Texas to Sarasota FL trip

Tx_Aggie

Hello all,

I’m planning a trip to Sarasota with the family in mid-March. This will be my furthest flight into Florida (with myself at the controls that is, been to the state numerous times). A quick glance at ForeFlight shows numerous MOAs down the beach line stretch in the panhandle and what looks like a preferred arrival over water for the last half of the trip. 

As an IFR pilot I usually file every time. I notice the more common atc routes take you over V198/241 from about MOB VOR to about Seminole VOR before turning south on the clamp 7 arrival. Not being a coastal guy, I just happen to notice for instance that the furthest distance on the arrival from the gulf to land (should I have an engine issue) is about 33 nm, Waypoint LINKN to KAJYE.  

From a flight planning standpoint, has anyone else found an alternative route accepted by ATC from the west that is a little more over land than over water? I know I can always go VFR if the weather allows but filing IFR is a real help when on cross countries and I’m unfamiliar with the destination. I appreciate the opinions. 

There are others that are more familiar than me, but I wouldn’t be too concerned with the airspace. Plan CEW, continue east, and be in your game changing frequencies. The controllers are great.  East of the panhandle airspace, I would just stay near the coast line- pick your navaids.  Should be an easy flight (even for an Aggie ;)) albeit a long flight with family. 

I would file, but I tend to file every flight. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smccray said:

Plan CEW, continue east,

Continue East on V198 to SZW, then South on V97 to HEVVN, then Direct to Sarasota, or stay on V97 to Tampa. This route keeps you out of the MOAs (except the Eglin MOAs, no getting around them) which are usually active, and keep you close enough to the coast for safety. This is the route I fly for my trips to Tampa.

41 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’ve done that route countless times. I file V198-V7 IFR, they once asked if I wanted to take an offshore route, I declined and said I needed to stay within 15 miles (gliding distance). They gave me direct route that did just that.

If you go VFR, definitely get flight following.

Same thing here. Coming back from New Orleans a few times the controllers always gave me the option of staying over land or cutting corners.

11 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’ve done that route countless times. I file V198-V7 IFR, they once asked if I wanted to take an offshore route, I declined and said I needed to stay within 15 miles (gliding distance). They gave me direct route that did just that.

If you go VFR, definitely get flight following.

Thanks for that, sounds good and makes sense to me. 

On 1/12/2021 at 9:05 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Same thing here. Coming back from New Orleans a few times the controllers always gave me the option of staying over land or cutting corners.

I appreciate it! Helpful to know it’s been requested regularly. 

Edited by Tx_Aggie
Clarification

Great question Aggie!

Single engine ops over water...

Know your glide distance/ratio.

Don’t go out to sea because it is convenient for somebody else...

If going VFR, flight following can ease all of the restricted airspace...

If going IFR, ATC helps you with the airspace as well...

PP thoughts only, we haven’t had anyone post their flight plans graphically in a while...

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/12/2021 at 8:18 AM, thomas1142 said:

Continue East on V198 to SZW, then South on V97 to HEVVN, then Direct to Sarasota, or stay on V97 to Tampa. This route keeps you out of the MOAs (except the Eglin MOAs, no getting around them) which are usually active, and keep you close enough to the coast for safety. This is the route I fly for my trips to Tampa.

I responded before looking back at ForeFlight. This is my point exactly. Hevvn is the fix before clamp and further down the airway is a little too far from shore in my opinion if the engine ever becomes a concern. This appears to be the route that everyone flies both big and small however.

I’ve found when filing IFR into busy airspace, atc is generally going to give you the arrival they put everyone on. Over land, I’ve never asked for an alternative routing because I never felt uncomfortable but I suppose I could this time around.

I fly a similar route a lot (up high usually) and always get put on an arrival.  As one of the other posters mentioned, plan on CEW since the warning areas are usually active.  You won't have to worry about water because the route they will take you to avoid the warning and military areas will practically put you over all land.  When the warning areas are not active they will pretty much give you any fix that you request to cut the corner.  It just depends how far out you want to go.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Davidv said:

I fly a similar route a lot (up high usually) and always get put on an arrival.  As one of the other posters mentioned, plan on CEW since the warning areas are usually active.  You won't have to worry about water because the route they will take you to avoid the warning and military areas will practically put you over all land.  When the warning areas are not active they will pretty much give you any fix that you request to cut the corner.  It just depends how far out you want to go.

Sounds good thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

If it’s a beautiful VFR day, asking for the beach route makes for a very pretty ride. Otherwise, it’s miles and miles of pine trees. I’ve always had the controllers happy to shepherd me through the military airspace right along the gulf, with views of boats, manta rays, sharks, and white sand. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tx_Aggie said:

I responded before looking back at ForeFlight. This is my point exactly. Hevvn is the fix before clamp and further down the airway is a little too far from shore in my opinion if the engine ever becomes a concern. This appears to be the route that everyone flies both big and small however.

I’ve found when filing IFR into busy airspace, atc is generally going to give you the arrival they put everyone on. Over land, I’ve never asked for an alternative routing because I never felt uncomfortable but I suppose I could this time around.

Then V198 to V7 is what you want. FL ATC guys are pretty good at working with you, just ask them for this route.

56 minutes ago, Amelia said:

If it’s a beautiful VFR day, asking for the beach route makes for a very pretty ride. Otherwise, it’s miles and miles of pine trees. I’ve always had the controllers happy to shepherd me through the military airspace right along the gulf, with views of boats, manta rays, sharks, and white sand. 

I am all too familiar with those pines. Departing Tallahassee a few years ago I settled into my cruise altitude and pushed the seat back a notch when all of a sudden the plane began to shake. While sorting out what it could be and heading back to Tally, I looked down and all I could see were pine trees and no suitable place to come down. As it turns out the problem cleared itself up a few minutes later and the A&P back in Tallahassee believed it to be a clogged injector and blew them all out. The trip home the next day was uneventful.

Oh, yes, and lots of emergency landing options all along the route, OLFs, civilian and military airports, ag strips, and this time of year, miles of deserted beach. And it is a treat for the passengers. Controllers through that airspace are good folk.

2 hours ago, Amelia said:

Oh, yes, and lots of emergency landing options all along the route, OLFs, civilian and military airports, ag strips, and this time of year, miles of deserted beach. And it is a treat for the passengers. Controllers through that airspace are good folk.

Awesome glad to hear, flying over the beach sounds great!

I do that route several times a year and just pick a few NAV AIDS that keep me along the coast and let the controllers tweak it in the air if MOAs light up.

I have a family with me who like to eat at the stop so KHSA wins quite often as the stop. Pilot gets a free meal and it’s a nice place.

KMEI is another popular stop for us with cheap gas and free hot dogs. They will lend you a car if you want better food.

Weather along coast usually determines which of the 2 I actually stop at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in the Panhandle, fly IMC and deal with the MOAs all the time including dozens of flights between here and Tampa, where I used to live.  (Sarasota is Tampa airspace.). I also fly west to Pensacola, Louisiana and Texas.  I serve on a local airport board, and have gotten to know some of the controllers at Tyndall and Cairns.  I routinely deal with Cairns, Jax center, Elgin approach, Tallahassee approach, Tyndall, Tampa.  All very good to work with. 

I have had good experiences from where you are using V198 to MAI, direct CTY, then V7 to NITTS, then direct destination.  That keeps you on an airway during most of the MOA transitions and seems to make Jax Center and Tampa approach happy.   It will put you just south of Tallahassee, should be no issue if you’re at altitude.

Lots of good options. You’re welcome to call my cell and discuss details- including airways and fixes. Ross Statham 770-329-5400.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic offer, Ross!

Great details too...

And a memory...

The good folks at Tyndall have a document that they shared about transiting their airspace... with charts and contacts...  probably available from the web too...

They gave a presentation at one of the Mooney Summits a while back...

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, the Tyndall folks are great. Was working their airspace this morning shooting approaches under the hood with a safety pilot buddy in my 201 for 90 minutes, including Panama City Beach and two other airports.

I got to know the Tyndall folks last year while working out details in coordination on a new RNAV approach  into 1J0.  (That’s an interesting story I should share with you guys some day.  I’m very impressed with the FAA guru that we were assigned. The whole process was very educational.)  I agree that Tyndall and Cairns (Ft Rucker) are great to work with. They seem to bend over backwards helping knucklehead pilots like me transition, shoot approaches, or anything else we seem to ask!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good evening folks,

Circling up on this topic again, will be breaking the trip up into two days outbound to SRQ and really excited for the journey. Thanks to all for the advice on routing. 

Any pireps on FBOs between Retrix and Dolphin? Really appreciate it!

6 hours ago, Tx_Aggie said:

Good evening folks,

Circling up on this topic again, will be breaking the trip up into two days outbound to SRQ and really excited for the journey. Thanks to all for the advice on routing. 

Any pireps on FBOs between Retrix and Dolphin? Really appreciate it!

I've used Dolphin once, if I remember correctly they were pretty reasonable and had good service as well.

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Post your route when you get a chance...

Have a great trip...

Best regards,

-a-

Outbound I’m planning ODO-AEX fuel up at AEX, AEX-DTS with an overnight in Destin. Next morning DTS CORKY V198 SZW V7 NITTS V579 SRQ.

I’m not out to reinvent the wheel, if there’s an airway already out there along the preferred route I’ll use it every time.

Thanks also for the insight, Ross!

• Like 1