Uavionix Skybeacon And Tail Beacon install question

nels

Probably dozens around here (not specific to J)... maybe a hundred... lots...

1) One became available first...

2) The tail beacon followed...

3) Discussions of weight are always popular if it is going on a moving rudder...

4) Many Cs have short rudders... not an issue at all...

5) The third product is a matching device for the other wing ADSB in and ADSB out... (red and green)

6) Lots of easy to install details... a few tough spots, nothing serious...

7) Lots of weight saved... old power supplies tossed...

8) challenges if the wingtips aren’t flat... (this would be the J challenge for newer ones)

9) lots of cell phone programming flexibility, when and how... probably not while in use...

PP thoughts only, lots of threads supplied this knowledge...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Does your J have the faired wingtip covers with the plastic lense for the strobe and nav lights? If so it complicates the installation but @floridaflyer has done it. 

For the Tailbeacon, if your tail light is a white nav light it should be easy. On my K model it is a strobe, and uAvionics told me they have no plans to make a strobe version which ruled that option out for me. 

• Like 1

The whole issue of re-balanncing the rudder steered me away from the Tailbeacon on my C.  If the taillight is not on the rudder on a J, that would be my first choice.

I installed a tail beacon on my experimental aircraft and a Skybeacon on my C.  Both were extremely quick and easy to install.  Both have worked flawlessly from day one.  The company has answered questions within hours of emailing...even dumb questions.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the Skybeacon 9 months, no issues with it.  Soon as the TailbeaconX certified becomes available, it's certified but they won't sell it until the STC is ready, I'll put that on the '62C tail cone.  TailbeaconX transponder/ads-b out controlled by the AV30 allows for the old shark fin antenna to go away.  Flush mount marker beacon antenna is next... I'll have a budget smooth belly thanks to Uavionix.