Mooney Acclaim Ultra 28 V battery tender / minder

Assuming you also have Concorde batteries:

https://www.batteryminders.com/batteryminder-model-244cec1-aa-s5-24v-4-amp-concorde-aviation-battery-charger-maintainer-desulfator/

I use 1 with the Y adapter, but I've always heard 2 would be better.  Mine is wired such that the ports are in the hatrack, but read somewhere that they stopped doing that.  Apparently the battery needs ventilation when it's desulfating?  I've never had any issues though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Modoc Mooney said:

New to The MOONEY Aircraft , Please educate me on What to use for Battery Tender/Minder for Mooney Acclaim Ultra 28V Systems ??

What Brand of Unit ?  Where to Purchase  ??  Location of Accessory Plug ?? 

THANKS FOR INFO..

I’ll also assume you have Concordes installed.  Unless your Acclaim is tied down outside in weather, flying the airplane at least once weekly for an hour and alternating your batteries per the checklist are the best ways to maintain them...to the point where a battery minder isn’t necessary.  You will, however, find exceptions to the rule on here (those who have used a battery minder and gotten longer than the normal life out of one or both of their batteries).  I just changed out my second battery a couple months ago after 8+ years of service and never used a battery minder.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Modoc!

+1 for the track record of Concordes...

+1 for the skills of the BatteryMinder...

+1 for probably not using it much...

Other things you will find out...

• Get the 24V version, specific to Concorde sealed batteries...
  • The right version comes with airplane specific tefzel (?) wires...
  • There is a Y connector if you want to connect both batteries at the same time...
  • There is also some additional hardware like a socket to make plugging in simple...
  • The socket can be mounted on the back wall of the baggage area...
  • External connections are often made near the O2 port or the ground power door...

Where to get it... ?  It’s been so long, I don’t recall... the manufacturer didn’t sell it retail...  and all the retail places don’t even know about all the wires and options...

So... I talked to the BatteryMinder people to get all the details of what I wanted to have, and where to buy it from...

Its been heaven ever since...

Throw in a Gill battery barb just for sport...  :) (replaced one Gill each year for more than a decade...)

Post a pic of your bird, when able!

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I have concords as well. One got 7 years of service. The other 8. I have the battery minder. I installed to quick connect plugs through the oxygen door. I clip them through the chain that holds the cap for O2. That way they don’t fall back inside the tail compartment. I just hook up one battery at a time. I had the Y connector but I found that the battery sensing system can’t tell you about battery health if both connected. I put red tape around one plug and green on the other to identify port and starboard battery. I alternate charging. I alternate battery on flights. I mostly use the battery minder during the winter. 

• Like 2