplane that is exactly how you want it (except for the TKS) you know it inside and out no with unknown problems. Would you have it installed on your airplane? I think I would.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tim Jodice said:

Considering that it is difficult to find a long body never mind one with FIKI. Is $70,000 that bad? Some people put 70K in there panel. I know a Bravo engine is that much. 

If you have a airplane that is exactly how you want it (except for the TKS) you know it inside and out no with unknown problems. Would you have it installedonyourairplane? I think I would.

Some people sit on the sidelines for years (decades?) trying to find a good deal on a aircraft to save 30k, so for them probably not. 

In the past the FIKI option was worth ~20k on the used market. Now with everyone wanting one it’ll probably add 25-30k. Still the investment takes a big hit when freshly installed. Probably would only have to save your life once or twice to be worth it ;) 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tim Jodice said:

If you have a airplane that is exactly how you want it (except for the TKS) you know it inside and out no with unknown problems. Would you have it installedonyourairplane? I think I would.

Absolutely.  As I also mentioned to the fine folks at CAV, having their system installed was one of the top two factors that led me to buy the airplane.  The full system was installed only a couple of years before I bought the plane, but if I had to pay to have it installed on another compatible aircraft going forward, I would without hesitation.

I have to add...as an unsolicited remark, with no official connection whatsoever to CAV...that in my experiences, the customer service, effort, and knowledge base have been exemplary.  They have forgotten more than I'll probably learn about the system, and I feel confident that any problems, issues, etc. that I may run into will be resolved to the best of their ability and to my satisfaction.

Edited by StevenL757
Additional comment

17 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Some people sit on the sidelines for years (decades?) trying to find a good deal on a aircraft to save 30k, so for them probably not. 

In the past the FIKI option was worth ~20k on the used market. Now with everyone wanting one it’ll probably add 25-30k. Still the investment takes a big hit when freshly installed. Probably would only have to save your life once or twice to be worth it ;) 

No doubt you would not spend $70,000 if you didn't plan on keeping it for a while. Like avionics you loose big time if you do the work then sell it 6 months later.

An option only if you will personally get the use out of it.

I think it adds alot of utility to an airplane.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Absolutely.  As I also mentioned to the fine folks at CAV, having their system installed was one of the top two factors that led me to buy the airplane.  The full system was installed only a couple of years before I bought the plane, but if I had to pay to have it installed on another compatible aircraft going forward, I would without hesitation.

I have to add...as an unsolicited remark, with no official connection whatsoever to CAV...that in my experiences, the customer service, effort, and knowledge base have been exemplary.  They have forgotten more than I'll probably learn about the system, and I feel confident that any problems, issues, etc. that I may run into will be resolved to the best of their ability and to my satisfaction.

+1 I had my pump overhauled and bought https://www.cav-systems.com/store/tks-pump-flow-rate-test-kit-mooney/ 

great communication, on time repair.

If you already have a plane you like and the only thing it lacks is TKS then I think it is reasonable to add FIKI. The costs of buying and selling + squawks on the new plane can add up to a lot. But if you are shopping, or FIKI is not possible for your current model then I think it pays to find a Mooney with FIKI already installed.

I had a J but really wanted FIKI and also a turbo. So the only option was to buy an upgrade and sell the old one. But the search can be long, so I didn’t sell until after I bought the new one. I used a HELOC to bridge the few months I had both.

• 3 months later...

I finally found my next Ovation - 2004 Ovation 2 GX, Fiki, G1000, and GFC700. My next expensive purchase will be an external power unit so that I can play with the G1000 without draining the battery.

• Like 2

Just now, Yariv said:

I finally found my next Ovation - 2004 Ovation 2 GX, Fiki, G1000, and GFC700. My next expensive purchase will be an external power unit so that I can play with the G1000 without draining the battery.

as long as you know how to use the comms, and audio panel, you should be able to learn how to use the G1000 during basic VFR flight. Carenado also makes a G1000 Mooney ovation for Xplane and FSX. Probably cheaper than an external power unit.

7 minutes ago, Yariv said:

ya know...

Pics or it didn’t happen!  :)

Congrats!

There is a thread around here for power supplies...

Many use their battery chargers / MatteryMinder to see how far they can get....

Good luck learning the G1000 quickly...  this is a genuine wish for good luck...  it shouldn’t  be that hard...

Best regards,

-a-