Cost to convert to electric gear

1 hour ago, Schllc said:

Anyone know what this mod costs, or if it’s even really available today?

trying not to get into a debate about why this shouldn’t be done, just want to know what it costs to do if possible. 

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

@Culver LFA

Any ideas on how to go the other direction; any spare parts laying around?

Sounds like you two need to get together and do a swap-a-roo!!!

• Like 3

I would be curious to learn why one might one to got manual to electric or electric to manual if their plane was the opposite of the intended direction?  Not for debate as to which is better, just curious as to reasons that might overshadow the costs, etc.  I assume perhaps someone who has had a manual gear Mooney for a time and the pilot is no getting up in years and/or developed a physical reason that operating the J bar has become difficult?  Now if the plane could have both systems that would be a really cool backup.  :-)

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

@Culver LFA

Any ideas on how to go the other direction; any spare parts laying around?

Yes, absolutely!

Originally produced a J bar M20F in '67, converted to electric gear by Dugosh in '68 for the first owner, I converted mine back to J bar last year.  I do have the entire conversion kit of parts as removed boxed up on a shelf in the hangar. There have been a few inquires on individual gear parts but I hesitate to break it up for situations exactly like this where someone may want to do a conversion to electric.

It is difficult to give you an accurate estimate on the conversion cost as it will depend on many factors.  In my case, I provided my own labor and over restored things as I dove into the project, cleaning, painting and improving everything I touched as I went along.  With all that, it was a solid 4 or 5 day project.  The conversion itself is not overly difficult, really a straight bolt-in/rivet-in project swapping the necessary components.  @Schllc I'll send you a PM with my phone number, feel free to call me if you would like to discuss in further details.  I'd be happy to help any way that I can.

-Joe

10 minutes ago, Tcraft938 said:

I would be curious to learn why one might one to got manual to electric or electric to manual if their plane was the opposite of the intended direction?  Not for debate as to which is better, just curious as to reasons that might overshadow the costs, etc.  I assume perhaps someone who has had a manual gear Mooney for a time and the pilot is no getting up in years and/or developed a physical reason that operating the J bar has become difficult?  Now if the plane could have both systems that would be a really cool backup.  :-)

For me, the decision to convert back over to manual gear was based on:  lighter weight, less complexity, elimination of the reoccurring 100hr/200hr electric gear AD, and a general appreciation for the simplicity of the j-bar design.

• Like 2

I was going to say that it might be cheaper to fly around with the gear down instead of converting but it looks like you found a lead on some parts!  Miracles do happen.

I have a J-Bar system...it's cool and all, but I feel like my arm is too short to lock the gear up.  I need more practice maybe.  Sure would be nice to just flip a switch.  lol  

2 hours ago, Tcraft938 said:

Some of us develop shoulder issues before "getting up in years." My own right shoulder surgery (no, not rotator cuff) was at age 37 . . . . I'm quite happy with my electric gear. Although sitting on the right, moving the J bar doesn't look that difficult, it's just one less worry for me, no wondering how my shoulder will feel as I'm planning a flight. 

Besides, I get to use all that space below the panel and between the seats for storage! Lunch, beverages, paperwork, etc. And now, facemasks . . . .

There's a reason Mooney quite offering manual gear in 1969--every single plane sold in 1968 had the optional electric gear, and all buyers weren't "getting up in years."

About three years ago I injured my shoulder and could no longer use the manual gear.  Don Maxwell told me it would be about a $15,000 conversion.  That wasn’t feasible, especially since I felt like it was downgrading the plane.  In searching for an answer Mr. Presley, who I think goes by ACPartsWarehouse on this forum had a manual gear salvage plane.  I seriously considered going to Tennessee and removing everything myself so I would know how it went together.  The problem with that was I had an injured shoulder and didn’t think I could do the work with the bad shoulder.  I don’t remember how much he was going to charge, but it wasn’t much.  He is a fair man to work with and incredibly Mooney knowledgeable.

Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

About three years ago I injured my shoulder and could no longer use the manual gear.  Don Maxwell told me it would be about a $15,000 conversion.  That wasn’t feasible, especially since I felt like it was downgrading the plane.  In searching for an answer Mr. Presley, who I think goes by ACPartsWarehouse on this forum had a manual gear salvage plane.  I seriously considered going to Tennessee and removing everything myself so I would know how it went together.  The problem with that was I had an injured shoulder and didn’t think I could do the work with the bad shoulder.  I don’t remember how much he was going to charge, but it wasn’t much.  He is a fair man to work with and incredibly Mooney knowledgeable.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Pressley has updated his screen name... from ACParts... to @Jerry Pressley (believe it or not)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1