Help me plan for IFR Upgrades

Nukemzzz

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Are you familiar with the pre-flown avionics shelf at Alan’s house?

Things like this come in every now and then...

If you become an avid avionics collector... you can find some awesome devices... at a fair price...

Best regards,

-a-

What is the "Pre-flown avionics shelf at Alan's house"?  Website or Facebook?  Haven't seen this site....

16 hours ago, Sheriff23 said:

What is the "Pre-flown avionics shelf at Alan's house"?  Website or Facebook?  Haven't seen this site....

@Alan Fox is an MSer... and has an emporium of pre-flown avionics...

If looking for something in particular... it is easier to ask Alan what’s on the shelf... than to actually visit the shelf...

Every now and then he has pics of a wide range of current technology...

Some he lists around here...

Often with pics of them running...

note... I bought a really nice transponder from Alan...

Best regards,

-a-

A lot of my thoughts are triggered by pressing "play" on youtube while drinking my breakfast coffee...today was no different.  I was watching a video about Aspen E5 and it got me thinking... nobody on this thread recommended Aspen.  I see G5, I see 275's.   Is there something I should know about Aspen in case I see a good deal on a used PFD come along?

48 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

A lot of my thoughts are triggered by pressing "play" on youtube while drinking my breakfast coffee...today was no different.  I was watching a video about Aspen E5 and it got me thinking... nobody on this thread recommended Aspen.  I see G5, I see 275's.   Is there something I should know about Aspen in case I see a good deal on a used PFD come along?

Had a grand total of 5 Aspens fail on me in flight, 1x E5, 2x First Gen Evo 1000, 1x Evo Max and 1x EVO Backup instrument paired with a G1000. I would not recommend.

• Like 1

You can take different avenues. A marginal update, ie. Provide you with a WAAS and GPS on route and approach approved 430. You could then get some of the glass panel benefits by installing a Flightstream 210 and through Garmin Pilot (I use garmin pilot) or Foreflight get charts, moving maps etc. with you IPAD (or Garmin 760 or 796) linked to the GPS 430. I believe you could also transfer flightplans, etc. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/153681

I think that would be the cheapest option that could provide you with some EFIS capabilities.

From there on, the sky (you wallet) is the limit. I went overboard... 

N9341v panel.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nukemzzz said:

I've been flying with Aspen/Avidyne and a Garmin G5 for the last 5 years or so. I've been very happy with it.

Lots of Aspens around here...

Many went through the upgrade process for faster processor and HD screens...

The older, slower, LD screens are noticeable....

There was one hiccup with screens shutting down... a year or so ago...

Plenty of complaints about turn around time for the upgrades that were all trying to get done at once...

Haven’t heard anything lately...

small screens that fit in standard panels a great for some...

When doing a complete modern panel redo... wide screens are in...

A single HD Aspen with all the data options is pretty magical for situational awareness...

A second one is great for back-up and charts/SV

If you don’t like Big G... Aspen and Dynon make great options...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

On 1/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, Nukemzzz said:

That was my original plan actually.  I ended up with what I have for a couple of reasons...  I couldn't get the DG to fit one slot to the left...I had a really tough time getting the instruments all to fit and while finally bolting it all up, after a couple of months of hard labor getting it that far....darn thing wouldn't fit. The yoke bushing mount is in the way (There is a way to re-orient it, but was out of motivation and guts to make any more modifications).  But I found that if I swapped it with the VSI...it worked.  And then the HSI...I didn't want to try and extend all the wires back there and it wouldn't reach to the middle of the panel to replace the DG, and I couldn't even move it up (too long, hits the bars, which is why its at the bottom turns out).  I didn't have the Accutrak working yet, so didn't know if the HSI was driving it or the VOR OBS, so I opted to keep both for now.  My thinking was I'd eventually put something like a G5 HSI in... and it probably would fit in the bottom middle position.  Then I make that lower right hole a drink holder?  lol

So a question about the standard T formation....

The more I think about this, the more I wonder if this T formation is out dated.  The other day i tried flying with my ipad on the yoke and I couldn't see my lower DG because the Ipad obscured it.  When investigate the G5s, Uavionix new instrument (A20?), and these Garmin 275's it seems all of the primary flight and nav info is now on two screens it it would be best for them to be as close to the horizon as possible (top row).  I'm wondering if i should put the HSI on the top row, in place of the the altitude and move it to the bottom row?  To see "how" I'm flying is center top. To see "where" I'm flying it's just to to the right, both are as close to being able to look straight out the windscreen as possible and my ipad isn't in the way of anything any longer.  I'm not sure the benefit of stacking things if all of your primary flight instruments fit in two gages now a days.  The bottom row just becomes backup, more USB ports, or cupholders.  lol

You guys fly this stuff already, would it be confusing to have them both on the top row side by side?  As far as I can tell.. I could ditch all the other steam gages if I didn't want to keep them as backup.  Would take some practice to fly without a needle based ASI...easy enough to keep that one in it's current location. 

Also, I'm not really worried about keeping VOR honestly, seems the only reason to keep it is to show my son how we used to find our way. lol

I wouldn't say the T or inverted V is out of date if you're flying steam gauges.  But you're right, with the newer electronic displays, there is no real "standard" to follow.

I have an Aspen and GI275 as the backup AI.  275 is located in the upper right next to the Aspen.  My primary DG is the lower part of the Aspen, so it obviously is still in the lower part of the panel, but I've positioned the iPad so that in flight it does not block anything.

Also, I had heard lots of stories about people having trouble getting used to the Turn Coord. presentation in all of the newer displays, so I kept my TC to the upper left.  Eventually I'll get around to replacing it with a 2nd GI275 MFD (or with whatever is out there at the time that makes sense).

You can learn to fly on instruments in any configuration. But a standard 6 pack configuration will certainly increase the value of your airplane. Other instrument pilots will be comfortable with it and if you go to a different plane later down the road, or your son learns to fly and goes onto something else, the 6 pack arrangement will make a lot more sense. So move the iPad.

• Like 2

+1 it will only make a difference when you fly different planes...

Or if a different plane flyer borrows your plane...

When scanning your instrument panel to keep the sunny side up in IMC... this is a cognitively tiring job that takes lots of time to get used to...

If you have an AP keeping the sunny side up... you can slow the repetition down quite a lot...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

You are good to go with what you have...

HSIs are the work horse of IFR flight...

A single display that incorporates different resources multiple VOR, ILS, and GPS inputs...

Something to consider if upgrading the panel... G5, GI275, or something pre-flown...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I'm dreaming of the @donkaye  Cadillac: G3x, GTN 750Xi, GTN650Xi, GMA 35 GI275(Backup AI), GFC 500, GTX 345 

Starting with the AP, there's not a great selection for our plane.   It's extremely unlikely that a GFC 500 has been pulled for an upgrade yet.  My GNS480 is no longer supported by Big G and will be replaced if it dies.   Is installation of older, pre-flown equipment less expensive than installation of new gear?   I'd expect it to be the same so it makes sense to get the extra situational awareness and 'ease of use' features that come with the new gear.  The new technology and safety features were the reasons I finally updated my car so I'd want the same for my Mooney.

Finally, you'd have to have Johnny's Cash to get that Cadillac "One Piece at a Time" because it's more 'AMU efficient' to do the entire panel at the same time (from what I read here on MS).   ...so I'll hold out for the lottery and only fly VFR unless someone can propose specifics of a reasonable alternative for building a modern, safe platform on a tight budget.

Enjoy!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update....

I'm leaning towards installing the GNX-355 with the flight stream card to connect to my ipad along with a G5 HSI for now and then later an AI.  I don't really need the moving map/gps features of the G 275.  Seems like overkill for me.  Also, it won't fit in the lower center position in my panel because of the yoke mount.  I really don't want to re-do my panel completely again.  As far as I can tell... the only major thing I loose with the G5 is the ability to ditch ASI, VSI, ALT gages as the G5 isn't primary for these.  

I'll probably install the magnetometer for the HSI as it makes it so I no longer have to worry about the cabin magnetization issue that I've been fighting.  

One big question I have.... Can I have the GNX-355 output to both the KI-209 and G5 HSI at the same time?  I think, but I'm not sure, that I need that 209 to output to my Brittain AP because I can't connect the 355 directly to it.  Then I can have at switch to output the KX-155 to the 209 for VOR or ILS when not on GPS.  However, I think if I connect both devices to the 209 then I need an external annunciator right?  Is it not enough to have a label on the source selector switch?  lol

Alright... please shoot holes in my idea/plans.  lol

image.thumb.png.0e78773c61542f8e2832aad048285fe3.png

2 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

One big question I have.... Can I have the GNX-355 output to both the KI-209 and G5 HSI at the same time?  I think, but I'm not sure, that I need that 209 to output to my Brittain AP because I can't connect the 355 directly to it.  Then I can have at switch to output the KX-155 to the 209 for VOR or ILS when not on GPS.  However, I think if I connect both devices to the 209 then I need an external annunciator right?  Is it not enough to have a label on the source selector switch?

I've been trying to figure out if there is a reasonable way to connect a Garmin navigator to two CDIs at the same time, to solve the same problem as you: maintaining an existing interface to a Brittain autopilot.  The place I get stuck is the OBS knobs of the CDIs.  When navigating via VOR, or when navigating via GPS in OBS mode, the OBS knob matters, and the two CDIs can have different OBS settings.  Even if there is some way to make this work with selector switches, it has the potential to be tremendously confusing, and my opinion is it's probably not a good idea.