Propeller for M20C

Just overhauled mine at American Propeller in Redding just a few days ago.  3 Blade is very smooth.  They used this new grease which I looked on line to try to get and couldn't find any for sale.  It's NYCO GN3058 white in color.  It looks like a new kind of grease.  

Mooney prop.jpg

Mooney prop grease.jpg

• Like 2

I got a field approval through their Rep in Florida. Field approval was extremely easy and fast.

No RPM restrictions.

My M20C had already the J mod.

I got it for about 15k.

I have flown it now for about 17 hours. I really like it. I can’t really say that the changes are revolutionary, but it seems to me quieter and climb performance has improved. Cruise is similar May be a bit faster.

You just have to get used to not having so much momentum in the nose. In particular when you start the engine it starts much “faster” and when you stop it the prop stops right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Huh!
That is great news...

Somebody lamented just the other day that the MT wasn’t available for the C....

Guess they just didn’t know how to get there...

Now to find that thread... :)

Thanks for sharing the details Oscar!

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Yes, I just called Larry Schlasinger, their rep for the US one day to ask about the status and he told me that I could get the prop with a field approval. I thought forget about it! But then he told me: no, it is not a big deal... we can get it for you. Also he was there all the time to respond to my silly questions and helped me through the process.

BTW: vibration is also lower.

Just found another picture

5e958b1a5ca9a93c497750232498c4bf.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Yes, I just called Larry Schlasinger, their rep for the US one day to ask about the status and he told me that I could get the prop with a field approval. I thought forget about it! But then he told me: no, it is not a big deal... we can get it for you. Also he was there all the time to respond to my silly questions and helped me through the process.

That awesome, looks great. I wonder if they used the same prop that is used on a J and just did the paper work to bolt it on to a C. What did it cost all said and done?

10 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I got a field approval through their Rep in Florida. Field approval was extremely easy and fast.

No RPM restrictions.

My M20C had already the J mod.

I got it for about 15k.

I have flown it now for about 17 hours. I really like it. I can’t really say that the changes are revolutionary, but it seems to me quieter and climb performance has improved. Cruise is similar May be a bit faster.

You just have to get used to not having so much momentum in the nose. In particular when you start the engine it starts much “faster” and when you stop it the prop stops right away.

You know it is doing something good when it eliminates all RPM/MP restrictions.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:38 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

No they don’t have one, but it is easy to get a field approval through their representation in Florida. As I mentioned above, I just got one.

Thanks for sharing this, Oscar!  I've got the 3 blade Hartzell balanced to .07 and then to .02 IPS with PowerFlow and ElectroAir but it just never feels smooth.  I just completed the J window mod and have a few hours on it, although without an OAT it's hard to guess the true airspeed.  AV-30C is going in this week and that will help with my guestimates, and it's grounded with the left mag now backfiring....

Preliminary numbers are 1500 fpm take off climb at 90mph at -1000 ft DA and lightweight, 180mph at 5500 ft DA through the Cascades a few evenings ago.  Home airport is 17 ft elevation... eager to get up high and see what the gph can get down to.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:28 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

How did the cowling mod and prop affect your engine cooling?

Hi,

Please, what is technically need  (to buy) for moving the Battery to behind the rear seat?  How much does it (approximately)  cost?

My is 1977 M20C model, replaced the original old 2 bladed Hartzell HC-C2YK-1BF/F7666A-2 with 3 Bladed Hartzell (HC-C3YR-1RF/F7282), now dynamically balanced.

I am happy with it, comparison would not be fair, because engine was overhauled too. 

Surprise for me was a new Noise Certificate (Thread +Foto) with 85,5 dBA, while in the old one there was 75 dBA (needed here in Europe).  As explained to me  from Hartzell, this is due to  change of the measurement methodology.

W&Bs  is way fwd so I'm considering in addition to replacing the battery, also moving it back at the next annual (to behind the rear seat).

What I need to order for that change? Cost?

thanks,

lg,m.

AAAAAEROPLANE.jpg

This afternoon I found the invoice, work orders, part numbers, and time sheets for moving the battery aft, relocating the oil cooler to the firewall, installing cowl flaps and installing a second LED light in the cowling hole vacated by the oil cooler.  There is about 50 part numbers, don't know if any one is related to the battery or oil cooler or light or cowl flaps.  All work was done at Mod Works and at least the battery and oil cooler referenced an STC.  Mod works were experienced doing these mods and still listed 22 hours for moving the oil cooler, 25 hours for the battery.  Or there about.  The invoice is about 30 years old so prices and cost of labor don't mean anything.  I did see 18' of M22579-16/2 wire.  That goes for about $150 per foot.  Since Mod Works is gone, you would be face with getting approval for such a modification on your own.  What would be more of a challenge:  Collecting the appropriate parts, paying for someone to figure out how to make it all work or getting it legally signed off?

Not sure all the parts on the invoice match the work orders and parts orders.  If you really want a couple pictures of the invoice, let me know.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, brndiar said:
14 hours ago, brndiar said:

Hi,

Please, what is technically need  (to buy) for moving the Battery to behind the rear seat?  How much does it (approximately)  cost?

My is 1977 M20C model, replaced the original old 2 bladed Hartzell HC-C2YK-1BF/F7666A-2 with 3 Bladed Hartzell (HC-C3YR-1RF/F7282), now dynamically balanced.

I am happy with it, comparison would not be fair, because engine was overhauled too. 

Surprise for me was a new Noise Certificate (Thread +Foto) with 85,5 dBA, while in the old one there was 75 dBA (needed here in Europe).  As explained to me  from Hartzell, this is due to  change of the measurement methodology.

W&Bs  is way fwd so I'm considering in addition to replacing the battery, also moving it back at the next annual (to behind the rear seat).

What I need to order for that change? Cost?

thanks,

lg,m.

AAAAAEROPLANE.jpg

Since later mooneys had the battery located behind the baggage compartment a field approval is easy.  

Mark

For most cost effective parts collection...

Consider the pre-flown variety...

They are original Mooney parts, so removing them from one Mooney to be installed in the next should be easy for your mechanic...

See what @Alan Foxhas on the shelf for that... then @Jerry Pressley... then @SheryLoewen

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 9:47 PM, Don Heene said:

Just overhauled mine at American Propeller in Redding just a few days ago.  3 Blade is very smooth.  They used this new grease which I looked on line to try to get and couldn't find any for sale.  It's NYCO GN3058 white in color.  It looks like a new kind of grease.  

Mooney prop.jpg

Mooney prop grease.jpg

Your Propshop may Carry the NYCO grease.

If not, Give my shop a call Haley will get some headed your way.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, Buckeyechuck said:

My prop OH used that grease. Tiffin Aire sent a tube of the grease with the prop. I keep it in the fridge in my hanger so it won’t go bad when it gets hot in the summer. 

If the grease is used in the prop section that is subjected to hot summers and heat from the engine i would think it safe to sit on a self in the same heat no?