Not gonna work in my J.  Oh well.

Ross

Not on my k either.

Phew!  That saves me a lot of money.

• Haha 3

Gents,

Try to be nice to Walter...

He is a supporter of Mooney Summit...

When you need a respite from the florida heat, his AC in a long body (display) is awesome...

All the details have been laid out prior...

https://mooneyspace.com/profile/18904-kelly-aerospace/

Walter had posted this last fall...

“The All Electric AC system for the Ovation is 28,500.00 complete, installed.  it takes 10 days in one of our facilities'.”

1) It is expensive

2) Requires sheet metal modifications

3) Is perfect for hot ground temps like in the south...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Air condition in cars is a fraction of the price........I know there are differences but 30k for cool air?  really?

I know there has been discussion of such things on here before but - 

What would it take for a CB to build their own, real air conditioner that is also portable and so legal to put in and remove.

There are air conditioner compressors out there.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ProAIR-12V-DC-Air-Conditioner-A-C-Compressor-7300-BTU-hr-Benling-DM18A7-AC/202916972654?hash=item2f3ecb486e:g:OvgAAOSwp3FdMy1g

could something portable be made with some large batteries - a pair of these claim 44amp hours each https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/optima-red-top-battery-group-size-35-720-cca-35/16940003-p?product_channel=local&store=6592&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=6592&gclid=CjwKCAiAo5qABhBdEiwAOtGmbs4qgHq8ETU4oQvJXs47MWNSxqs0m6r_wrsruZvS-Kg63MTiKNNO0BoCd6UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I haven't thought through anything really but seems like the physics works and the budget works.  Some kind of boxes to put it in and out of the luggage compartment.  Some kind of venting of the heat would be needed.

The point is in airplane application often you only need 20 minutes of air conditioning for ground ops and initial climb out and then 10 minutes near the end.  So could a big battery system do the trick - and charge the batteries later on the ground?  Remove the whole kit and caboodle for winter ops.

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I know there has been discussion of such things on here before but - 

What would it take for a CB to build their own, real air conditioner that is also portable and so legal to put in and remove.

There are air conditioner compressors out there.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ProAIR-12V-DC-Air-Conditioner-A-C-Compressor-7300-BTU-hr-Benling-DM18A7-AC/202916972654?hash=item2f3ecb486e:g:OvgAAOSwp3FdMy1g

could something portable be made with some large batteries - a pair of these claim 44amp hours each https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/optima-red-top-battery-group-size-35-720-cca-35/16940003-p?product_channel=local&store=6592&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=6592&gclid=CjwKCAiAo5qABhBdEiwAOtGmbs4qgHq8ETU4oQvJXs47MWNSxqs0m6r_wrsruZvS-Kg63MTiKNNO0BoCd6UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I haven't thought through anything really but seems like the physics works and the budget works.  Some kind of boxes to put it in and out of the luggage compartment.  Some kind of venting of the heat would be needed.

The point is in airplane application often you only need 20 minutes of air conditioning for ground ops and initial climb out and then 10 minutes near the end.  So could a big battery system do the trick - and charge the batteries later on the ground?  Remove the whole kit and caboodle for winter ops.

The simple system you proposed is essentially what we small business jets have. Just a basic electric 134a compressor in the nose. Biggest issue jn the Mooney would be where to put the condenser to get airflow. 

• Like 1

The Kelly Aerospace system installed Lsosb8o_ATawoZhzuz1F7wsp-xdLYvO_rZgj26AE31J5DbiPWb0nP5_jwcnLRVgy8UMXe1clFNQNnJnS3h7x9FDa_dpto6dzHHzFr3NaiM5jFbGLAQ0jz6cRyQMzIQzUikLnBcD5s8_kysHV57WP4YxfbodpYQmmL9QIRmlyzsutKLezK95y9iux5PwA5RfhdXVKnjA7luYgAAgHqm834PQNfqod6eQfQoHcTIkhqfsIkVrWIDoPlyK8ZAMCxd2RjzD8S6V0GkiImR-SBPQS0JTXy_wGh9RA_TtCsBBJK5U7z7XSnh58PCQYgfDp0eWKdAnOlQGBIayd8hcLCZJL2QrMHaNrhfcs3ThJ4QHvJ9thYmmG4fpX6CXy8mKAQ3yfOh7RXsl8BIhmx_JbVG6QWIgpm8AmB1ja6FMpK6za41wQyaDk7M5PwnsKl82NovLCpi5ERe7i5LpMBM_IveyXbi5IcwRtW92AASq4a_Gxqj9RESbFdvK9H08MozaKqmcR7drD9aczm5RVI5_uylrbPtMD3VXKQJglP5mQ5RVbr_ct9NE8VfmDGDHOK_12h0cIZ30J0Ipy2qx4Tu-ugOYGlHi67RPso57et-af8WXC7V3-ePEMDoK4nHzDE4_HYUD4lqVcQLR5tEr_JdWgZnk2DPURwnzsS8CwoZgWYajsDjZeNC9lkgms7MoWuoo8=w706-h941-no?authuser=0in a few of the new Ultras I have been in works great. The factory ac for I believe more $ isnt nearly as good based on my Florida Boy sweat reactor gauge. Notice the intake is out the side of the plane behind the radio rack (on the "2"), instead of a scoop on the underside causing drag.

• Like 2

Our system requires 28 volts so some of the older Mooney's are no an option yet.  the ground cooling and no flight restrictions are great!   the sheet metal modifications mentioned here are taken care of during the installation as well as the monor paint work.  being a Mooney man myself, i made sure the Hat Rack is still available !

wd

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

The Kelly Aerospace system installed Lsosb8o_ATawoZhzuz1F7wsp-xdLYvO_rZgj26AE31J5DbiPWb0nP5_jwcnLRVgy8UMXe1clFNQNnJnS3h7x9FDa_dpto6dzHHzFr3NaiM5jFbGLAQ0jz6cRyQMzIQzUikLnBcD5s8_kysHV57WP4YxfbodpYQmmL9QIRmlyzsutKLezK95y9iux5PwA5RfhdXVKnjA7luYgAAgHqm834PQNfqod6eQfQoHcTIkhqfsIkVrWIDoPlyK8ZAMCxd2RjzD8S6V0GkiImR-SBPQS0JTXy_wGh9RA_TtCsBBJK5U7z7XSnh58PCQYgfDp0eWKdAnOlQGBIayd8hcLCZJL2QrMHaNrhfcs3ThJ4QHvJ9thYmmG4fpX6CXy8mKAQ3yfOh7RXsl8BIhmx_JbVG6QWIgpm8AmB1ja6FMpK6za41wQyaDk7M5PwnsKl82NovLCpi5ERe7i5LpMBM_IveyXbi5IcwRtW92AASq4a_Gxqj9RESbFdvK9H08MozaKqmcR7drD9aczm5RVI5_uylrbPtMD3VXKQJglP5mQ5RVbr_ct9NE8VfmDGDHOK_12h0cIZ30J0Ipy2qx4Tu-ugOYGlHi67RPso57et-af8WXC7V3-ePEMDoK4nHzDE4_HYUD4lqVcQLR5tEr_JdWgZnk2DPURwnzsS8CwoZgWYajsDjZeNC9lkgms7MoWuoo8=w706-h941-no?authuser=0in a few of the new Ultras I have been in works great. The factory ac for I believe more $ isnt nearly as good based on my Florida Boy sweat reactor gauge. Notice the intake is out the side of the plane behind the radio rack (on the "2"), instead of a scoop on the underside causing drag.

Looks like something didn’t work... was that a video or a pic?

If video, drop into YouTube, share link here....

:)

-a-

Edited by carusoam