Night flying with reading glasses

Nukemzzz

Ok...so I’m new to two things...flying and wearing reading glasses.  Last night, during my first night training flight, I discovered that needing reading glasses adds an additional level of difficulty!

i’m 44yrs old.  Noticed that my short range focus started to go a few years ago and in 2020 I started using reading glasses. Vision is still prefect outside of arms length, but short range low light vision is the hardest. I tried landing with my CFI last night with my readers low on my nose to read the gages and look over them to see outside the plane at the same time. This was tricky and it seemed like it could cause real problems with disorientation if IFR.  I kept looking outside through the lenses on accident. What a mess. Flying is hard enough without this added challenge!

What advice do you experienced pilots have for me on this? Should I crank the lights up and just not see so well outside?  Should I just look at the pointer direction on the gages and give up on reading numbers?  Lol    Is there a technique or product that you use?

• Like 1

1) Welcome aboard to the other half of where you are going...

2) What reading glasses did you get?   Did you buy them yourself from the store after trying a few Out?

The reason why I ask...

3) I went to the doc...  eye doc... he explained how the eye shape changes over time...

4) Which means the prescription changes continuously to reach the next level over a year or two...

5) Distance gets better, while short distance gets worse... trading one for the other...

6) When the prescription is new and nicely tuned... it is easy to flop between near and far... using something that OGs know really well...

7) OG secrets... bifocals, tri focals,  some with lines, some without...

8) See real eye doc, pay a ton of dough... and see clear, near, far, light, dark, without even thinking about it...

9) If you wear contact lenses... there are strategies for that as well...

10) when you start to struggle with the focus again... no surprise... change up the lenses again... as the decades go by, you will have more things to worry about... you will look forward to seeing clearly again...

PP thoughts only, not an eye doc, and not an OG with bad eyesight... I’m an OG with good eyesight thanks to a pair of good glasses...   

:)

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Progressive lenses due to an astigmatism and also some close vision issues.  I think they're great for flying, though no where in the price range of readers.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I went for years to one place for my glasses, but they closed.  Eventually had to go to a new place and HATED the glasses they made.  Apparently the lenses I originally was getting had a very wide MID RANGE (Progressive lenses have an hour glass shape in the view area).  Once they fixed that I was very happy again with them.  Not sure if it is a lens manufacturer difference or just how they make them.  But be sure to discuss this with the Eye Doc and whomever is actually selling you the glasses. 

• Like 3

It is very much a discussion with the doc...

Unless the doc flys a Mooney...   be ready to discuss what you use your eyes for... how far away your panel is...

+1 for line free, progressive lenses... with a light gradient of tint...

Current lenses are incredibly scratch resistant, and very thin compared to history...

Expect a day to get used to them... which is really hard to do in the doc’s office...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I've got the same thing going on here. 48 and need the readers for the plates and reading the ipad, but less so for instruments except at night.

I did the same thing, hanging off the end of my nose and it seems to work. If I could find those half size readers it would be perfect!

I have progressives that I use doing computer work, but can't walk around or drive with them and really don't need to ( totally destroys depth perception, but I am just not used to using them ). Flying with them did not work well either so went back to the cheap readers in the plane, the same ones I now scatter around the house and at work!

• Like 1

I tried the readers route with them down on the end of my nose but had the same issues with the transition of looking through the readers sometimes while trying to look outside. I went to the eye doctor and got a pair of glasses. They aren't progressives, there is a line in them. They are 1.50 on the bottom and the top is just clear. When I wear them the line is right at the top of the panel which is perfect, I don't even notice it. I look at the panel and it's clear, I look outside and it's clear. The eye doctor had me put them on, then measured where to put the line, if it ended up being off a little he said to come back. He works with quite a few pilots and flies GA himself which I'm sure helped him get it lined up in the right spot.

I have a pair of sunglasses with readers in the bottom that I got online. They work, mostly, but the line in them is not quite perfect. After getting the clear ones from the eye doctor I'm seriously considering going back to have him order a set of sunglasses with the line in the right place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I tried the readers route with them down on the end of my nose but had the same issues with the transition of looking through the readers sometimes while trying to look outside. I went to the eye doctor and got a pair of glasses. They aren't progressives, there is a line in them. They are 1.50 on the bottom and the top is just clear. When I wear them the line is right at the top of the panel which is perfect, I don't even notice it. I look at the panel and it's clear, I look outside and it's clear. The eye doctor had me put them on, then measured where to put the line, if it ended up being off a little he said to come back. He works with quite a few pilots and flies GA himself which I'm sure helped him get it lined up in the right spot.

I have a pair of sunglasses with readers in the bottom that I got online. They work, mostly, but the line in them is not quite perfect. After getting the clear ones from the eye doctor I'm seriously considering going back to have him order a set of sunglasses with the line in the right place.

I like this idea a lot! I'll see if I can get this done.

Interesting...I’ve only been to an optometrist twice in my life. First time was for a floater  that freaked me out like 5 years ago(it’s since vanished), the second was for the Airman Medical Cert last year. I told them that I’m having a hard time reading close, especially in low light (can no longer read the check at a fancy restaurant).  Asked if they did reading glasses and they said no...people just get at Walmart or CVS and recommended I try 1.25x.  I tried that, worked fine. Then one day I tried the 2 and 2.5 and things were even closer and that was cool so changed to them. Maybe going up in mag isn’t doing me any favors. The big mag change from close to far is making my eyes take a bit to adjust and that’s what’s really messing with me. When taking the glasses off I can count to like 2-5 Mississippi before things outside of the glasses come back into complete focus. Lol

I like the idea of glasses with mag only on the bottom. Also easier to not lose them in the cabin if they just stay on my face. I’ll have to check in on these. 

I haven't been happy with the progressive lenses from my eye doc, but the CB option works for me:

Contacts and then these - Elvex RX-350C 2.0 Diopter Bifocal Safety Glasses, Metallic Brown Frame/Clear Lens - $11.95    ...and I'm considering splurging on the Progressive Multifocal Computer Reading Glasses Anti Blue-ray Multifocus Readers, for $21.95

• Like 1

@milotron If you're using your Progressives for your computer, then they really messed up your prescription and didn't make them right.  (Assuming you're not talking literally using a "laptop" where you're looking down through the bottom of the lens all the time.)  I have to crank my head way up to look through the middle or bottom of mine, pending where I'm sitting in relation to the monitor. 

Top of mine have very little correction, but do correct for the astigmatism.  So they work great for looking out the window (flying or driving).  Middle is just right for the panel (discussed with the Doc how far away the panel was).  Bottom is good for the iPad, menus, paper I'm holding, etc.  The glasses I use for the computer have a standard lens (same top to bottom) set for the approx. distance to the screen.  So I don't have to tilt my head while sitting at my desk.  (Which has been a LOT this year with all the Virtual Meetings/Training events.)

5 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

@milotron If you're using your Progressives for your computer, then they really messed up your prescription and didn't make them right.  (Assuming you're not talking literally using a "laptop" where you're looking down through the bottom of the lens all the time.)  I have to crank my head way up to look through the middle or bottom of mine, pending where I'm sitting in relation to the monitor. 

Top of mine have very little correction, but do correct for the astigmatism.  So they work great for looking out the window (flying or driving).  Middle is just right for the panel (discussed with the Doc how far away the panel was).  Bottom is good for the iPad, menus, paper I'm holding, etc.  The glasses I use for the computer have a standard lens (same top to bottom) set for the approx. distance to the screen.  So I don't have to tilt my head while sitting at my desk.  (Which has been a LOT this year with all the Virtual Meetings/Training events.)

Hi, at home it is literally laptop in my lap work or reading that I use them for. I do have to cock my head around to get the best focus band in them for sure. It is also likely my prescription has changes and due to COVID I don't really want to go see the doc. The prescription lenses have a bit of a prism as well, but I find 1.5 readers do just fine and use those at work and on the plane.

Ok...so I’m new to two things...flying and wearing reading glasses.  Last night, during my first night training flight, I discovered that needing reading glasses adds an additional level of difficulty!
i’m 44yrs old.  Noticed that my short range focus started to go a few years ago and in 2020 I started using reading glasses. Vision is still prefect outside of arms length, but short range low light vision is the hardest. I tried landing with my CFI last night with my readers low on my nose to read the gages and look over them to see outside the plane at the same time. This was tricky and it seemed like it could cause real problems with disorientation if IFR.  I kept looking outside through the lenses on accident. What a mess. Flying is hard enough without this added challenge!

What advice do you experienced pilots have for me on this? Should I crank the lights up and just not see so well outside?  Should I just look at the pointer direction on the gages and give up on reading numbers?  Lol    Is there a technique or product that you use?

Boomersintheknow.com and readers.com sell full lens “cheaters” for very little. You can get them in clear and a variety of different shades as well as different powers. I have several pairs in the plane and flight bag.

I tried the Optx stick-ons and hated them. For me, a guy who wears large frame glasses, they covered too small of an area. Plus I could never get the bubbles completely out.

I’m still seeing better than 20/20 for distance but like you, started needed readers in my 40s.

As for “floaters”. If they bother you, spend some time before you get to your 60s and read about PVDs. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterior_vitreous_detachment

Ain’t getting old fun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eye doctor and glasses are the ultimate answer.  Years ago, I started having problems reading the approach plates under a red light. Daylight was fine, night, no way.  If I turned on a white light, yep, back in focus.  Eye doc explained the red light involves a different focal length. Even if your readers work in the daylight, you may need something a little stronger at night.

I ought to train my dog. Bark once for up, twice for down, growl right, whine left.  Lick my face for gear down.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Boomersintheknow.com and readers.com sell full lens “cheaters” for very little. You can get them in clear and a variety of different shades as well as different powers. I have several pairs in the plane and flight bag.

I tried the Optx stick-ons and hated them. For me, a guy who wears large frame glasses, they covered too small of an area. Plus I could never get the bubbles completely out.

I’m still seeing better than 20/20 for distance but like you, started needed readers in my 40s.

As for “floaters”. If they bother you, spend some time before you get to your 60s and read about PVDs. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterior_vitreous_detachment

Ain’t getting old fun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The floater is no factor.  It was a slight dark spot showing up on a bright computer screen that tracked with my eye movement.  Barely visible.  It went away on its own in a couple of months....for now.  

There was an article in flying a handful of years ago where you measured the distance from eyes to panel and eyes to see your lap and outside, I brought there to eye doc and asked if this could be done yes, I’ve been wearing progs flying and driving since. I can’t work with them though, being a CPA I can only use the reading glasses or a major headache occurs.

Like Chris golden years are great.

• Like 2

Another place that bifocals don’t work so well...

Take them out running...   :)

what you want to see is about 6 - 12 ft away...

to avoid stepping on, or in something...

Instead of arm’s length away...

You quickly remember what you forgot to do before leaving the house...

+1 Getting old is a blessing...

The alternative isn’t very enticing...   :)

+1 for the cones and rods being at different depths from the lens...  B&W vs. Color...

PP thoughts only... I’m not dead yet - Monty Python

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Moving into my 40's I had this problem too.  Wearing full lens readers as I type this.   In the plane for night flying, I use half lens readers with no/minimal frame.  Works great for me.  Putting full lens glasses down my nose was also less than ideal.  Yes, I feel like an old fart wearing half lens glasses, but at least I can see the panel and charts at night.  

William

• Like 1

I can't recall if it was here or somewhere else, but I recall reading an article or discussion that while red light was less likely to kill your retina rod cells, those are best at detecting light and motion.  For reading and acuity, though, you need to have sufficient light for the cone cells.  The conclusion was that sufficient white light to read by was not significantly worse than sufficient red light to read by.  If you're just talking about general night vision and the ability to not run into trees, red light for illumination would probably be better, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I can't recall if it was here or somewhere else, but I recall reading an article or discussion that while red light was less likely to kill your retina rod cells, those are best at detecting light and motion.  For reading and acuity, though, you need to have sufficient light for the cone cells.  The conclusion was that sufficient white light to read by was not significantly worse than sufficient red light to read by.  If you're just talking about general night vision and the ability to not run into trees, red light for illumination would probably be better, though.

Red light insiide the cockpit (and car, too, dammit!) IS much better. So why are the automakers filling the cabins with unneeded white light? Bothers me to no end when I'm driving. No, I don't need a white light shining down under the center console illuminating the phone charging pad, which I rarely use, and i certainly don't want white lights shining into both front floorboards! At least my Mooney is filled with red light at night so I can see outside . . . .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Danb said:

There was an article in flying a handful of years ago where you measured the distance from eyes to panel and eyes to see your lap and outside, I brought there to eye doc and asked if this could be done yes, I’ve been wearing progs flying and driving since. I can’t work with them though, being a CPA I can only use the reading glasses or a major headache occurs.

Like Chris golden years are great.

Absolutely necessary to get a good fit. When I change airplanes, I go get a new pair of glasses (trifocals) to fit the airplane. Also measure with a ruler in mm up from the bottom of the lens where things are in your field of view. Then measure from your eye where those things are in inches. This helps the eye doc greatly in fashioning a pair that work for you in that airplane. The advice to "be prepared to spend a ton of money" is absolutely true. I have three pairs. One regular everyday trifocals, clear trifocals for the airplane and sunglass trifocals for the airplane. Go with amber lenses for the airplane if you have a glass panel so the colors pop and of course NO POLARIZATION. Do not be afraid to take them back to the doc to have new lenses made if your first attempt does not work. I go to the doc every year and change out at least one of the three pair.

There used to be a great eye doc right at the entrance to JFK who had a cockpit mock up that you could sit in and he would fit you. He is gone now, but it seems like something some enterprising DO would now for business especially with the business going discount via Visionworks etc.

Equally so, I may need cataract surgery before I hang up my spurs. (thanks to arctic crossings), if I do I may go Prelex as I have heard nothing but good outcomes. People are seeing better than 20/20 with it with no flashes or scar tissue. Then...no glasses needed!

• Like 3

I was lucky, it was not until I was in my late 50's or early 60's that I started needing readers for low light. I have three pairs of glasses I use for flying, all of them with glass lenses and not polarized, because that really messes up the use of any kind of view screen (such as a GTN) in the cockpit. Two are sunglasses, Ray Ban aviators. I found that what works best is a relatively tall lens from top to bottom and that fit the bill. I am able to get the sunscreen coating applied progressively, so the top say 60% of the lens is darkened and the bottom progresses to clear. That is to help with seeing the gauges inside the cockpit, which is darker than looking  out the window into the sun, obviously. The lenses are progressive, with more magnification near the bottom. I did not have them put in full reader power, which would be about 3x for me, but enough to make the gauges clear. As for reading plates, I do that on the iPad, and now I have a GTN 750, with the result that if I need to read some particularly tiny print I can just pinch and zoom out.

The third pair is on a set of frames that are similar to, but not quite the same as the Ray Ban Aviators. They are completely clear. I wear them for daily use and use them in the cockpit for dark conditions, night landings especially. 

All three are custom made, not cheap but hey, its my life. Gotta see those mosquitos ten miles out and closing at three or four hundred knots.

• Like 2

This was a very timely post. I've been using readers for the past decade, upping the strength every few years, and noticed this past weekend that I can see the panel just fine, but using Garmin Pilot mounted on the yoke is very difficult. For those that use progressives, is this an area where they would be of help?

• Like 1

Progressives give you three primary ranges, with no hard line.  So "in theory" they are continuous and you maybe able to focus on other distances in the transition area.  A slight tilt of the head up or down will bring things into focus.  Your "readers" are one focal length, so you get what you got.

So if you have a good eye Doc AND a good eye glass person that knows what to order for you, you'll love them. 

And as I noted in an earlier post.  My Progressives apparently have a VERY WIDE mid range viewing area.  Regretfully I don't know if this is because of the brand of lens or the way the order was put in.  I had the non-wide version in replacement glasses for about a week and HATED them.  With the narrow mid range you find yourself looking left-right to get things in focus in addition to the up-down for range.  

Once you put all the non-scratch and other coatings you may want, they're not inexpensive.  But I got light weight ones and just don't bother putting them on or off, i just wear them since I can generally see whatever I'm looking at with no issues.

I also have a fixed focal length for the computer so I'm not cranking my head up to always be in the mid range.  I opted for prescription because of my astigmatism (reason I got glasses in the first place).  Your readers may work fine for you.

• Like 1