Other Brands: Pressurized Aerostars

Seth

I know there are many variants of Aerostars and numerous upgrades. I'd like to concentrate on the pressurized versions. One of my wife's requirements for the next aircraft (way down the line, I'm keeping the Missile for a long time) is pressurization. So the 601P, 602P, 700, the Superstar upgrades (701P, 702P) and anything similar I'd like to hear experience about. The good, the bad, and your thoughts. And yes, it's cool we have the Mooney tie in to Aerostars for at least a few years.

-Seth 

Nice, fast airplane.  With almost any pressurized piston aircraft, you have to make sure it fits you.

The Aerostars are reported to be tight by many.  I cannot fit in the front of a PA46 at only 5'11".  Head has to tilt to the side even without a headset on...

The Aerostars and the P210s are aging.  I don't know if I'd want the hassle of a 40+ year old pressurized aircraft.

I used to fly a super 700 Aerostar. It was the 602 p upgraded to the super 700. It was the demo plane for the pressurization upgrade. I loved the plane ,it flew with 2 fingers and was very sensitive to ice like any there laminar flow wing.the plane had many upgrades such as 350 hp engines,extra fuel tank and new square tipped props. It feels strange in roll since you roll around the center of the fuselage since it is a mid wing aircraft and I wouldn’t like to take it out of less than a 4000 ft strip. The Aerostar is also a plane that really requires specialized training to be safe. Hope that answered a few questions but feel free to ask me more 

• Like 1

See if Mr. @johnggreen is around...

John has a similar collectors challenge, shared by Ken...  :)

I found this sentence, while searching for John’s screen name... he has an extra letter hiding in plane plain sight...

“As far as the Bravo engine running smoothly, i was noticing today coming back from VA, it really is almost turbine like.  I believe the smoothest engine I have ever run and I've owned 32 airplanes at last count.

JGREEN”

I have a friend who has owned an Aerostar (Superstar) and now flies owns a Cheyenne II. He said the operating costs are nearly identical.

The turbine mindset in the systemes of a Cheyenne though makes a difference. Let's say you are in icing and you lose a piston engine - now you don't have the power to operate the boots. However in the Cheyenne, it's not as much of an immediate issue.

There is something about the Aerostar that I gravitate toward. I've read all about them, sat in one, have read Beechtalk, but was curious if we had Mooney guys with experience.

-Seth

I read JGG's comment on beechtalk talking about the aerostar and seemed to like the bravo a lot more than the aerostar. Maybe check out a lacair IV-P, or an ES-P. There seems to be one member on here that can't stop talking about his IV-P, and it makes sense why. 300 knots at FL270 is pretty saucey. 

I used to fly a Cheyenne ll as well. The Cheyenne flies like a Piper and the Aerostar flies like a sports car.The Cheyenne ll has plenty of power but the SAS vane can be problematic if it isn’t working properly. It was installed due to nonlinear stick forces on pitch up due to the high power to weight ratio so it could cause unrecoverable stalls. TheCheyenne l with a lower power engine does not have this problem. I would still prefer (all systems operating properly) to fly the Aerostar. Just my $0.02

• Like 1

I got interested in the Aerostars for a bit when I found out that they have an STC to limit GW to 6000 lbs, which enables those of us on Basic Med to fly them.

Then I discovered that they are loooong and don't fit in a lot of hangars (mine included), and my insurance guy basically said I probably wouldn't be happy trying to insure it.

So my interest has since been diminished, sadly, as they do seem to be very cool airplanes.

I have a friend in Texas and I have rights of first refusal on his Aerostar when and if he ever chooses to sell. He's upgraded it to a superstar.

Also my AME who is 85 just had to sell his small engine Aerostar as he couldn't get insurance anymore on it (or maybe at a reasonable rate).

Thanks for everyone's comments!

-Seth

On 1/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, Seth said:

I know there are many variants of Aerostars and numerous upgrades. I'd like to concentrate on the pressurized versions. One of my wife's requirements for the next aircraft (way down the line, I'm keeping the Missile for a long time) is pressurization. So the 601P, 602P, 700, the Superstar upgrades (701P, 702P) and anything similar I'd like to hear experience about. The good, the bad, and your thoughts. And yes, it's cool we have the Mooney tie in to Aerostars for at least a few years.

-Seth 

Remember Seth, Weber aircraft in KLNS right near you is a service center for aerostar, aren't they?  They always seem to have a few aerostars in the shop.  So they must have lots good info.  Or names of owners?

E

On 1/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, aviatoreb said:

Remember Seth, Weber aircraft in KLNS right near you is a service center for aerostar, aren't they?  They always seem to have a few aerostars in the shop.  So they must have lots good info.  Or names of owners?

E

They do. And Smart Avionics at N71 Donegal Springs also does a ton of work on Aerostars. 

The plan at some point is to have a 5+ seater pressurized. LIkely that means a 6 or 8 seater - so an Aerostar or Cheyenne II could be that next airplane. If I end up with access to an more capable aircraft for when I need it (SF50, PC-12, King Air, Cheyenne) then I'd rather pay a dry lease rate, especially if I'm operating it anyway. Time will tell on that front. In the meantime, still love my Mooney!

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

They fly like a Mooney for about 10x the cost. 
They are quiet comfortable, and beautiful airplanes. 
Parts can be difficult to come by, annuals for the 600a can be as cheap as 8k and for the 700 as much as 40k. 
They are highly complex airplanes which should be maintained by people who know them. 
I’ve  flown a few and it is 1000% a pilots airplane, flys beautifully on one engine, and has very few bad characteristics.  Nose wheel steering is odd to get used to, as is the takeoff roll which is unique, but after that, pure pleasure. 
Just the one really bad one that most twins share, lose an engine during takeoff and you have a very short window to do everything correct, Aerostar more so than most. 
I absolutely love them, and have looked at probably between 50 and 75 in person and double that for logbook reviews and window shopping. 
If I could afford one, I would get a straight 601p. Hands down the best all around model. 
Not the fastest, doesn’t have the highest UL, but is a reliable workhorse, that is the easiest and cheapest to maintain of the pressurized models. 
Second choice would be the 601B. Not pressurized but turbo normalized, and high UL. 

• Like 2

+1 on the 601P. Flew one for a few years between SJC and LAX. Great handling, good comfortable airplane. The best part was I could give the controllers at LAX any speed they wanted and still make the turnoff from 25L to AirResearch. Fits right into jet traffic, slows on a dime for landing.

Hi Seth, 

I have a few hours in a few Aerostar's and was looking at buying one a few years ago too. If you're still interested talk to people that have owned one for awhile and maybe join one of the two online forums. I believe John G. found that the Aerostar didn't fit his needs properly but ask him directly on Beechtalk. I think the best person to talk to would be Forrest Ward (who's on both forums and Beechtalk). He's owned and flown Areostars a lot. Secondly Jim Christy is the big guru on Aerostars and I don't think they have any issues with parts supplies. Pus they have lots of STC's improving them. You can phone him directly and get real advice 

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Dawson said:

Hi Seth, 

I have a few hours in a few Aerostar's and was looking at buying one a few years ago too. If you're still interested talk to people that have owned one for awhile and maybe join one of the two online forums. I believe John G. found that the Aerostar didn't fit his needs properly but ask him directly on Beechtalk. I think the best person to talk to would be Forrest Ward (who's on both forums and Beechtalk). He's owned and flown Areostars a lot. Secondly Jim Christy is the big guru on Aerostars and I don't think they have any issues with parts supplies. Pus they have lots of STC's improving them. You can phone him directly and get real advice 

Thanks Steve!

5 hours ago, Seth said:

Thanks Steve!

If you’re went to call and discuss what to look for and avoid I’m happy to share what I’ve learned as well.  It’s a very steep learning curve...

jimmy mullens, Joel stout, and Ken bacon are the guys who have probably seen and or worked on nearly every single one in the fleet.
Jim christy is the top of the heap for sure, but those guys are way out on scheduling and pretty expensive. 
I don’t mean that pejoratively either, when they work on your plane it adds to the pedigree, but it comes with a deserved premium. 
And the parts I am referring to are sometimes oddball parts like AC, or alternators, but can be critical airworthy parts that you have to find salvage or wait until a production run.  In other words...$$$$

last little peccadilloe, is the autopilot. 
the only digital autopilot certified is the king 225 and its 60k. 
they are supposedly on the list for stec 3100 and the gfc600 but no timeline for that..