PRICE LOWERED - 1967 M20F For Sale Aspen/Garmin asking $83,900 - now $77,900

mschmuff

Little short sighted no?  If your plane disappears, those logs are not worthless.  There was no double negative.  Only that a serious buyer will do whatever is necessary.  Not about inferior, its about protecting your asset.  But sorry you know more......

1 hour ago, ZuluZulu said:

Heartbroken to learn I was not a serious buyer when I bought my plane, since I foolishly spent hours reviewing the inferior digital logs.

Also there's no inherent value to the logs themselves, it doesn't matter how many copies there are.  It only matters whether the original logs come with the sale of the airplane.

1 hour ago, KB4 said:

But sorry you know more......

Yes, we do. Without sending digital logs you might sell to the local guy stopping by your airport. But you won't get the value out of the plane you would from a nationwide pool of buyers. Do you have any examples of a plane stolen by someone who did so because they had digital copies of the logs? That's not a thing.  Even so, an airplane up for sale with nothing but digital logs, no originals available, would raise all kinds of suspicion. And even if it did happen, that's what insurance is for.

For every one good airplane for sale, there are 10 that are being misrepresented. It's a fools errand to go chasing across the country after an airplane for which you haven't already inspected the logs. In this day, it's just good business to inspect digital copies of log books before getting too involved in the purchase of any airplane.

Welcome to the 21st century.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, KB4 said:

Little short sighted no?  If your plane disappears, those logs are not worthless.  There was no double negative.  Only that a serious buyer will do whatever is necessary.  Not about inferior, its about protecting your asset.  But sorry you know more......

I’m reluctant to reply because I frankly do not understand whatever point you’re trying to make here. Do you also believe people shouldn’t digitize their family photo albums? When I was on the market I dealt with two of the most respected, successful brokers in general aviation (Jimmy Garrison and Neal Schwartz). Would it shock you to know they both sent me digital logs? Hell, Neal posts links to his clients’ planes’ logbooks on every BeechTalk listing so you can review them 24/7 without even asking if you want. It is a tool to attract serious buyers by making it easier for them to perform due diligence, share them with trusted advisors, and identify quality candidates worth their time. Why would two premier brokers like Jimmy and Neal who feed their families by selling airplanes go to the trouble if it didn’t work?

Anyway I don’t mean to derail the thread. This is a nice looking plane!

• Like 2

• mschmuff changed the title to PRICE LOWERED - 1967 M20F For Sale Aspen/Garmin asking $83,900 - now $77,900
On 3/16/2021 at 8:28 PM, ZuluZulu said:

Why would two premier brokers like Jimmy and Neal who feed their families by selling airplanes go to the trouble if it didn’t work?

While I agree with your sentiment that Jimmy & Neal are premier broker and I have used them both (buying from Jimmy, selling with Neal), Neal's brokering is a side job for him, although he spends a tremendous amount of time doing just that. He's a United Airlines 737 Captain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

While I agree with your sentiment that Jimmy & Neal are premier broker and I have used them both (buying from Jimmy, selling with Neal), Neal's brokering is a side job for him, although he spends a tremendous amount of time doing just that. He's a United Airlines 737 Captain.

Sure seemed like a full-timer to me.  That's impressive.

I will tell you that if you scan your logs in to PDFs and with the right version of Adobe Acrobat, you can make them searchable. ;) Obviously the hand written stuff from 1972 is not going to be very OCR friendly but all the printed labels put in there will be and it is fantastic to type in an AD, SB or keyword (Gear, battery, starter, etc.) and have it found almost instantly. It is well worth the effort to scan them. 

In fact if anyone here in the community doesn't have the full version of Acrobat and would like me to OCR some documents, send me a PM. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/16/2021 at 9:19 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Yes, we do. Without sending digital logs you might sell to the local guy stopping by your airport. But you won't get the value out of the plane you would from a nationwide pool of buyers. Do you have any examples of a plane stolen by someone who did so because they had digital copies of the logs? That's not a thing.  Even so, an airplane up for sale with nothing but digital logs, no originals available, would raise all kinds of suspicion. And even if it did happen, that's what insurance is for.

For every one good airplane for sale, there are 10 that are being misrepresented. It's a fools errand to go chasing across the country after an airplane for which you haven't already inspected the logs. In this day, it's just good business to inspect digital copies of log books before getting too involved in the purchase of any airplane.

Welcome to the 21st century.

I agree but last year was a feeding frenzy. I had 2 airplanes go under contract before i could finish looking at any records. When the 252 came up for sale i jumped seated out to the owners place the day after it posted and started the inspection and logbook reviews 35 years is a lot of book reviewing. It took 3 days and in that time 6 other buyers were waiting in line hoping my finances would fall through or i would back out of the contract. In this market you got to move fast or someone else will. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, steingar said:

I hope I never have to digitize 60 years worth of logs just to sell the %$%$%!! airplane.

Done properly...

It will only take your heirs a couple of hours....

You may want to advise them of their responsibility...

only 60 years?   More like 100... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Decades in the making...I'm finally an aircraft owner after flying for 30 years.  Proud to enter the Mooney family with my new-to-me 1967 M20F Exec 21.  I look forward to learning from the old-timers on here and hopefully can add some value as well.  Many thanks to Mike Schmuff for a seamless aircraft transfer and checkout. A very good dude!

-Brad "Spud" Davis

IMG_4145.jpg

• Like 7