Starting Search for a Bravo

PilotGrant

Grant,

You will have read/heard that you need to be precise when landing a Mooney or you may have "interesting/expensive" experiences.

@donkaye has been modest and not pitched his qualifications as one of the most respected Mooney instructors (with @Mike_Elliott and a few others) in the country.

If you go ahead and decide to buy a Bravo I recommend that the next thing you do is buy Don's "precision landings" video/DVD. Best $25 (may be more now) training aid I ever bought. 

Robert

Edited by Robert C.
  • Like 2

Thanks, I will definitely pick up his video. Saw it mentioned a few times in previous threads and have it down in my notes.

@donkaye, just going off what foreflight and bad napkin math told me. KBUR -> KLOM is 2150nm, 230 knot cruise at FL250 LOP + 50 knot tailwind is 280knot GS at ~21gph. 2150nm / 280knots = 7hrs 40mins. Need extra time for the climb/SID and IA and STAR, though.

Real world is always different with ATC delays, different winds, fuel stop, etc, I just think the napkin math is cool.

Foreflight tells a similar (theoretical) story, but that's based off its baked in performance profiles, and we know book numbers are never right.

IMG_0047.thumb.png.781c9095cf1ab11bf1ae38d66d659db0.png

Some discussion of an Acclaim making a fast crossing...

Another Mooniac that crossed the country non-stop in his M20E is Jonathan Paul his trek was a great learning tool regarding seasonal weather patterns accross the country...

My O is pretty good about flying 900nm in five or six hours... or so.

This is where a good autopilot becomes extra important...  :)

Covering that much distance in a new to you plane is best done with a lot of experience... (disclaimer)

I like the 48kt tail wind... I don’t think I would ever refresh that page... :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, Parker_Woodruff said:

Sure thing. Yes, I am the CEO, chief pilot, chief organizer, IT pro, cleaning service, and most importantly: the lead robocall answerer at Airspeed Insurance. :D

I have an important message about your factory car warranty expiring . . .

• Haha 3

Air conditioning: Depending on where you live there's a portable solution for this though it's not as easy as factory AC, it is removable which allows you to in cooler months get your useful load back.

B Kool/Arctic air/ice box/any of the units that are made as portable cooling devices work. I have a B Kool (Mooney Summit Sponsor) in my Mooney and it makes such a difference on hot days. The cabin is car interior cool when taxiing and waiting in line to take off. When it's time to land, pop it back on for the final few minutes if it's really hot out. No need if it's not. It helps immensely with heat soaked cabins. For my commercial checkride, the examiner said it was the best part about the flight - I think I passed due to not sweating on the ramp prior to the flight.

You pour ice and a little water in the cooler area. It pumps the water through a heat exchange using the ice cold water to blow cool air. Depending on outside temps and the amount of ice, you can get cool air for over an hour. Enough for the taxi out, and initial climb, and then turn it off. On decent you'll still have some air, though not as ice cold, for landing/the taxi back in. 

The system also allows you to pump the water overboard so that you don't have to worry about spilling 20lbs of water in your airplane afterward. Yes, it's a fuss to have to bring ice or pack ice to the airport, but it's a great way to have a really nice experience. For those without factory AC - great addition and costs less than a tank of gas.

-Seth

The most common incident with a “new” pilot to a long body Mooney is coming in too fast, porpoising and “making” it land. That results in a prop strike, prop replacement, engine tear down. Unfortunately you’ll see that over and over again with pilots coming over from other makes, even mid or short body Mooneys or low time pilots.  If you take the cost of that incident and spread it over a few transitioning pilots, that premium seems more than reasonable for the circumstances. 

I used AOPA insurance for over 20 years and felt like they used to always give me all of the quotes and look out for my interests. About 10 years ago they started only giving me the highest quotes and I found better coverage for less money elsewhere.

• Like 1