Approved parts

rotorman

43 minutes ago, PT20J said:

If the part number matches what’s in the IPC, you don’t need any paperwork.

^^This.   If the IPC specifies the part, that's the authorization to use that part in the airplane.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

^^This.   If the IPC specifies the part, that's the authorization to use that part in the airplane.

The IPC shows V3L-3. There is only one site I could find with this part that has 3 cap screw connections. It sells for $85.  It is a V3L-2282 although the website says it is also a V3L-3. 

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/V3L-3?qs=JT4vHv%2B%2Bx3RbPn2gKwjHYg%3D%3D

V3L-3.PNG.a616fcd74795116f876feb66d35c88aa.PNG

My part number is SS12ET10-102L3. This switch is similar but with no FAA-PMA. Also, the above switch looks to be in two parts and possibly disassemblable. The switch I received is one piece. The logo on my switch is the same logo as above,  ЯU. On the other side it says Mexico and C-H.

I can find my part number online all over the place and it sells for about $16. No mention however of FAA-PMA. 

https://www.newark.com/eaton/ss12et10-102l3/s-a-swt-high-cap-screw/dp/94C6748

This is a website showing that Mooney is the manufacturer of this part number but no photo of the part.

https://www.simplifiedpurchasing.com/partno-search?searchby=partno&searchkey=SS12ET10-102L3

The quality of the part is what started me wondering. Maybe I'm just being picky.

The UR symbol means that the part is an Underwriter's Laboratories recognized component. It's a useful designation if you are using it in a product that is going to become UL Listed. It's not relevant here.

I note that LASAR sells the switch part number you bought from Newark for the same application: https://lasar.com/switches/limit-switch-multi-application-ss12et10-102l3. If you are worried about it, I'd call them to discuss it. They might have information from Mooney showing it as an acceptable substitute.

Skip

1 hour ago, rotorman said:

The IPC shows V3L-3. There is only one site I could find with this part that has 3 cap screw connections. It sells for $85.  It is a V3L-2282 although the website says it is also a V3L-3. 

In addition to the V3L-3 (and all the modern crossovers, like the part numbers you're finding), the IPC for the M20J also lists the same switch as a two-piece assembly of V3-1, V3-3 switches and a separate JV-5 lever.   The V3L-3 has the lever already built-in.   The switches and levers are sometimes easier to find separately and less expensively.  They're essentially standard parts.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 8:06 PM, rotorman said:

I recently acquired a limit switch for my flaps from a reputable aviation parts supplier. There is nothing on the switch or the paperwork that came with it to show that it is an FAA approved part. Shouldn't that information be included? 

if you bought it from the most common supplier around MS... ask Dan directly...

There will be some logic behind the part numbers and what they are OK to use for, and why...

Most of the relay switches and limit switches and CB switches we have are straight out of a catalog somewhere...

The packaging may reference a Mooney part number... so Mooney has a list somewhere of what the manufacturer’s part number is to go with the Mooney pn...

PP thoughts only, not a manufacturing engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

The link I just posted is for the solder terminal version.

The screw terminal version is V3-1.   I bought that switch on e-bay for $5.70.  Same part No. as the damaged one I removed. 

Here is a couple of links for that part number:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICRO-SWITCH-P-N-V3-1-NS-COND-13259-5/293660124362?hash=item445f81e4ca:g:0nwAAOSwu5BfGefx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piper-487-925-Switch-V3-1/324407862726?hash=item4b883725c6:g:0b4AAOSwJgxeYQ4m

John Breda

It was my assumption that all parts installed on certified aircraft have to be FAA approved. If not where is the cut off?  All nuts, bolts and washer can be standard parts. Does that hold for all switches, some switches, or no switches.  The bottom line is if a person wants to know if a part is approved it is very difficult to ascertain If no paperwork is included. Buying from a reputable supplier is clearly the best way to protect one's self. But asking him if the part is approved is not positive proof.  Bogus parts are all over in the aircraft industry.  

In the examples above. What is the difference between a V31-1NS vs V3-19? One has screws and one doesn't? Approved or not Approved?  I would go for the $36 Lasar switch.

8 hours ago, rotorman said:

It was my assumption that all parts installed on certified aircraft have to be FAA approved. If not where is the cut off?  All nuts, bolts and washer can be standard parts. Does that hold for all switches, some switches, or no switches.  The bottom line is if a person wants to know if a part is approved it is very difficult to ascertain If no paperwork is included. Buying from a reputable supplier is clearly the best way to protect one's self. But asking him if the part is approved is not positive proof.  Bogus parts are all over in the aircraft industry.  

In the examples above. What is the difference between a V31-1NS vs V3-19? One has screws and one doesn't? Approved or not Approved?  I would go for the $36 Lasar switch.

FWIW, I frequently get no traceability paperwork for things bought for the airplane, including standard parts, new parts, etc., etc.  You can put used parts on the airplane with no traceability documentation if they're determined to be airworthy by an authorized installer (e.g., A&P or IA).  

Really the determining opinion that matters most is your IA's.   That's the signature going in the logbook for the annual, so if he's fine with it, it's good.

Your concern is well-placed and is well-advised, but there are obvious practical limits and many areas of exceptions, some of which are controversial (e.g., landing lights, any light bulbs, wiring, wire terminators, etc., etc.).  Then there are things like boots, interior pieces, etc., etc.  This is why it's just easier to ask the one person who matters most for your case, your IA.  ;)

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 3