Door pop open on take off?...

Stryk77

7 hours ago, Seymour said:

Wow, I was totally bass-akwards.     Although it explains why the physics didn't make sense, it's more concerning that I have my right and left swapped!    !:o!

It all started about a month ago when the pilot side tire was changed out due to wear and the AP listed "RH main tire replaced" in the log book and on the receipt.    (I guess if you're facing the prop....     Can I blame him for my screw up? )

I don’t believe that’s correct. Left is left in relation to controls. 
tanks are labels this way too. Why would it be a left tank and a right tire?

This can be avoided most times. On my checklist is to check the latch points by pushing somewhat hard on the door at the two latch points after closing and latching the door.  It will tell you if the pins aren’t fully engaged.  

After having my top latch pop open on my Cherokee 180 after trusting a passenger to pull while engaging the latch, I decided it’s my job to both latch and check the door. 

3 hours ago, Schllc said:

Or they could just refer to them like in the auto industry. Not as right and left but rather, driver side, passenger side. No confusion. :D

My door came open when I bought the plane and we departed SDL for the flight back to FCM. We were able to close it, but it popped open again. It was cold at 12k going over Raton. Easy adjustment for the mechanic when we got the plane home.

I let other people close the cabin door, but I always check it, it is on my checklist. Not that important, it is just inconvenient if it opens. No one is going to fall out. Lost a map out the door once though, loose stuff gets sucked out fast.

Baggage door is another matter. I am always the past one to touch the door and I lock it for flight. Had a friend who died that way years go. It was a twin. Baggage door in the nacelle opened. Someone else had closed it. Didn’t make it back to the airport...

One time my wife had closed her leather coat belt/strap in the door. We hit some turbulence and the belt pulled out far enough to start slapping the side of the fuselage. Sounded like a real emergency. We did not want to land 30 minutes into a 3 hour flight and over Colorado mountains. Opened door and pulled in leather strap. Closed door as listed above. Easy for passenger to close door while cross controlled. Would not bother to close if it were to come open solo.

opening the door prior to an emergency landing is a good idea, door trails safely with no adverse affect. Would hate to be stuck in after surviving the landing.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, Schllc said:

We agree.  Clearly, left is left in relation to the controls.   The mechanic made a mistake in the logbook and corrected it once I brought it to his attention.   

Earlier in this thread, I was mistaken about which side of the fuselage would be leeward in a right slip.  Thanks to @carusoamand @EricJ for quickly correcting me.   As a feeble attempt at humor,  I asked if I could blame the mechanic's earlier LH/ RH mistake for mine in this thread.   I promise not to attempt humor again.   :mellow:    

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Seymour said:

We agree.  Clearly, left is left in relation to the controls.   The mechanic made a mistake in the logbook and corrected it once I brought it to his attention.   

Earlier in this thread, I was mistaken about which side of the fuselage would be leeward in a right slip.  Thanks to @carusoamand @EricJ for quickly correcting me.   As a feeble attempt at humor,  I asked if I could blame the mechanic's earlier LH/ RH mistake for mine in this thread.   I promise not to attempt humor again.   :mellow:    

humor is a tough one around here...

The audience is so varied...

Its hard to be funny... when the audience is thinking... “how do I tell him he doesn’t know...”. :)

Once you get a few posts in... everyone gets to know you a bit better...

And the liberal use of these things...   :):):) can really help a reader out...

PP thoughts only, not a thought leader...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1