MooneySpace scam???

PJClark

56 minutes ago, PJClark said:

I got this email this morning and I'd be happy to make a new donation.  Problem is: my MS account uses my Gmail address, not my Yahoo address.  So I'm wondering if this is legit (Admin?) And if not, everyone heads up!

I similarly have disparate email addresses. The notice came to the address on file with PayPal account that I paid with.

There are more and more scams that impersonate websites.  When dealing with websites, always check the URL to confirm that it makes sense.  If making 

a donation to Mooneyspace or anywhere else, pay directly through a process you originate.  Do not accept a process originated by someone else.

John Breda

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

There are more and more scams that impersonate websites.  When dealing with websites, always check the URL to confirm that it makes sense.  If making 

a donation to Mooneyspace or anywhere else, pay directly through a process you originate.  Do not accept a process originated by someone else.

John Breda

It’s a legitimate url to PayPal. The account looks like the right name but it’s easy to change one letter etc. 

16 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

Yes, it is legit.  I just sent these out today.  Thanks for checking!

Also note that the membership expiration emails will go out to whatever email you used for PayPal and not your MS email on file.

Craig

Let's indeed support Craig - Craig I need to get you my support 2021!

Love Mooneyspace.

-Seth

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PJClark said:

I got this email this morning and I'd be happy to make a new donation.  Problem is: my MS account uses my Gmail address, not my Yahoo address.  So I'm wondering if this is legit (Admin?) And if not, everyone heads up!

As someone who makes his living, and funds his Mooney habit in this very field (Data Security), I really appreciate @PJClark posting this. Everyone should be very suspicious of ALL things when online. 

Obviously this letter is legitimate and appropriate and we're all in to support Craig and MooneySpace. But scams abound in the online world and it's prudent to be suspicious. 

I'd say this is a good way of approaching the issue with caution. 

1. Don't respond immediately but be suspicious.
  2. Bring the question to the larger community.
  3. Reach out to the party supposedly originating the letter. But do so not by replying, but through a separate channel.
  4. Confirm the validity of the letter and the reason for the email address used.

This is text book procedure and should be SOP for all of us when something online doesn't look right or is even mildly suspicious. This was not a scam and was 100% legitimate. But you can be sure, the actual scammers look legitimate as well.

Be careful out there!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2