Reiff engine sump heater

Fred Medlock

Usually it is under the oil door, but if you can't find it, trace the cable coming off the sump heater.  Not sure why anyone would do this, but the system is modular and it is technically possible for someone to disconnect the upper part and leave the heater pads.

Welcome aboard Fred!

I am planning on getting a Reiff system installed soon. Some people have it installed so its accessible through the air inlets in the front (behind the prop). But most have it available by the oil filler cap. The benefit, some say, is that its easier to have it connected when parked outside while still having your intake covers on and the system in a "closed" state to keep the heat in. See the photo at the bottom of this page: http://www.reiffpreheat.com/product.htm#Turbo System

At my O2 the plug of the Reiff engine heater is accessible via the left hand-side cooling-air inlet of the engine. So you access it from the front of the airplane. See attached image (the little box on the ground is a voltage converter from 230Volts to 115Volts).

Best,

Matthias

B596C832-4D54-4B66-B8EA-459621D2764A.jpeg

Edited by MatthiasArnold

On 1/13/2021 at 11:17 PM, Fred Medlock said:

I just purchased a 1998 M20J that had a Reiff oil sump heater installed. I have looked in the cowl flaps for a plug but can’t find one. Before I remove the cowling does anyone have one of these installed and where is the plug in mounted?

Thanks

Friendly Skies Fred

I just fitted my M20J (1984) with a Reiff sump heater in the frame of "standard change" owner-installation. The dipstick tube seems to be the default place to put zip the plug to and so did I. Perhaps you can trace the cables from the heater elements on the sump using the cable layout provided by Reiff (attached). In case your cables have been removed (likely starting with the "Y"), I'm sure you can either remake them yourself or order them from Reiff. 2112066175_Screenshot2021-01-15at21_51_28.thumb.png.7e3be3fb0e5852a73bb81172b1c5e3d8.png

Edited by MooneyRookie
  • Like 1