Dynon AP, Need as much help as possible!!!!

Good Day Mooneyspacers!  So I have been working hand in hand with Dynon Sales and we are trying to develop a plethora of support to push the AP for the Mooney Airframes and try to get them off of their hands.  What I need, if possible, is for as many MSers to send me an email about as it pertains to the interest and need for the Dynon AP for our Airframes, even if yo already have another manufacturer's installed and will not get one, it's about choices.  Please have it include how important it would be a the positives you, personally, you see with it and what the implications COULD be, for you the individual, of going with another Manufacturer if they do not get this going soon as they seem to be dragging their feet.  

Please do not reference, "Per your post on Mooneyspace" or "As you asked on MS".  Just put in the subject line "Dynon AP Timeline".  I am trying to get this pushed through a bit faster and have been in discussions with one of my sources within Dynon and we are building a united front to try and get this passed faster than they are currently running.

Send emails to:

Gbaker@bakeravionics.com

I will NOT send Spam as I do not believe in that kind of dribble. 

@carusoam spread the word!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm in the market for a newer autopilot to replace my Accutrak but don't want to play Garmin's game of adding all kind of interfaces and avionics jacking up the price above $25K.

What about Dynon? If they are requiring their navigator and/or other interfaces to function, I'm not interested but if they are compatible with Avidyne I'll write you that email right away!

We have at least four Dynon users as of a couple of months ago...

@PilotFun101

@chriscalandro

And two others...  :)

Wish my memory was stronger than that...

Also visit the thread that was about the Dynon Marketing Survey... input by Mr. Ludtke...

Looks like a serious effort for a nice AP...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I can assure you they already know my position. 

I’d be willing to bet they would have a lot more system sales to Mooney pilots if the servos were available. 

the installation of the HDX really isn’t that difficult and not that expensive when you consider the other options. If you have the ability to install it yourself like I did, even better. 

Edited by chriscalandro

On 1/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, Baker Avionics said:

Good Day Mooneyspacers!  So I have been working hand in hand with Dynon Sales and we are trying to develop a plethora of support to push the AP for the Mooney Airframes and try to get them off of their hands.  What I need, if possible, is for as many MSers to send me an email about as it pertains to the interest and need for the Dynon AP for our Airframes, even if yo already have another manufacturer's installed and will not get one, it's about choices.  Please have it include how important it would be a the positives you, personally, you see with it and what the implications COULD be, for you the individual, of going with another Manufacturer if they do not get this going soon as they seem to be dragging their feet.  

Please do not reference, "Per your post on Mooneyspace" or "As you asked on MS".  Just put in the subject line "Dynon AP Timeline".  I am trying to get this pushed through a bit faster and have been in discussions with one of my sources within Dynon and we are building a united front to try and get this passed faster than they are currently running.

Send emails to:

Gbaker@bakeravionics.com

Greg, do you want mention of the D10A replacement petition as well?  That thing has got to go!  It’s like having two ends of the EFIS advancement spectrum sitting in the same panel. That thing came out in 2003 for crying out loud!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Greg, do you want mention of the D10A replacement petition as well?  That thing has got to go!  It’s like having two ends of the EFIS advancement spectrum sitting in the same panel. That thing came out in 2003 for crying out loud!

YES!!!!!!!  I just spoke to my Dynon guy and he wants all of that!  Even to see if it can work with other standby instruments as well. 

• Like 2

Sent you the email, Greg.  I'm glad you're taking this on as Dynon is going to miss out on a lot of business as Mooney owners will be forced to go Garmin for their up-grades if the don't see significant progress coming from Dynon.  HDX is fantastic (anyone can PM me for a discussion) but without an AP it's not a complete system.  There's a lot more button pushing with modern avionics and that's ok if someone else is flying the plane but I find that hand-flying, and button pushing, in IFR conditions, with ATC giving redirect instructions to be something less than a thrill.  We need the AP, Greg.

• Like 3

OK I'm looking at the Dynon stuff in place of TT.

If I go to the pricing calculator and want to duplicate what I have plus the cost of the TT A/P I come out 

(Now one does get all glass and I have steam gages)

at $25,000!  Where am I going wrong or why is this option any better price wise than Garmin?

What am I missing?  Its late and maybe the brain ain't working too well.

So we are back to square one

There is no alternative in the <$10,000 world for just a simple left/right/up/down autopilot for our 50 year old airplanes

TT is the only path    Vast market-languishing approvals.

The technology is there. You can buy an autopilot equipped model airplane COMPLETE for $150 yet you can't get just an autopilot for our airplanes at all for under $25,000

We're not looking for CATIII approvals here Just basic climb and cruise control. Sure there is a loud under current that wants a triple redundant CATIII AP or nothing but most small GA airplane owners would be very happy with a VFR basic cheap unit. The vast majority of GA pilots fly VFR only.

I still say you could take the technology of the model airplane field (even better- drones) and move it over to larger servos (very easily done) and do it under NOSEE with SAE or other approvals. NORSEE allows it. Make it VFR only OR IFR cruise only and it would still work under NORSEE

• Like 2

To me this sounds like a repeat of the 3100 cry for help. If imaginary buyers don’t flood them with emails they’ll kick us to the curb.  I have to agree with @cliffy, what we need is a simple inexpensive system like the TT.  If dynon could accomplish that I’d seriously give them a chance in my panel. 

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

To me this sounds like a repeat of the 3100 cry for help. If imaginary buyers don’t flood them with emails they’ll kick us to the curb.  I have to agree with @cliffy, what we need is a simple inexpensive system like the TT.  If dynon could accomplish that I’d seriously give them a chance in my panel. 

This is very different than the 3100 cry...

If you recall... the 3100 came with send a PO...  a purchase order is a commercial document with terms and conditions...

For me, I had a problem with the ethics of sending a PO, that I didn’t intend to honor...

Sending a letter to an MSer letting him know my interest... that isn’t hard at all...

My AP is aging... I am learning as much as I can about the available options...

We don’t have many options...

Don’t do anything unethical...

Every sales organization understands triangle patterns...   of 100 letters sent... 10 may ultimately turn into a sale...

If we don’t organize a communication drive... Dynon will spend their time where they feel the most interest is...

If C150Space starts writing letters... Dynon will put C150s at the top of their work list...

Dynon and Garmin have been working their way through lists of plane approvals...

Garmin has done an impressive job from the top of the Mooney alphabet towards the bottom...

The 3100 is somewhere...  see if you can even get a call back.... STec doesn’t seem to have the strength required to pay attention to Mooney details...   you can have any color you want as long as it’s black... - H. Ford...

Its not their fault... but, they only have vanilla.

A good sales guy knows how to get what the company wants... from what the potential customers are able to give...  I’m very impressed with Greg’s approach....

Expect to have to hit this nail a few times... again and again... more sales management 102...

PP thoughts only, still reeling from those Stec discussions... MSers wanted them, had the money for them, but couldn’t get them, and still were left hanging...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 3

As I said before-  There is a market out there waiting with money    A market that is not being filled 

Its beyond me why BK/TT isn't "wailing at the walls" of the FAA to fill the market need and produce revenue instead a slow slide into bankruptcy.  

FROM the first page of their website-

“We get feedback from customers in lots of different ways,” said Neumann, Vice President of Operations and Product Support for BendixKing. “But there’s nothing like talking with pilots who are passionate about airplanes and rely on our avionics every time they fly.”

I really think they are tone deaf. Maybe their issue is their Mother Ship      Honeywell

If they would be listening they would be communicating. All we hear is crickets!

Sorry for the pessimism but good businesses don't run this way. They don't leave their market in the dark.

Honeywell is an incredible company...

With two separate avionics divisions, last I checked... common GA (BK) and corporate jets GA... (Primus)  (I just checked again)

They also have turbine engines... that are really selling well during the Covid era... that and their maintenance...

Its amazing how these small glitches can keep recurring in this one small division...

The business plan of slapping a new name on an existing product hasn’t worked for these complex devices...

They have suffered from bad chips, to incomplete software, to terrible delivery promises, to loss of customer trust... to a revolving door of employees...

Who’s our BK guy today?

Our first garmin box went in last year... my all BK panel probably won’t stay that way...

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 12:38 PM, Baker Avionics said:

Send emails to:

Gbaker@bakeravionics.com

Good evening, wanted to check whether our email and support are able to move the dial/gain traction with Dynon.

Thanks,

- Dominik

email sent.  Also sent email to Dynon Sales.

We all understand 2020 was challenging.   As a Mooney Owner who has invested with Dynon system. It would be great to know when Dynon will follow through with the Dynon AP certification.   I would think that the money that I spent on the STC would ensure the follow through with the A/P certification.
Thanks for your efforts.
Large furry mythical creature
Edited by Yetti
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McMooney said:

Someone could maybe go apologize to the Trio guy we ran off, just sayin

he was an installer wasn’t he?

Offering to write the required STC to install the Trio that belonged to somebody else...

Running him off would be a bad idea, either way...

Want to look him up and see what he is doing lately?

Best regards,

-a-