Adsb in options.

warrenehc

I have a Garmin 330es transponder on my new plane. I am looking at option for adsb in options.

The easy option would be to purchase the 345 of course.

Is there a option to connect a gdl 52 or something similar to the 330 and have the Bluetooth to connect the adsb in?

There are many options...

We would have to know something about what you are trying to do...

Lowest cost is a priority for some people...

Minimum install is another...

Portable vs. fully installed

Is your new plane going to be a forever plane?

Do you love big G or hate big G..?

Do you want to support the other manufacturers with open platforms...

Things that come to mind...

Best regards,

-a-

11 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There are many options...

We would have to know something about what you are trying to do...

Lowest cost is a priority for some people...

Minimum install is another...

Portable vs. fully installed

Is your new plane going to be a forever plane?

Do you love big G or hate big G..?

Do you want to support the other manufacturers with open platforms...

Things that come to mind...

Best regards,

-a-

I am open to all options. I passed on my sentry when I sold my last plane. It was super easy to work with and very cost effective. If a fully installed option that was reasonably priced would be nice.

The cheapest is Android tablet (has GPS) for about $100 and a Stratux.me  for about $100 and droidefb or Avare.   It has worked great for me for 5 years.    I could buy the $1000 box for the Skyview,   But there is some chance I may make a format converter to do GDL55 to GDL99   but other project are in the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

The cheapest is Android tablet (has GPS) for about $100 and a Stratux.me  for about $100 and droidefb or Avare.   It has worked great for me for 5 years.    I could buy the $1000 box for the Skyview,   But there is some chance I may make a format converter to do GDL55 to GDL99   but other project are in the way.

Same, here. Built my Stratux about four years ago and it works great. I used Droidefb for about two years and switched to iFlyGPS a year ago and really like it. 

Rumor has it that you can hook your stratux up to an external antenna like this one and it provides excellent reception. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/monopole11-13561.php

You can also get a cable to plug the stratux into an adapter in the cigarette lighter or USB power outlet so that you don't have to run it off a battery. Once it is connected like that some velcro will attach it to the back of the panel and it is now out of sight, not stuck to a window or on the glareshield, and it works great. 

I may or may not be able to confirm the above modifications... 

• Like 1

I have a GDL-39 connected to a Garmin Aera, and Bluetoothed to my iPad.

I connected the audio of the Aera to my headphones, so I get all of the audio alerts (“Traffic! Traffic!, Terrain! terrain!, etc.) and the display shows all of the weather and other airplanes on my yoke.  Great solution for about $1200. 

4 hours ago, warrenehc said:

I am open to all options. I passed on my sentry when I sold my last plane. It was super easy to work with and very cost effective. If a fully installed option that was reasonably priced would be nice.

The key point of the installed system is displaying the adsb in information.  Do you have glass that would be good for this?  G3X, G500, GTN650/750, GNS530w or GNS430W, Aspen, etc?  If you have one of those, it might make sense to get a system installed.  I have traffic on my 430 and I like it.  The weather isn’t very useful on the small screen.

If you have nothing installed to display it on and you’re planning to use a tablet (which is a good solution), just buy another Sentry and be done!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

I know a ton of experimental guys would love a GDL55 to GDL 99 (GDL 90?) converter. Talking with a friend yesterday who is restoring a variviggen has very limited panel space and is trying to use a GI-275 as a VFR GPS and ADS-B display as it is the smallest way to do all of that. He has a GDL39R but you cant use a GDL39/GDL5X with any non G3X panel mounted equipment.

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

The key point of the installed system is displaying the adsb in information.  Do you have glass that would be good for this?  G3X, G500, GTN650/750, GNS530w or GNS430W, Aspen, etc?  If you have one of those, it might make sense to get a system installed.  I have traffic on my 430 and I like it.  The weather isn’t very useful on the small screen.

If you have nothing installed to display it on and you’re planning to use a tablet (which is a good solution), just buy another Sentry and be done!

I have dual G5 and 530w.

1 hour ago, warrenehc said:

I have dual G5 and 530w.

Interesting.  I have very similar, 2xG5 and 430w.  I like the traffic on my 430.  It’s useful.  Also, I get audio warnings if I get really close to someone.  The weather information will be displayed on the 530w too, but it’s probably more useful on a tablet.  Radar data is ok on the 530, but TAF/METARS are tough to read.

If I was you, I’d find an installed, certified setup that can feed your 530w and give you BT and adhrs to your tablet.  Which GDL is that guys?  I used the gtx-345, but you already have the -330, so don’t need a new transponder.

Ooh, quick research says that a panel mounted receiver may not exist?  Maybe trade/sell the -330es and put in a -345?  Might be worth going with sentry for a while and seeing if you really want traffic on the 530 and audio alerts?

Warren,

Where are you located..?

What display do you want to show it on?  iPad, panel ‘mounted’ portable... panel mounted display...

So many choices from just one vendor...   https://sarasotaavionics.com/manufacturers/garmin?cat=12

Do you have a preference for pre-flown or new?

Best regards,

-a-

I have a dual-band stratux (both 1090-ES and 978 in) and an in-panel Freeflight Ranger that is 978-in only but is connected to my in-panel GPS display (IFD540).   The Stratux feeds my tablets, so I get the traffic display from it on my EFBs, and then the traffic from the Ranger on the IFD540 display.

That is NOT overkill. 

Since they all have separate input antennas, they all experience different reception and shadowing.    The Ranger is connected to a former DME blade antenna on the belly of the airplane, and my stratux is, good or bad, suction-cupped to the rear passenger window.

I regularly see spotty differences in traffic reception between them, i.e., once in a while the IFD will show traffic from the Ranger that the EFB is not showing, and vice-versa.   So my cockpit scan includes frequent checks of both since I live in a high-traffic area.

If either one of them failed I'd feel like my traffic situational awareness was diminished.   Having both is awesome.

• Like 1