430 WAAS

Perluc99

somebody could give me a suggestion

i need to upgrade as my Piper 32 Lance 1989 has a very old Avionic 

I need to get a new radio 8.33 nav com to comunicate with autopilot Kink 200 .I m considering 430WAAS that I used for many years but somebody say that has no longer subscription! G5 ?   Thanks 

Additionally, the GNS430W is still supported. You can get NAVDATA subscription from Garmin or jepp.  They are fine, but I probably wouldn’t pay to have one installed as they may not be supported for much longer.  Better off with a gnc355 as Skate mentioned.  Or GTN650 but that’s more $$.

• Like 1

Subscriptions for IFR databases are available via both Jeppesen and Garmin.  Garmin is cheaper at $300/year for the US database.  I've not heard of any impending plans to cancel IFR databases by Garmin, and it's hard to imagine Jeppesen would drop support even if Garmin does.

The Navdata card for the 430W has changed over the years. It started out as a "white label" card and currently is an "orange label" card. I believe there was at least one other card type/label color in between. The newer card is newer technology but still works in the same 430's. The older white label card is no longer supported in the sense that you cannot buy a new one. If you need a replacement card you need to step up to the newer cards, and that means a new Skybound adapter as well. Not cheap, but definitely works cause that is what I have had to do. Perhaps that was what you heard when someone said "not supported." The 430W itself is supported, although there is a high, flat bench charge if it has to go in to Garmin.

2 hours ago, jlunseth said:

The Navdata card for the 430W has changed over the years. It started out as a "white label" card and currently is an "orange label" card. I believe there was at least one other card type/label color in between. The newer card is newer technology but still works in the same 430's. The older white label card is no longer supported in the sense that you cannot buy a new one. If you need a replacement card you need to step up to the newer cards, and that means a new Skybound adapter as well. Not cheap, but definitely works cause that is what I have had to do. Perhaps that was what you heard when someone said "not supported." The 430W itself is supported, although there is a high, flat bench charge if it has to go in to Garmin.

Yes, the navdata will likely be supported for a good long time, but it’s unknown how long Garmin will support the (already expensive) flat rate repair if your 430w fails in any way.  Additionally, there are no more waas upgrades.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 10:06 AM, Perluc99 said:

somebody could give me a suggestion

i need to upgrade as my Piper 32 Lance 1989 has a very old Avionic 

I need to get a new radio 8.33 nav com to comunicate with autopilot Kink 200 .I m considering 430WAAS that I used for many years but somebody say that has no longer subscription! G5 ?   Thanks 

Consider purchasing pre-flown nav coms to support your old bird...

MS has a purveyor of some such devices...

See @Alan Fox

I have no idea what a Kink 200 is...  hard to give advice on that...

Ever consider changing planes? :)

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, Perluc99 said:

What about a 530 GNT ?

A GNS530 will have the same support as a 430W.  Navdata supported, but unknown how long Garmin will support them with parts/maintenance.

They are good units.  They work well.  They can do almost anything the newer ones can.

The problem is the installation cost for a 430 or 530 is similar to a Garmin GTN 650 or 750.  Yes, purchase price was less for the 20 year old 430/530 technology, but you paid a lot either way, and then you’re left with old technology at the end of its supported life.

If you currently had a 430 and it died, slapping in another 430 probably makes sense because there’s no install cost.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

The problem is the installation cost for a 430 or 530 is similar to a Garmin GTN 650 or 750.  Yes, purchase price was less for the 20 year old 430/530 technology, but you paid a lot either way, and then you’re left with old technology at the end of its supported life.

I agree.  For @Perluc99, I highly suggest putting your money toward a 650Xi and getting something that you know will be supported for a long time.

• Like 1

Really important detail being covered here...

1) The 430W and 530W have basically the same, current modern top level, WAAS based nav skills, and VOR and ILS included...

2) They are just old and slow boxes, with aged user interfaces...

3) The GTNs have replaced the 430/530 series... with much more modern computing power...

4) If you had a 430/530, people looking for a low cost upgrade put a new box from a different manufacturer...and slid it into the exact sleeve from the 430/530...

5) exposing that there are two costs that need to be considered... Today...

• The basic hardware cost
  • The install cost

6) Compare to the other guy...  Avidyne.

7) When buying used... make sure you know all of the details regarding hardware updates, revisions, and changes of firmware...

8) It would be easier to buy a Mooney with the GPS already in the panel...

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guy...

We have avionics guys around here... if buying some new hardware...

Best regards,

-a-

I still keep my databases updated on my 430W and it is still supported.

That said, if I were installing a navigator from scratch, I think it would be better to add a little money and put in a 650 or maybe an Avidyne.  That way you wouldn’t have to worry about when the point will come where it is indeed no longer supported.

• Like 2