Constant Flow O2 Flowmeter

irishpilot

Looking for MS recommendations. I've got a couple old Oxysaver constant flow cannulas that work well, but I need two more for the rear. It looks like these are made by Aerox. Before I buy their older style, it seems that Mountain High has breathing stations that come with their MH4 flowmeter. https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/bnc-breathing-station/?attribute_connector-type=SCOTT&attribute_flowmeter-type=MH4 Has anyone used the Mountain High flowmeters?

Just FYI, I'm not looking to step up to pulse-demand systems. Thanks in advance!

I have the Precise Flight flow meter. The constant flow system is fairly simple. You need to have a compatible connector to plug in to the ports, which is usually the Scott type, a cannula, and in between, one of the ball type flow meters. Looking at the picture of the Mountain High system it looks very similar to the Precise Flight meter, a ball in a scaled tube with a knob to dial the flow up and down. Everyone using O2 then controls their own O2 flow by just keeping the flow meter in their lap and checking it periodically. Looks to me like either the Mountain High or the Precise Flight would work. I have lots of experience with the Precise Flight but none with the Mountain High, the Precise Flight system works fine. Get an oximeter, it is useful to use it for awhile until you get a feel for what flow settings you need at given altitudes to keep your saturation up. After awhile, if you are like me, you will not need the oximeter, you will know what works and what doesn't on the flow meter, and the little ball in the meter will tell you if you have flow. Since you have a Bravo you should get a miked mask for at least the pilot for use above 18k. As I recall, the regular kits that include the flowmeter have a mask with a bag, but it is not miked and the pilot needs to be able to communicate without removing the mask. Miked mask are around $400, so I only have one for the pilot (me).

I have not found that the pouch- type cannulas allow using the lower flow scale marks on the flow meter. Others swear by them.

PS if you get the miked mask, the one I received years ago had the mike oriented vertically across the pilot's mouth, which did not work very well, the mike needs to be horizontal. I was able to bend my carefully into the horizontal position and there it has stayed for ten years, working fine.

• Like 2

Got it gents. I'll look at Precise A5. I've got lots of time at altitude and the Oxysavers work fine. I've got at least 50 hours on them. I just need two more O2 setups.

@kortopates anything specific that makes Precise better? Between MH and Precise equipping two seats is about $100 difference. 

I use the MH4 flow meter.  We have two for my wife and I.  It works fine, although the needle valve is a little sensitive and the lowest settings.  The connectors are just barbed for vinyl tubing, and different on each end, so make sure you have some extra tubing sizes to you can adjust, and cinch a zip tie around the tubing at the barbs.

• Like 1

Got it gents. I'll look at Precise A5. I've got lots of time at altitude and the Oxysavers work fine. I've got at least 50 hours on them. I just need two more O2 setups.
[mention=7862]kortopates[/mention] anything specific that makes Precise better? Between MH and Precise equipping two seats is about $100 difference. 

It has both mask and oxysaver ranges and the mechanism is easier to adjust precisely throughout the full range. What every Turbo pilot needs. NA pilots may not appreciate it as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2