ARI cowl mod? Rehash..

Hey all, I’ve asked this before and has anyone recently bought, installed, gave up on the ARI cowl mod? I have a J cowl that I could install but would require more work or look again at the ARI mod? Btw, I’m a long way from that point in the process....

Thx.

I have the M20J cowl.  I want to get a list of what the rest of the parts are.  I think over time I should be able to get the factory parts off wrecked J’s.  

Sabermech’s cowl looks great and I would be interested.  I don’t have details on it.  He has other business interests and who knows when it will be available.  The M20J swap was a stc so my thought is it may be easier to get one time approval.  I would like to gather the parts needed to do a swap.

12 minutes ago, 67 m20F chump said:

I have the M20J cowl.  I want to get a list of what the rest of the parts are.  I think over time I should be able to get the factory parts off wrecked J’s.  

Sabermech’s cowl looks great and I would be interested.  I don’t have details on it.  He has other business interests and who knows when it will be available.  The M20J swap was a stc so my thought is it may be easier to get one time approval.  I would like to gather the parts needed to do a swap.

I have a J cowl on my C.  Unfortunately the STC references a diagram that I don't have.

8 minutes ago, 67 m20F chump said:

@67 m20F chump, it is my understanding that their are a number of approvals for the J cowl, most of the successful ones are done under 337. The previous owner of my airplane intended to do the swap but elected to restore a IO-550 power V tail rather then spend the money on the Mooney. However, he collected most of the parts.

You will need the following:

• Top Cowl Half
  • Bottom Cowl Half
  • Complete Baffling
  • The J Airbox including ram air
  • The firewall based mounting zues fastener ring
  • Cowl flaps from a J
  • The Lasar oil cooler relocation kit
  • A prop and spinner combination that supports the J, (I have a Top prop with a J spinner.)

While it is not an extensive list it is a lot of work. Their is an order to things if you want to slowly do it over time. For example, my airplane has the oil cooler relocation kit and the top prop for a 201. Without starting with those two mods you will not be able to fly the J cowl.

2 minutes ago, 67 m20F chump said:

If you do owner assist mx I would like to give you some help the next time you take off the cowl.  I want to take pictures of the firewall.  I’m in south Fayette county so it would be easy for me to get over to you.

Just now, 67 m20F chump said:

Is your cowl flap handle from a J or can you use the old cable and knob?

Can't tell if your talking to me or @rbridges

I am not that far along. But in the cockpit everything stays the same for the cowl flaps. I have not yet installed the J baffling yet so it is currently outside the airplane.   

Both of you are in Georgia so anything I can do to help you would help me too.  Let me know if you ever need a hand.  I want to get a better idea of what is needed to do the swap.  I wasn’t sure if the old cowl flap handle would have enough travel for the J cowl flaps.  The J has the in trail middle stop that we don’t have.

4 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

Both of you are in Georgia so anything I can do to help you would help me too.  Let me know if you ever need a hand.  I want to get a better idea of what is needed to do the swap.  I wasn’t sure if the old cowl flap handle would have enough travel for the J cowl flaps.  The J has the in trail middle stop that we don’t have.

I would be glad to let you look at what I have, but I believe the engine differences would make it apples and oranges.  

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, cdburks1 said:

I just purchased the ARI cowl mod.  Do you mind if I text you I may have some questions about the installation on my C model?

Who are you asking this question too?

You can click on the quote button on their last post...

Like I have done here...

A small red light shows up on their screen...

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, Sabremech said:

I am ever so hopeful to get my cowling done and certified this year. The virus has really made things difficult with the FAA and getting any progress done. 
David

I remain incredibly excited about this - hoping '68C will be covered in the first round!!

‘67 M20F: I purchased the ARI cowl mod and picked up a polished 201 spinner, scheduled with Top Gun for install after the July 4th weekend. I’ll make a post about the process afterwards, but feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions before or after!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 7:03 AM, 67 m20F chump said:

What are all the parts?  I would like to move forward on the cowl swap.  

I'm working on my swap now. I'm reading the IPC on the J. Slowly buying parts that Mooney engineers did the hard work. There's tons of information on MS about the swap. Tons of positive information, but also tons of negative as well. Many people saying: go buy a J. Some saying: Presti swap. Some saying: stay stock. I think: efff em! It's you're airplane. I prefer the J cowling, with the windshield it looks super slick. Try and use IPC, it really has a ton of information. 

Edited by ilikethewoods

13 hours ago, ilikethewoods said:

I think: efff em! It's you're airplane. 

It’s OK to think that...

Probably best not to say it out loud though. :)

Never know who is going to answer your next question...

Or help you find the missing part...

We all play for the same team.

Its a small Mooney world...

Best regards,

-a-