New Mooney Pilot

therealjaybird

Howdy! 

My names Jay. My father and I are looking at putting an offer on a Bravo. We are looking for someone in the Houston, Tx area that is looking for an excuse to go fly, and wouldn't mind giving us a demo. We will be happy to compensate for the time. If all goes well, you guys might just have a new Mooney member! 

Thanks,

Jay

7 minutes ago, therealjaybird said:

Howdy! 

My names Jay. My father and I are looking at putting an offer on a Bravo. We are looking for someone in the Houston, Tx area that is looking for an excuse to go fly, and wouldn't mind giving us a demo. We will be happy to compensate for the time. If all goes well, you guys might just have a new Mooney member! 

Thanks,

Jay

Welcome Jay!

Stay with us regardless of how the Bravo evolves .  

There’s a plethora of Bravo (and other Mooney models) information here.  Lots of incredibly knowledgeable helpful folks too!

22 minutes ago, Hank said:

I gotta ask--why is "the real jay bird" looking to buy an M20-M instead of a real M20-J??????

@therealjaybird

Good price with a g1000. Don’t snipe the one we are looking at....

18 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Jay and Jay’s dad!

It appears that long bodies are in short supply lately...

It helps to be ready to move...

Good luck with the hunt.

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah I gathered that pretty quick. 

Just now, therealjaybird said:

No way! I'm happy with my C. Just thought it was funny you put "J" in your name but you're shopping for an "M". Guess my attempt at humor missed . . . .  :unsure:  

Also went to Cody KCOD with my wife and a million bags, westbound at 8500 and came home at 9500 with no problems. Just flew the huge, wide valley between BIL and KCOD, no issues, no worries.

But we treated the travel both ways as fun trips, and I got three vacations in one:  3 days westbound, with overnight at KRAP to see Rushmore; 5 days driving around the Park (couldn't fly in from the east due to firefighting TFRs, drove past several helicopter landing spots); then 3 days back home, including an unscheduled weather stop with a Russell Stover outlet in front of the hotel.

Welcome aboard, happy hunting and stay in touch! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, therealjaybird said:

Yeah I gathered that pretty quick. 

Be careful with the G1000. There are some G1000 models that can not be updated easily. Search this site for many threads on the topic. 

Edited by Mcstealth

14 hours ago, Hank said:

No way! I'm happy with my C. Just thought it was funny you put "J" in your name but you're shopping for an "M". Guess my attempt at humor missed . . . .  :unsure:  

Also went to Cody KCOD with my wife and a million bags, westbound at 8500 and came home at 9500 with no problems. Just flew the huge, wide valley between BIL and KCOD, no issues, no worries.

But we treated the travel both ways as fun trips, and I got three vacations in one:  3 days westbound, with overnight at KRAP to see Rushmore; 5 days driving around the Park (couldn't fly in from the east due to firefighting TFRs, drove past several helicopter landing spots); then 3 days back home, including an unscheduled weather stop with a Russell Stover outlet in front of the hotel.

Welcome aboard, happy hunting and stay in touch! 

i got the humor! I was pre occupied with something else at that moment

5 hours ago, irishpilot said:

I'm in San Antonio, TX (KSSF) and have a 2000 M20M. It is a great plane and I'm always looking for an excuse to fly!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

awesome! if I cant find someone local, ill send you a DM

26 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Be careful with the G1000. There are some G1000 models that can not be updated easily. Search this site for many threads on the topic. 

i assume you mean upgrading to a g1000 nxi? it would be nice but isnt a deal breaker for me. who knows, i may end up as the family bus driver; flying the caravan before long (family of 8 currently). :blink:

Edited by therealjaybird

21 minutes ago, therealjaybird said:

i got the humor! I was pre occupied with something else at that moment

awesome! if I cant find someone local, ill send you a DM

i assume you mean upgrading to a g1000 nxi? it would be nice but isnt a deal breaker for me. who knows, i may end up as the family bus driver; flying the caravan before long (family of 8 currently). :blink:

Negative. Some G1000 equipped Mooneys are highly problematical making them current. I am not the expert. @carusoam @gsxrpilot

@LANCECASPER  Let's get folks with better memories than I into the conversation. 

Edited by Mcstealth

13 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Negative. Some G1000 equipped Mooneys are highly problematical making them current. I am not the expert. @carusoam @gsxrpilot

@LANCECASPER  Let's get folks with better memories than I into the conversation. 

Some G1000 were not, and now cannot be, upgraded to WAAS. No idea about upgrading to Nxi.

• Like 2

Just now, Mcstealth said:

Have no clue if the bird in question is part of the problem G1000's. How do we know?

No, I wasn't saying it did, I was just a sayin' Don had [a least a couple of months ago when I was helping Gary Anderson sell his Ovation] 3 remaining upgrade kits for the G1000 for WAAS capability.  :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, therealjaybird said:

I hadnt considered that. good information to know before going into the pre-buy. given thats its a 2005 model and they dont have WAAS spelled out on the listing. id guess not. 

I don’t recall the kit price.  Contact Don Maxwell for that information.

Just now, Mcstealth said:

Search this site. It is all here. 

yea thats what im doing. currently reading up on stuff from 2013 dicussing this. given my position, I think its worth its weight to get a plane with waas already installed. i highly doubt the seller would come down on their price on a non-waas plane. 

28 minutes ago, therealjaybird said:

yea thats what im doing. currently reading up on stuff from 2013 dicussing this. given my position, I think its worth its weight to get a plane with waas already installed. i highly doubt the seller would come down on their price on a non-waas plane. 

Which AP does this plane have?

Read this thread. 

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/200006243/2005-mooney-m20m-gx-bravo-piston-single-aircraft

so thats the listing for the bravo we were looking at. there was another bravo that was listed just before Christmas but sold the day after we found the listing (seller was asking $230k). 

1 hour ago, therealjaybird said:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/200006243/2005-mooney-m20m-gx-bravo-piston-single-aircraft

so thats the listing for the bravo we were looking at. there was another bravo that was listed just before Christmas but sold the day after we found the listing (seller was asking $230k). 

So that year is in the WAAS problem area with Garmin and Mooney. Beautiful bird though. I called and left a message with @Dmax and asked to call me back. See if they can clear up the discrepancy.