Airspeed switch question

Let’s consider what the air speed switch does in Mooney installations...

1) It replaced the squat switch.

2) Its purpose is to avoid accidental retraction of the gear.

If thinking...

3) measuring air speed, and using logic to decide to put the gear down automatically like some Pipers did in the past...

4) That system was remembered for putting the gear down in unfavorable conditions...

5) or... are you thinking an air speed switch to activate a reminder like the gear horn?

6) Modernizing the automatic gear down function, is a real opportunity...

So...

Suddenly I realize... I’m not sure what exactly is being asked...   (probably just me)  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I’m thinking an airspeed switch to turn on the gear horn below a certain airspeed instead of below a certain manifold pressure.  Sometimes, coming in from over the mountains I need to lose about 8000’ within about 15 miles..  if an airspeed switch would click for the gear warning horn to go around 90 or so, I thought that might be better.  just thinking aloud.

• Thanks 1

I get it now!

Coming down over a Class B, close to home...

When carrying a lot of speed, the gear would still be up, the MP pulled... saving Gas on that last mile in...  

my finger would be holding the gear switch...

with all the quirky thoughts that come to mind with it...

with passengers wondering what that horn was...

wondering what the pilot is now reaching for...

+1 for a method of adding air speed to the gear up horn logic... 

If going this way, be sure to add a real voice for the gear announcement... there isn’t much time to get it figured out, when the horn gets mis-understood for something else...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI or mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

There are STC's for adding an airspeed speed switch for warning the gear is or isn't down - and there better than just tying into the gear sonalert since they give voice annunciations. Such as the P2 Audio Advisory system. But none of them allow removing the OEM throttle switch - they're all on top of the throttle switch. When it comes to gear warning, Mooney pilots prove every week you can't have too many warnings to get that gear down before landing. If you have 8000' to lose quickly why not put it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, not sure what you are using it for, but I got one from Aircraft Spruce that is STC'd for use with my Trig transponder for air or ground mode. Works great, I just leave my transponder in ALT mode and half way through my take off roll it goes to ALT mode. One less thing for me to think about. I was getting some air on ground mode errors when checking my ADS-B out after first installing it. No errors after airspeed switch install.

18 hours ago, MarkM20C said:

Yes, not sure what you are using it for, but I got one from Aircraft Spruce that is STC'd for use with my Trig transponder for air or ground mode. Works great, I just leave my transponder in ALT mode and half way through my take off roll it goes to ALT mode. One less thing for me to think about. I was getting some air on ground mode errors when checking my ADS-B out after first installing it. No errors after airspeed switch install.

Yea, I have the peregrine switch also for my tt22.   Yea, I was wondering about basically making the throttle switch inhibited unless airspeed is also below about 90.