How to make my switch panel look decent?

I dislike how my switch panel looks, including the area around the engine controls.

I figure replacing it is an involving process - remove all cables, replace, rig all cables etc.

I learned that other people have that panel made of molded aluminum with rounded corners.  That one can be polished and lettering reapplied.

But mine is a piece of plastic and the backing aluminum piece seems sharp edged.  

What are my options?

Thanks

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

People are mostly replacing the aluminum sheet that makes up the three sections of the instrument panel...

One of the coolest M20Cs just traded hands this week...  it belonged to @gsxrpilot and was sold again...

There are several pre-designed panels from Lasar or Hendricks...

These can be updated as well...

When it comes to designing panels, EAA hands out cad software to help... join EAA first...

There are threads around here where people discuss their panel drawings... that is a great place to start...

Then select the finish... then the graphics...

There are infinitely many solutions...

The aluminum is cheap...

The project gets difficult because it is 3D... there is a lot going on behind the panel...

Refreshing what you have is possible... expensive... and it looks like somebody else put a big decal on it... that is probably not original...

Function over looks should be considered as well...

Very often, people replace engine controls at the time of OH.  They have been shown to not last forever... and their cost of failure can be enormous...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

There used to be a poster on here that was located near Austin, Tx I think.  He had the ability to engrave the overlay panel.  Then simply clean and paint the portion underneath where the crack is.  I was going to get one for my C before I injured my shoulder and had to sell it.  I can’t remember his moniker.  Gsxrpilot might remember.

13 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

There used to be a poster on here that was located near Austin, Tx I think.  He had the ability to engrave the overlay panel.  Then simply clean and paint the portion underneath where the crack is.  I was going to get one for my C before I injured my shoulder and had to sell it.  I can’t remember his moniker.  Gsxrpilot might remember.

Pretty sure that guy closed down his business 

15 hours ago, bavareze said:

I dislike how my switch panel looks, including the area around the engine controls.

I’m in the same boat.  I think I took this image off MS... can’t remember who posted it.  Any of the used parts places could probably provide.  I entertained replacing the plastic overlay (with the sticker... mine looks much like yours) with one of the lower engraved panel subassemblies.  However, I suspect the holes won’t be aligned.  

Someday (when I work up the initiative), my plan is to loosen all the circuit breakers and controls from the panel, pull the plastic off, clean up the aluminum underneath, debur the edges, brush paint some primer and flat black on it, reinstall/tighten up everything loosened, and make up new labels on my computer.  The sticky back inkjet paper makes a pretty good looking label (better than a label maker).  Someone posted pics of labels printed on transfer paper that look very professional, too.

I’m kicking myself that I didn’t do this when my panel was tore apart a couple years ago.

image.thumb.jpeg.6ea4252ed7203d7bc0a7b51d888bff2f.jpeg

image.thumb.png.05df3fbb5dd638c25f3d1655304d7599.png

• 3 weeks later...