This raised my blood pressure!

Flying back from La Paz to San Diego and am in the middle of absolutely nowhere (exactly what I suspect the surface of the moon looks like) and saw my RPM gauge flashing red and showing an overspeed prop.  Only lasted for a split second then went back to normal.  This happened probably 75 times.  I took a video (attached and first one is at 10 seconds).  Mechanic can’t duplicate.  No associated engine oddities noted so there’s that at least.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? 

53 minutes ago, Knuckledragger00 said:

Flying back from La Paz to San Diego and am in the middle of absolutely nowhere (exactly what I suspect the surface of the moon looks like) and saw my RPM gauge flashing red and showing an overspeed prop.  Only lasted for a split second then went back to normal.  This happened probably 75 times.  I took a video (attached and first one is at 10 seconds).  Mechanic can’t duplicate.  No associated engine oddities noted so there’s that at least.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? 

IMG_0293.MOV

Not a mechanic, but I would suspect a bad sensor or connection.  The prop has too much inertial mass to speed up and slow down that quickly, and  I didn't hear any change in RPM on the audio.

• Like 3

+1 for a sensor issue... you would have heard the sound change if it were real...

The sensor is probably a unique G1000/Mooney/ current/magnetic field sensing in the magneto device...

There are some old threads around here discussing some of the sensor failures....

Call your MSC to see how long the delivery of a new one is, just to get started...

Might be as simple as a loose or broken wire...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-