Knots Landing

EchoMax

I think there was a big jet that unhinged the hangar and the planes in it.

What ever that is in the first video is way more time and less adjustable than a bowline.  Which I can tie in a flip of a wrist or behind my back.    If you need more security with a bowline then pop a half hitch.  The advantage of the bowline is that it does not reduce the strength of the line like other knots and can be fully loaded up and can still be released (sometimes with a marlin spike :-) )

I was showing a first time sailor that crewed with me how to one hand tie off on a cleat. Properly done it's neat and symetical.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Planegary said:

somebody must have tied the tail too tight :-)!  Actually I work for these guys and that plane caused a change in fueling policies to keep that from happening again

Were they able to lower the nose gently, or did the extra weight slide off before anyone could do anything about it?

I remember when it happened, but don’t recall any ill affect...

Thanks for sharing the solution... that is interesting..

Mooney MLG is so far back,  it would be really hard to lift the nose by adding snow...

Best regards,

Here are two videos that demonstrate my preferred tiedown knot:

I’m not sure what the name of this knot is.  I couldn’t find it in my copy of “The Ashley Book of Knots”, but it is a variant of the bowline knot.  The method of tying while tensioning is as important as the knot itself.  The West Valley Flying Club in Palo Alto calls its version "The West Valley Knot", so I guess it was invented in California.

Most of the so-called “aircraft tiedown knots” I've seen are actually insecure “slip knots” and should be avoided.  It’s also important to position the wing tiedown rings even with or slightly behind the ground anchors.

Edited by EchoMax
content
  • Like 1

I have a friend that once worked at the United maintenance depot in San Francisco and told me this story. Many years ago, a crew was working inside the aft end of a 727. Another crew completely defueled the aircraft for some other purpose without installing the tail stand and the airplane tipped over onto the tail skid. The crew inside got down on their hands and knees and slowly crept forward until the airplane just went over back onto the nose wheel. Then they moved forward while the other crew inserted the tail stand.

Skip

Pan Am flight 845, where they dumped fuel from the main tanks instead of the outboard tanks to get to landing weight after a botched takeoff where they struck the approach lights on the departure end of the runway.   When it finally stopped it sat on its tail because of the weight from the outboard fuel.   Several people were seriously injured deplaning from the forward slides.   It wound up being a study of how not to do things in many areas.

Pin on Hangar - Boeing 747

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 3

While we are at it, just make sure it's timmed forward with it's nose well attached before inviting Ben !

No guarantee that legal WnB data as per the AFM should work under 0kts aerodynamic forces :lol:

Edited by Ibra

On 1/14/2021 at 9:24 AM, Ibra said:

While we are at it, just make sure it's timmed forward with it's nose well attached before inviting Ben !

No guarantee that legal WnB data as per the AFM should work under 0kts aerodynamic forces :lol:

See, other than the odd Boeing, this really seems to be a Cessna thing...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The other planes are in hangars? :D

Yeah - and you would think at least the jets could afford a hangar.

But no - case in point - at our airport, which believe me is a very snowy airport, there is a forlorn Cessna Citation (gen 1) that lives outside, with piles of snow on it.