G275 vertical guidance gripe

flysamo

For IFR, ALL of the sources are external.  The differences are which source OR sources you are looking at.

So, in your case everything comes from your 750.  But some people may have a GPS source AND a separate ILS source.  The differences in the display confirm that what guidance the 275 is showing you is really what you want to be seeing. 

In theory I could have the ILS dialed in on my 650 and a GPS approach on my 355.  I should be seeing the Green ILS indicator, but if I mess up and didn't confirm that when I THOUGHT I changed radios I really didn't, I may be seeing a Magenta indicator.  That should be a clue to me that I'm not looking at the ILS info.  Basically a double check. 

Same with the < you may thing you're on a RNAV approach, but again, you may have something dialed in wrong or be on the wrong GPS and you're only getting reference.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally was able to work with the glideslope on the ADI version of the -275. My assessment is that it's going to take some getting used to coming from a 525A HSI, which has two nice and big florescent yellow bars on the side, to a small scale depiction that blends in with everything else on the display.

• Like 1

I had a Bonanza with the KCS 55 and same with the Mooney.  RV had a Dynon and the GS indicator on the HSI was tiny.  Next month getting the 275s installed and expect the same adjustment.  I never did really get used to the little GS indication.  Some things are easy to adapt, others not so much.

It’s funny.  I came back to flying a year ago after about 15 years away (family... kids... no money for such frivolities).  When I left, I had 20/25 vision and 6 big gauges, two VOR Nav’s,  a DME and an ADF that formed a well equipped IFR airplane.  My first time flying instrument in a plane with 2 x G5’s (I now have progressive old man glasses) was my IPC.  I was cussing the 23 year old engineer that shoved my 6 big beautiful gauges into one 5” display.  I’m sure he’s never flown and approach to mins in moderate turbulence.  I’ve seen pictures of the 275 and they seem even smaller.

Spend the extra money on the G3x with the G5 back-up.  As you get older, you’ll be glad you did and your eyes will thank you.  Then get the GFC-500 Autopilot cause it’s friggin awesome.  IAS for a climb, VS for a decent, altitude capture.  I’m setting new records for how quickly I can engage the autopilot after take-off.  Nothing like shooting an approach to minimums just monitoring that teeny magenta or green diamond designed by that 23 year old with good vision.

On 4/4/2021 at 3:40 PM, M20Curious said:

It’s funny.  I came back to flying a year ago after about 15 years away (family... kids... no money for such frivolities).  When I left, I had 20/25 vision and 6 big gauges, two VOR Nav’s,  a DME and an ADF that formed a well equipped IFR airplane.  My first time flying instrument in a plane with 2 x G5’s (I now have progressive old man glasses) was my IPC.  I was cussing the 23 year old engineer that shoved my 6 big beautiful gauges into one 5” display.  I’m sure he’s never flown and approach to mins in moderate turbulence.  I’ve seen pictures of the 275 and they seem even smaller.

S

I did keep my pitot static instruments with the GI-275 although you don't have to. Having the big hand on the airspeed indicator is nice in the pattern for quick scan when VFR. Its also why cars went back to steam gauges for the speedo after a brief fascination with digital speedos in the late 80's.

-Robert

3 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I did keep my pitot static instruments with the GI-275 although you don't have to. Having the big hand on the airspeed indicator is nice in the pattern for quick scan when VFR. Its also why cars went back to steam gauges for the speedo after a brief fascination with digital speedos in the late 80's.

-Robert

I have 3 GI275's and I am glad I kept my old ASI, VSI and Altimeter. The ASI and Altimeter are hard to read on the 275 and the VSI is almost impossible for me to read on the 275.

Tom

On 1/15/2021 at 8:57 PM, jetdriven said:

I haven't gotten rid of the old sandel SN3308 yet, but I love the ILS presentation, check this.  A G5 HSI or a 275 just doesn't seem to have the same mouth feel as this thing.

IMG_0450.jpeg

Don’t eat it!

On 1/15/2021 at 8:57 PM, jetdriven said:

I haven't gotten rid of the old sandel SN3308 yet, but I love the ILS presentation, check this.  A G5 HSI or a 275 just doesn't seem to have the same mouth feel as this thing.

IMG_0450.jpeg

Don’t eat it!

• Haha 1