Owner Permitted Maintenance

mooneyflyer

According to 14CFR Appendix A to Part 43 (c) covering Preventive Maintenance, the answer would appear to be "no".  The only thing that comes close in this section (but doesn't appear to match your question) would be (c) Item 31...

"Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, and operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter."

To what type of panel avionics were you referring?

Happy to learn more from others with this one tho...

The list of items is not all inclusive it is just a list of examples. The Coleal Interpretation is what you are looking for. I would not hesitate to replace a light bulb assuming you are mechanically inclined.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/october/pilot/savvy-aviator-preventive-maintenance

https://www.ssa.org/files/member/coleal - (2009) legal interpretation.pdf

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, mooneyflyer said:

Can an owner change lightbulbs in panel avionics?  The issue of voiding a warranty is not my question. Thanks to all.

This begs the question "How many A$P's and maintenance personnel does it take to change a panel lightbulb"?

I say 5

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

This begs the question "How many A$P's and maintenance personnel does it take to change a panel lightbulb"?

I say 5

Safety in numbers!

How many pilots are required to land a plane “gear up”?  Normally only one, but more can be involved if needed.

Clarence

4 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Safety in numbers!

How many pilots are required to land a plane “gear up”?  Normally only one, but more can be involved if needed.

Clarence

Judging from YouTube videos, the probability goes up if there's a CFI on board:D

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Are you sure the bulb is bad? I wonder if it just might magically start working again. Maybe the replacement bulb sitting on the work bench is the one that's actually bad... just sayin...

yea, I have made the "mistake" of accidentally picking up the "new" set of brake pads and putting them back in when repacking the wheel bearings....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

According to 14CFR Appendix A to Part 43 (c) covering Preventive Maintenance, the answer would appear to be "no".  The only thing that comes close in this section (but doesn't appear to match your question) would be (c) Item 31...

"Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, and operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter."

To what type of panel avionics were you referring?

Happy to learn more from others with this one tho...

Maritz Gauge

Ok.  So, Moritz gauges are considered instruments, not avionics.  The lights can't be changed without major disassembly to the cluster(s).

Also, unless the bulb is a common part, Moritz has been out of business for some time, so unless someone has a spare laying around, you'd be better-off looking at replacing the Moritz cluster(s) with a JPI900 or a 930 as your primary, and free up what I'm guessing will be a significant amount of panel space.

Edited by StevenL757
Content
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Ok.  So, Moritz gauges are considered instruments, not avionics.  The lights can't be changed without major disassembly to the cluster(s).

Also, unless the bulb is a common part, Moritz has been out of business for some time, so unless someone has a spare laying around, you'd be better-off looking at replacing the Moritz cluster(s) with a JPI900 or a 930 as your primary, and free up what I'm guessing will be a significant amount of panel space.

The bulb costs $0.44 and can be replaced in 20 minutes...

15 minutes ago, mooneyflyer said:

The bulb costs $0.44 and can be replaced in 20 minutes...

Did you learn this just over the last day or so, and/or have you worked on a Moritz cluster recently?  If so, I'd be interested to hear about your experiences since your first post on Monday.  Might help others in similar situations.  Hard to tell what your background is without any info in your avatar, etc. to give any more meaningful guidance.

Edited by StevenL757
Addl. content