M20C crack found during annual. Worried.

So my AP found a crack where the flap arm mounts in the belly of the plane. I’m super worried this means the airframe is done for. Anyone with experience take a look at the pics and give any suggestions? Is this fixable or is the plane destined for the scrap heap? 

5D7F55B8-A14A-4782-A32F-33E27F86BA40.jpeg

96DB7B65-0591-470A-8900-E8535F6E0DF1.jpeg

EE37B46A-E5C6-49BB-8C28-2F1BACB1B9A4.jpeg

71950E6F-A913-4968-BFB5-BE06EE3ECCA0.jpeg

Yeah I had that sb done as well.  In addition to adherence to proper flap speeds, make sure passengers are well briefed many times not to step on the flaps as they climb up!  Or just put them full down during preflight so they are hard to step on.  Make sure you have desired flap setting before takeoff.

Installing the doubler is relatively extensive surgery.  It would be best if your A&P had done one before but not required.  They have to pull up the baggage floor to get in there.  Good luck!

Edited by Ragsf15e

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

LThere is a name for that spar that has the flaps attached to it....

What, the sub spar? At some point un the 60s the flap attachment was changed. I don't know if my 1970 C has a flap sub spar or not . . . . But Clarence probably knows.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hank said:

What, the sub spar? At some point un the 60s the flap attachment was changed. I don't know if my 1970 C has a flap sub spar or not . . . . But Clarence probably knows.

It's actually a stub spar and it is a component of all Mooney metal wings. The main spar, located forward of the wheel wells, runs the full span of the wing and carries most of the load. There is also a lighter spar at the aft edge of the wing that does not run the full span (hence the term "stub"). This is the attachment point for the flaps and the original design wasn't beefy enough to prevent flap loads from causing cracks. 

Skip

• Thanks 1

The repair is straight forward for any maintainer with basic sheet metal skills and some basic tools.  The baggage compartment floor doesn’t need to be removed completely.  Remove enough rivets roll the skin forward to access the top skin for riveting the doubler.

Clarence 

9 hours ago, Hank said:

The service bulletin is for all Mooneys only into 1968.  The flap attachment must have been changed during that time. 

14 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

The service bulletin is for all Mooneys only into 1968.  The flap attachment must have been changed during that time. 

For C models with electric flaps, the actuator is mounted on a bulkhead and attaches differently.  I have never seen anyone with electric flaps on a short body have this issue. 

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

For C models with electric flaps, the actuator is mounted on a bulkhead and attaches differently.  I have never seen anyone with electric flaps on a short body have this issue. 

One more reason to like electric flaps! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The repair is straight forward for any maintainer with basic sheet metal skills and some basic tools.  The baggage compartment floor doesn’t need to be removed completely.  Remove enough rivets roll the skin forward to access the top skin for riveting the doubler.

Clarence 

Clarence if you ever get bored you should write a book, "maintaining your mooney".  I would buy the first copy.  I have been working on mooneys for a long time and you still bring up new stuff I have not seen before.

Mark

• Like 6

9 hours ago, markgrue said:

Clarence if you ever get bored you should write a book, "maintaining your mooney".  I would buy the first copy.  I have been working on mooneys for a long time and you still bring up new stuff I have not seen before.

Mark

It’s time for such.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Mitch did a great job producing(?) the Boots / Mooney video...

Could be time to start planning the next project... :)

1,000 details every Mooney owner wants to know...  *

at some time during their ownership...

Best regards,

-a-

Our fleet certainly deserves this.  This would be a great asset to aircraft mechanics.

You’re very kind Anthony. I must give credit where credit is due. Boots concept, filming and production was a labor of love from myself and Jolie Lucas.

• Like 1

I recently did one , I removed the bottom skin below the actuator , for access , you have to remove the trim and rudder , elevator control rods , for access to buck the rivets , Took me about 12 hours work , Fairly straight forward.... Kit was about 200 dollars from Mooney...

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:00 AM, Alan Fox said:

I recently did one , I removed the bottom skin below the actuator , for access , you have to remove the trim and rudder , elevator control rods , for access to buck the rivets , Took me about 12 hours work , Fairly straight forward.... Kit was about 200 dollars from Mooney...

I just called my closest MSC (air-mods) to have this SB (M20-217) done on my plane as well.  They are looking into the availability of the doubler kit from Mooney.  I hope its in stock.  I'm hoping that the one pc belly as well as having the interior out will help the repair go a bit faster for them.  We'll see...

I'll be relieved to have one more item off my squawk list.