Other Brands: Van's RV-8

Seth

I was in the front seat of one. As one would expect, it jumped off the ground quickly and climbed like it longed for the sun. Felt quick and stable on the controls. Was not as jumpy in the thermals as the trainers were that I was flying at the time. Did not do any aerobatics but the plane wanted to. :) Fit and finish? Well, it was not built to be a cross country machine but I was not uncomfortable. Sure could see everything out of the canopy. If I could afford a second plane(much less a first one) to have fun in, it would be on my list. 

• Like 1

The RV-4 would be tight.  All the tandem seaters, you need to realize when you turn your head and look over your shoulder, the canopy is a couple inches from your nose.  Better try one on for size first.  The panel is close up too, a little closer than a Mooney with the seat slid forward all the way.  But in an RV the seat doesn't go back.  Not bad, just different from what most people are used to.

My RV7 was light, fast, move the stick just a little for a lot of action.  It felt like a simple airplane, hop in and go without feeling guilty for the expense. Putting around, going for a burger, or going on a long trip, it handled all easily.  After about 40 trips from NC to NM in my IO-550 powered Bonanza, the first trip in the RV beat all my previous times.  I have nothing but good things to say about building, owning and flying one.

edit:  Forgot to mention, rolls, loops, etc. if you are so inclined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The RV8 is a fairly comfortable fit for a normal sized pilot and in my opinion, far too tight for normal sized men as passengers, as the passengers feet fit in a little area on either side of the pilots seat. Once you are in, there is not much room to move around, stretch your knees and no possibility to reposition the seat. As mentioned above, they are configured before flight for the pilots size.  They fly very well, can be quite economical to operate and the performance is excellent, even on lower HP engines. 

In some ways, I like the side by side RV’s better, as there is more wiggle room. 

I get to fly and fly in all manner of interesting aircraft. One that stands out was this modified RV6 (side by side seating) with a 6 cylinder IO540, it’s called a “Super 6”. The plane had, I believe, thicker wing skins and a shorter wing. It was very light, with plenty of power and went fast enough about 250mph, at low altitudes to be deafeningly loud, even with the best headsets. 

I also got to fly my friends F1 Rocket, (tandem seating) which is a similar type RV based 6 cylinder plane (Based on an RV4, but upgraded in some ways to be wider inside like an RV8) I liked the Rocket too. 

I like the 6 cylinder variants, but for most people, they just are not necessary. The 4 cylinder versions can be made to perform exceedingly well, and have considerably more range. 

The Super 6 I flew:

sport-class-20.jpg

The RV based F1 Rocket I flew:

Bob-Gross-Rocket-1.jpg?w=1960&ssl=1

Edited by cujet
  • Like 2

I've been in a rv6 and an rv7A. Both were very stable. The 7a once trimmed out the owner told me dont touch anything hands off stick, feet off rudders hands up in a French salute (whuch he also did) then he slapped the stick. The plane banked about 25° and held the bank, altitude, and airspeed. Slapped it again, back to level then to the other side and back to level. Did some wing overs in the 6. Super stable and great flying planes. Rode along for some formation flight with this group. There's a Harmon rocket (rv4) at the end of my hangar row that timing has just never worked out. Yet.... 

I bought an extremely well built RV-8 from its builder back in 2013. By far the funnest airplane I've ever owned. Climbs like a bat out of hell and handles like a dream. It feels like you're flying with your own wings. The gent who built mine spared no expense; the paint job and the fit and finish are definitely up to certificated standards.

I rarely fly it on long trips, but I've done a few. Denver to the Bay Area took about 6 hours and two fuel stops. Sonoma County to Orange County took a bit less than two hours nonstop. For both flights I was sipping fuel at about 9gph.

And you can't beat the cool factor of taxiing in with the canopy open and your elbow hanging over the side! :)

• Like 4