fuel leak M20C - is it inside the plane or outside

1)   Fuel stains inside the plane but also on the upper surface of the wing.

Is the leak through the top wing surface, and fuel going slowly inside the plane (Blue circle)

OR

fuel leak in between fuselage and wing, staining the carpet and through capillarity reaching high enough to be seeping outside the plane (red circle)

OR

both?

2) what are those (green circle) hooks for?

3) wind coming in from under the door.  What's the part number to order a new door seal?

Thanks!

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

Pull the interior panels to get more info on the leak. Possibly the upper inboard seam if the tanks were full. Simple temporary solution, don’t top off completely. You can also pull the long angle trim piece that closes off the gap left along the wing to fuselage junction. Maybe wing root fairing is the proper name?

The green circles used to hold springs that sat under the seat cushion. Sort of like bed springs. Not worth replacing. 

Edited by lamont337
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, lamont337 said:

Pull the interior panels to get more info on the leak. Possibly the upper inboard seam if the tanks were full. Simple temporary solution, don’t top off completely. You can also pull the long angle trim piece that closes off the gap left along the wing to fuselage junction. Maybe wing root fairing is the proper name?

The green circles used to hold springs that sat under the seat cushion. Sort of like bed springs. Not worth replacing. 

I did and I see wet in these two areas.  

Wettest is the around the fuel level sender.  Maybe I should replace that first and see if the other lower part gets dry .  Meaning there was one one leak that spilled everywhere...

IMG_3670.JPG

12 minutes ago, bavareze said:

Wettest is the around the fuel level sender.  Maybe I should replace that first and see if the other lower part gets dry .  Meaning there was one one leak that spilled everywhere...

IMG_3670.JPG

I'd also look into how much corrosion you have on that steel cage as well.  That's looking pretty....not good....

47 minutes ago, bavareze said:

IMG_3670.JPG

Good plan to start with. Replace the sending unit gaskets and clean up the fuel stains. I think I used Eox cleaner and water rinse with some small nylon brushes to clean up all of my gummy fuel residue (just don’t disturb the little blob of sealant in the aft bottom corner that protrudes from the tank into the cabin- that could create another leak). At least after that you’ll know that any leaking is not attributable to the sending units.

Mine got the fuel sender gaskets and that rubber hose connection on the fuel line changed at the same time...

Fuel has a tendency to wick in all directions...

That much fuel is a pretty obvious challenge to hunt down...

So the fuel is leaking out of the tank and into the cabin...

Probably a drip or two per day... enough to turn the carpet blue... and leave it pretty flammable...

By refreshing these rubber bits... the smell of gas will go away... clean up all the remaining blue stains...

Some people mistake the smell of gas in the cabin for  ‘old plane smell’...

There isn’t much in a Mooney that can smell like old plane... some plastics and foams...

Double check the fuel line connector... if it is bubbly, cracking, or swelling... it may be the incorrect fuel hose...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

It seems everyone overlooked item #3 on your list, so I thought I'd look it up.  It's part #912018-1 on my F model.  Pretty sure mine had the factory seal when I got it and it leaked terribly. Replaced it with the softest, thickest weather strip I could find in the aviation isle at Wal-Mart. No more leaking air and less than $5 repair. 

Edited by skydvrboy
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

It seems everyone overlooked item #3 on your list, so I thought I'd look it up.  It's part #912018-1 on my F model.  Pretty sure mine had the factory seal when I got it and it leaked terribly. Replaced it with the softest, thickest weather strip I could find in the aviation isle at Wal-Mart. No more leaking air and less than $5 repair. 

It takes the whole community to get answers to a three part question...   :)

Then somebody comes along and mentions things like the inflatable door seal...

Would you like the hand pump, or the auto electric one?

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

what did you use to glue it? I'm thinking this:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38808-Headliner-Fabric-Adhesive/dp/B004MEBENM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3m+upholstery&qid=1610249647&sr=8-1

Now talking about corrosion, I took some better pictures.  Looks legit to me, only surface dirt that I'm gonna clean.  Fuel hose hardened but not cracked or swollen.  What do you guys think?

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

The weather strip I got had a peel and stock adhesive on the back and I used that. I've used the one below on vehicle doors and figured I'd use it on the plane if the self adhesive didn't work. But,  I've had no problems. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NXZ7NW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_hNO-FbNBY3A0H

10 hours ago, bavareze said:

what did you use to glue it? I'm thinking this:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38808-Headliner-Fabric-Adhesive/dp/B004MEBENM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3m+upholstery&qid=1610249647&sr=8-1

Now talking about corrosion, I took some better pictures.  Looks legit to me, only surface dirt that I'm gonna clean.  Fuel hose hardened but not cracked or swollen.  What do you guys think?

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

Yeah, I take it back. That looks ok. 

get rid of that mud dobber nest though!

• Like 2

All I am seeing in that pic is a heavy gummy buildup of fuel, old adhesive, peeling paint and filth. If you scrub everything clean, you’ll have a better idea if there is any corrosion. The Mooney SB regarding tube frame inspection gives procedure for inspecting the tubes for corrosion. It’s a pretty simple process.

If the interconnect hose is rock hard and does not feel like rubber anymore, I would replace it.

• Like 1

IMG_3670.thumb.JPG.3491035a51abc30348c81dc315c833cd.JPG

Replace the gasket on the sender. Over the 30 years I have owned my Mooney that gasket would leak every several years and end up staining underneath in the area you are showing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1