Good avionics shop in Florida

TheStig

I recently moved to Florida (back) and I’m living in Satellite Beach. Plane will be based at KMLB. 

I’m looking to do some upgrades to my panel in the future and beyond. I’d like to find a shop that I can go to with my needs and that will work with me on a 2-3 phased “masterplan.”

I’ve heard of Sarasota Avionics through their intense advertising way before moving here but that’s the only one I have hear of here in the state. Someone on MS suggested I look elsewhere.

My intent is to get some quotes for 2-3 options: G500Txi, GTN-750, GI-275 or G5 (keep KFC 150) / G3X , GTN 750, GI-275/G5, GFC 500 / GI-275 x 2 keep kfc 150. + want to swap out old engine instrumentation so either garmin or JPi 930.

One if the objectives is to remove vacuum system and modernize panel.

Any suggestions or experience you have had will be welcome!

Thanks!

The techs at Sarasota seem good, but the rest of the company employees...no.

I also used Treasure Coast at KFPR, but only if you’re going Garmin, and they tend to hit their estimates. Small shop, Cathy is owner, but they’re busy so you’ll need to plan ahead. I’m based there so can give you a ride back to MLB.

Jesse Saint at Saint Aviation on X35.  Hardworking honest team that will work with you.  
Plus you can visit his museum on site of all his father’s relief flight efforts in South America in the 50’s/60’s.  Pretty cool little place.

Except he listed Garmin products and they’re not a Garmin dealer.

Drew at Absolute Aviation in Edgwater is a real good choice. I had him doing some work and was very satisfied.

My panel upgrade with the Garmin 750, 345 ... install was done by Tomlinson Avionics at Page Field. https://www.tavionics.com/. They did a good job, on time and in accordance to the estimate. No surprises. Nice and friendly people.

Originally, I wanted Drew to do the work but at that time he was no Garmin dealer. In between he is a Garmin dealer. To be a Garmin dealer, you have to install and buy a certain amount of units from Garmin. Garmin dealers also handle warranty claims and take part in factory discount offers.

As Art mentioned, Treasure Coast does good work and comes in on the estimate, but they are so busy that they turned down my request to install a GI-275.

Sarasota does very good work but is expensive.

My partners and I just had our GI-275 ADI installed by a shop that's on our field, Boca Maintenance. Their bread and butter is servicing jets but take on single engine work as well. They matched an estimate for the -275 work that we received elsewhere and installed a new set of painted panels at what I consider a very reasonable price considering we got estimates 4x what they charged. Their installer recently came to them from a major avionics shop in the area and knew what he was doing.

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...