G1000 Database Errors and XM Weather Failure

TGreen

Did some flying over the past two days and had two different bugs for the first time, maybe unrelated but I don't know.

On the G1000 PFD got error alerts that the terrain databases were either missing or errors exist (can't remember which). But then on the next flight there was no error alert.

On one flight all of my XM weather products gradually disappeared (metars, airmets/sigmets, precip). Some disappeared before others but over time they all disappeared. Then on the next flight they were all back.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Any issues with updating your databases recently?  Not sure if this airplane has been WAAS-upgraded yet via the GIA63W modules, but this sounds like a DB issue that was resolved with a reboot...based on a couple of my experiences with similarly-equipped G1000 Ovations.  In short, I wouldn't be concerned unless it becomes a regular occurrence.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Any issues with updating your databases recently?  Not sure if this airplane has been WAAS-upgraded yet via the GIA63W modules, but this sounds like a DB issue that was resolved with a reboot...based on a couple of my experiences with similarly-equipped G1000 Ovations.  In short, I wouldn't be concerned unless it becomes a regular occurrence.

Thanks. No issues with recent updates and all databases are up to date. Have not done the WAAS upgrade. Just weird when a couple of seemingly unrelated things go buggy at the same time. 

I was seeing intermittent issues with one of the database cards.  Sometimes the database would just go away.  Swapped all the data onto a new card and that problem went away. (Make sure you use a 2GB card in these older MFDs...they get finicky with anything bigger than that.)

I did have a weird problem a few weeks ago when installing the latest updates.  I had installed all the updates and then flipped on the master, but flipped it off again very quickly (like within a second or two) because...well, it doesn't matter why.  What does matter is that when I flipped the master again, the system came up shouting alarm errors because somehow GIA#1 wouldn't come online.  I let it sit there for several minutes, tried recycling a few times, same problem. GIA#1 was stubbornly dormant.  I even called the Garmin AOG line (it was a Sunday) and got a call back from none-other than Trek Lawler himself, but he was stumped and suggested it was time to visit a repair shop.

All that talking and waiting took over a half-hour, so I just decided to give it one more try, and of course everything booted fine. And has worked perfectly since then for several flights.  I just love it when these problems resolve themselves without ever explaining themselves.  Gives a lot of confidence...not!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 11:54 AM, TGreen said:

Did some flying over the past two days and had two different bugs for the first time, maybe unrelated but I don't know.

On the G1000 PFD got error alerts that the terrain databases were either missing or errors exist (can't remember which). But then on the next flight there was no error alert.

On one flight all of my XM weather products gradually disappeared (metars, airmets/sigmets, precip). Some disappeared before others but over time they all disappeared. Then on the next flight they were all back.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

? Something may be due to the new var mag upgrade or a later upgrade, I’ve had no issues and recently updated the mag var, went flying today on final approach I lost terrain and GPS guidance which never occurred before. I have the WAAS upgrade and later software based on the above statements it must  be a new software issue

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

I was seeing intermittent issues with one of the database cards.  Sometimes the database would just go away.  Swapped all the data onto a new card and that problem went away. (Make sure you use a 2GB card in these older MFDs...they get finicky with anything bigger than that.)

I did have a weird problem a few weeks ago when installing the latest updates.  I had installed all the updates and then flipped on the master, but flipped it off again very quickly (like within a second or two) because...well, it doesn't matter why.  What does matter is that when I flipped the master again, the system came up shouting alarm errors because somehow GIA#1 wouldn't come online.  I let it sit there for several minutes, tried recycling a few times, same problem. GIA#1 was stubbornly dormant.  I even called the Garmin AOG line (it was a Sunday) and got a call back from none-other than Trek Lawler himself, but he was stumped and suggested it was time to visit a repair shop.

All that talking and waiting took over a half-hour, so I just decided to give it one more try, and of course everything booted fine. And has worked perfectly since then for several flights.  I just love it when these problems resolve themselves without ever explaining themselves.  Gives a lot of confidence...not!

Since last year, I have been getting these terrain, Gia, dB crosstalk and other failures when updating. I have found that by giving it time to replicate across and restarting more than once, it goes away. I suspect something changed in the files or how it updates. It seems to take longer to replicate, or more than one startup. One option might be to load the PFD and MFD lower slot databases separately and individually, instead of replicating from the mfd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danb said:

? Something may be due to the new var mag upgrade or a later upgrade, I’ve had no issues and recently updated the mag var, went flying today on final approach I lost terrain and GPS guidance which never occurred before. I have the WAAS upgrade and later software based on the above statements it must  be a new software issue

I had this problem prior to the mag var upgrade. Precisely this issue, which started last year. Mag var upgrade made it better and I hav don’t had this problem once all databases were updated and sync’d. Per my prior comment, it takes time and a couple restarts to help this happen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TGreen said:

Thanks all. Both problems seem to have resolved themselves. No more database errors on the PFD and all of the XM weather products are back. Still not sure what happened or why it's no longer happening. But I'll take it.

Something for all of us to monitor. While my outcome is the same as yours, something was creating this issue, starting last year.