NOW AND THEN, THE FACTORY WILL HAVE EITHER A NEW PLANE OR FACTORY REFURBISHED PLANE FOR SALE

chinoguym20

I saw that “the last” Ovation Ultra off the assembly line is offered for sale. It looks a good deal and you don’t have to pay the usual distributor fee (10-20%?).

I hear there are a few others in various stages of subassembly, so maybe we might see one roll off now and again. I sure hope so  

Didn’t Mooney auction off the last Mooney R or TN when that production ceased?  I wonder if that would be a good way to sell it?

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

Where do you see this?    The money is in the dies.   I think they should let owners come produce their own parts and then owner assist 50% builds.

The money is in labor. Even my two new injection molds I'm buying for half the price of a new Mooney need people around the clock to make parts. $20/hr = 40 AMU, and a minimum of 4 operators, a maintenance guy and a repairman. Call it 240 AMU per year, with a lifespan of decades.

Which expense bucket will empty first: 400 to buy, then nothing; or 240 per year to run?

7 hours ago, Yetti said:

Where do you see this?    The money is in the dies.   I think they should let owners come produce their own parts and then owner assist 50% builds.

On the Factory Aircraft Sales page of the website. The last Ovation is the 2021 32-0012.

I’m not sure it would be possible for owners to produce parts and assist the build, flight test and certification.  It takes many skill sets and a good deal of tribal knowledge.  Although I agree, it would be fun to try.

22 hours ago, chinoguym20 said:

On the Factory Aircraft Sales page of the website. The last Ovation is the 2021 32-0012.

I’m not sure it would be possible for owners to produce parts and assist the build, flight test and certification.  It takes many skill sets and a good deal of tribal knowledge.  Although I agree, it would be fun to try.

Home builders have been building for decades. It doesn’t take anything special to build a Mooney other than a good set of drawings and documentation. 

On 1/9/2021 at 10:55 AM, Yetti said:

I disagree with you.  

On the upside, Mooney have a pretty good well established design.  On the downside it probably takes 3-4000 hours to build one and the competition takes 2000 hours?  So the real question is whether you can set up a production line that will cover the overhead and compete in the market.  Any assistance you try provide will jets reduce efficiency.

Experimental or owner build airplanes are a different market. The new generation of kits has laid out the future.  If you are going composite, the factory or shadow factory needs to help the kit builder build the wing in a week using factory jigs, large single pice parts, experienced labor etc.  Then the fuselage in a week, the avionics need to be almost ready to drop in etc.  If you are going metal, same idea but the parts need to be match drilled and have all the jigs available.  And its not cheap either.  A friend built a Lancair IV over 20 years and could have put the same hours into his day business and bought a new Malibu Mirage.  He tried various owner assist facilities, but the math (or the results) did not work out.  

Aerodon

Alright, I’ve been resisting jumping into this attempt at inciting something type of thread.......

But, here goes........ we’ve put so much out there over the past several years on what Mooney should do......... exhausting!!

My opinion........why would Jonny continue to build something that does not sell? I believe he won’t.

Nothing to see here folks, move along . :(  Maybe watch Cleveland continue to whip the Steelers ......Enjoy the rest of your evening. 

• Like 2

Unrelated to the new Ovation - I wanted to post about the folks at KTEL in Tell City, IN. I recently landed there on my way to Kerrville. Their mission is to make GA affordable and they're doing it right. A courtesy car, cheap fuel, a place to sleep for the night and most importantly, mid-west friendliness! Thanks to Ken and Mark at KTEL - appreciate the service!

Stop by and say hello!

Jonny

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

Unrelated to the new Ovation - I wanted to post about the folks at KTEL in Tell City, IN. I recently landed there on my way to Kerrville. Their mission is to make GA affordable and they're doing it right. A courtesy car, cheap fuel, a place to sleep for the night and most importantly, mid-west friendliness! Thanks to Ken and Mark at KTEL - appreciate the service!

Stop by and say hello!

Jonny

Ok, now there is legitimate content in this thread!

The “new Ovation “ ! Whoopie! That’s exciting!!!!

And yes, my experiences flying through the mid-west, airport folks get the highest marks for friendliness and hospitality..... I love it!!

Thank you Jonny...... Go Mooney!!:D  I’m grateful for you and your Dreamteam!  (Probably Al is too!)