Bigger cover for the main gear Mooney M20C will increase the speed?

Alfredo

I Have 200 hp and lots speeds mods but I am looking to get more 3 miles, I cruise right now 147 kt I am looking for 150, will this work.

thnks.... I have a bigger cover for the maim gear but I use the short one 

Edited by Alfredo
  • Like 1

Huh. @Alfredo, like almost all M20-Cs, mine has 180 hp and trues out at altitude at 147-148 KTAS, complete with the 3-blade prop everyone says costs me 3-5 knots.

If you have one of the few Cs upgraded to 200 hp IO-360 engine, you should easily pass 150 KTAS.

Which engine and prop do you have, and how are you checking your speed?

• Like 2

Way to go Alfredo!

Take a look at a long body... they have the most aerodynamic closing of doors...

Not sure if they could be mounted on a C.... but they can give you a lot of ideas...

See how well rigged your doors and landing gear are already...

Are your brake calipers moved to the other side already?

Have seen the Lasar check list of modifications that they offer...

Expect that last three ktas are the most expensive three...   :)

Have a look at aerostar’s post below... M20Es have a lot to compare with... looks like you have room to grow!

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

147 Kts true for a C with a 200hp engine seems low. Check rigging, my 71 E with a Top Prop trues out at 157 knots on a bad day. On a good day I can do 163.

Mods list:
Oil cooler relocation
Top Prop with 201 Spinner
Lasar Cowl Closure
Lasar Oil Cooler relocation

I looked at that Mooney several years ago, it sold before I was able to sell my RV.  Previous owner was getting 155 knots or so. What power settings are being used?  The engine had about 1600 hours at the time, has it been rebuilt?  Don't think the airframe is the reason for 147 knots in this case.

Have you checked the accuracy of the airspeed indicator? There is a simple leak check that can be performed on the pitot system (see the Service Manual). You can also do 4 way GPS true airspeed measurements (there are threads around or search for ntps airspeed spreadsheet). When the hangar warms up I'm going to track down a leak in mine -- it's low by 7 KIAS at cruise.

Skip

I just completed the windscreen conversion on my '62, only a handful of mods remaining without going injected (oil cooler relocation and flap gaps).  Yesterday was my 3rd flight since completing the windows and did 170mph, 2500ft, 2400 rpm 22", 13gph.  I'm not sure that my fuel flow isn't off by 10% or more judging by top offs vs 'used fuel', but it keeps me in a safe margin regardless.  Takeoff climb 90mph was 1500 fpm with just me and 20 gallons fuel.  Engine has 700 hours with port/polish/balance, powerflow, electroair, 3 blade.  I'm wishing for a composite prop for the A1D just to get rid of the rpm restrictions.

Now I'm curious about the J gear door in the initial question... is that a thing?

63245883078__E0D2CB79-B26E-4163-B132-1B94F97AD2F2.jpeg

IMG_3132.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 11:31 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard HH!

There is a brief discussion around here of somebody mounting an MT prop, and what they did since his plane was not on the STC list... MT was helpful in their guidance...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you, I'll look for that thread.  Heard good things about the MT's chip resistance on stol planes.  Also would like to be able to experiment with lower cruise rpm's let alone the 1950-2350 restriction distraction in the pattern.  Between that and a possible earthX battery I could lose 60-70 lbs off the front end.