Bluetoothing XM Audio

donkaye

I posed this on BeechTalk and I thought I'd do the same here.

Given: Aera 760, GDL 52, Bose A20, GMA 35c
Is it possible to bluetooth the XM Audio from the GDL 52 to either the Bose or the GMA 35c?  Hardwire, of course, works to both.  Bluetooth not successful to either.

One of the challenges for BT (the teeth, not the talk)...

1) It depends on how far away the emitter and the receiver are...

2) What gets in between them...

3) The direction of the box with the antenna is...

4) A few Long Bodies with the GDL in the tail had difficulties getting the signal up to the front seats...

5) One big challenge was a piece of foil backed foam used to insulate the back wall... some planes had a piece of aluminum back there...

There are a few slightly aged threads covering this topic...

Is this anything like what you are experiencing?

BT is cool because one source can feed multiple devices... where WiFi does a similar thing, but can only connect to one device at a time... (rough repeat, of stuff I have learned here)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

One of the challenges for BT (the teeth, not the talk)...

1) It depends on how far away the emitter and the receiver are...

2) What gets in between them...

3) The direction of the box with the antenna is...

4) A few Long Bodies with the GDL in the tail had difficulties getting the signal up to the front seats...

5) One big challenge was a piece of foil backed foam used to insulate the back wall... some planes had a piece of aluminum back there...

There are a few slightly aged threads covering this topic...

Is this anything like what you are experiencing?

BT is cool because on source can feed multiple devices... where WiFi does a similar thing, but can only connect to one device at a time... (rough repeat, of stuff I have learned here)

Best regards,

-a-

No, all boxes are within 1 foot of each other and BT for ADS-B Traffic and Weather and XM Weather are received on the Aera 760.  Only audio is missing.

• Like 1

Let’s see if @KLudwick is around... KL has some big G experience... and may know others with more experience... (sound challenge, wired connections work, blue tooth doesn’t, details in posts above...)

Invite @Baker Avionics Greg to the discussion.... he may know some details as well...

Best regards,

-a-

Don,

I can BT my cellphone audio to my Bose A20 very nicely.  I tried the BT music audio from a GDL52 and a 52R (as apposed to the 'alert' audio) to my A20, and the volume was way too soft.  I came to the conclusion that it was not possible.  Yesterday my friend managed to get successfully get BT music from a GDL52R to his Lightspeed headsets.  So at the next opportunity, I plan to go try by A20's alongside his Lightspeeds for music.

Hardwire, no problem.

Aerodon

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I have the same set-up with the Aera 660 and the GDL52 and I think the  music goes bluetooth from the Aera 660 to the audio panel since the 660 is what determines the XM station I'm on.

What audio panel do you have?  My 760 pairs with the GDL 52, but the GDL 52 won't pair with the GMA 35c.  The 760 can pair with one device and the GDL 52 with 2, but the GMA 35c apparently isn't one of them.

6 hours ago, donkaye said:

What audio panel do you have?  My 760 pairs with the GDL 52, but the GDL 52 won't pair with the GMA 35c.  The 760 can pair with one device and the GDL 52 with 2, but the GMA 35c apparently isn't one of them.

I have the PS7000BT (PS Engineering with Bluetooth). My airplane is getting some panel work done or I would walk out to the hangar to check for sure. I should have it back within a week. You may have to hardwire the 760/GDL52 and then connect the 760 via bluetooth to the audio panel.

If you want to keep it portable so that you can move it to another airplane when you instruct, I believe Garmin sells a cigarette power cable that powers both units (760/GDL52) and connects them. Connecting bluetooth then to your headset from the 760 should work. 

16 hours ago, donkaye said:

I posed this on BeechTalk and I thought I'd do the same here.

Given: Aera 760, GDL 52, Bose A20, GMA 35c
Is it possible to bluetooth the XM Audio from the GDL 52 to either the Bose or the GMA 35c?  Hardwire, of course, works to both.  Bluetooth not successful to either.

How attached are you to the GMA35c?  I *believe* the PMA450B has this capability, but would need to confirm.  My shop talked me out of a GMA35c and 350 when we were planning my initial upgrade in 2016 but am not recalling specifics from the “audio” pieces of those conversations.

Inviting @Mscheuer to clarify the 450B capabilities.

Edited by StevenL757
Clarity
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StevenL757 said:

How attached are you to the GMA35c?  I *believe* the PMA450B has this capability, but would need to confirm.  My shop talked me out of a GMA35c and 350 when we were planning my initial upgrade in 2016 but am not recalling specifics from the “audio” pieces of those conversations.

Inviting @Mscheuer to clarify the 450B capabilities.

Don is attached to the GMA35c. He uses the telligence voice commands to connect to his other Garmin devices.

• Thanks 1

Usually the situation with Bluetooth is that there are limited "send" channels and most devices are limited to "receive" from a single source device. 

I'm not familiar with the GMA35c but you might start with an inventory of what devices/audio/streams are being "sent" over bluetooth and what devices/audio/streams are being "received" over bluetooth. 

You might just be out of channels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Usually the situation with Bluetooth is that there are limited "send" channels and most devices are limited to "receive" from a single source device. 

I'm not familiar with the GMA35c but you might start with an inventory of what devices/audio/streams are being "sent" over bluetooth and what devices/audio/streams are being "received" over bluetooth. 

You might just be out of channels.

Paul you are the winner today!!!!!  That is pretty much the long and the short of it.  It may work, but will be degraded to a non-useable level.  

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I have the same set-up with the Aera 660 and the GDL52 and I think the  music goes bluetooth from the Aera 660 to the audio panel since the 660 is what determines the XM station I'm on.

I don't think so.  The 660 selects the channel on the GDL and the GDL receives and plays the XM music - either hardwire or BT.  Turn the 660 off and the music still plays.  The 660 has audio out wires, but I believe they are for 'alerts' and messages generated by the 660.

Aerodon

46 minutes ago, Aerodon said:

I don't think so.  The 660 selects the channel on the GDL and the GDL receives and plays the XM music - either hardwire or BT.  Turn the 660 off and the music still plays.  The 660 has audio out wires, but I believe they are for 'alerts' and messages generated by the 660.

Aerodon

My experience as well 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, I can try.

The PMA450B actually has two Bluetooth (completely independent) which allows connection to two devices simultaneously. This then allows the pilot, copilot, or passengers the ability to listen to two devices at the same time.

For example, the pilot can connect their phone (music source or telephone) to BT1 while connecting an iPad to BT. Now the pilot can her ForeFlight audi alerts and hear his. USBc from their phone at the same time.

or maybe the kids in the back wanted hear the audio from a movie they are watching on their iPad but mom and dad want to hear their own entertainment, they can!

All in all there are a total of 27 music distributions that can be selected, and it is VERY EASY to do.

Hope this helps!

Mark

• Like 1