G5 installation in EU

edmg_lal

Hi. I've placed an order for 2 G5s plus the other equipment (GAD13/GTP59/GAD29B/GMU11) end of last year. Unfortunately there seem to be delays at the moment. The order was originally supposed to arrive in Dec 20, but is now scheduled for Feb 21.

Anyway, I got quotes from three avionic shops in Germany for the install. They range between 9300 and 13000 € including tax. They range from 35h to over 50h. However, I do not beliefe that the cheap one does cover everything. I've have now ordered the items myself from AirTeam (they have the most competitive prices in EU) and will install them together with a shop. I've therefore already ordered miscellaneous stuff like wires, breakers, terminals, new pitot/static hoses and connections, aluminium for a new panel and brackets, ... It adds up. I'm at 700€ for additional parts on top of the Garmin products and will need a few things more (that's why I'm questioning the 9300 quote). However, some of that is for tools I need (e.g. power supply for testing, crimping tools, wire cutters, etc. for the harness manufacturing).

My Excel sheet says I'm at 5750€ incl. tax at the moment, not counting my own labor of course. I attached a pic of my current wirk status with the wiring prefabricated. Waiting for the delivery of the Garmin stuff to continue.

harness.jpeg.e4b20b056090873ae1e4b4cfc9c8d348.jpeg

• Like 1

I assume that quote includes the two G5s ? The HSI is indeed more work than AI only. 

A single G5 as AI is a much easier install and shouldn’t be too much work, probably half the labour of the hsi installation? I don’t have the breakdown of what it cost to install mine, but I kept my old mechanical HSI for that reason, as my budget didn’t stretch to two G5s, although there are significant advantages of having both.

I recall Bounemouth Avionics quotes for 2*G5 was 6000£ incl VAT at time when GBP = 1.5 USD...
No idea what prices are now or if they can do it now but I would say probably about 9500Euros?

As above, single G5 without HSI or AP interface should be way more cheaper

Edited by Ibra

• 1 month later...

Our plane would go for yearly maintenance soon and I am planning to ask them for a formal quote. Maybe I could ask two separate ones: single unit vs two units installation. the last time those guys gave us a approximate figure but I believe that was not for the STCed versions.  

• 4 months later...

I've completed the install in May. The grand total for all hardware was about 6.5k€ including the new panel. Labor was provided all by myself (including CAD of the panel etc). With everything prepared in advance (like harness, panel cut, ...) it took me 7 days with 12h of average work per day to do it including all necessary calibration and testing. Riveting a bracket for the magnetometer into the wing was a bit of a pain. Everything else was ok.

The aircraft lost about 5kg net in vacuum system stuff, old instruments and the vacuum retractable step. 

I'm totally satisfied with the result.

IMG_9097.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did the installation of 2G5, with magnetometer and OAT in the wing the cost is about 7000 for the equipments but unless you provide almost all the cabling and so on to the
installer it's going to take at least 3/4 working days considering also the required paper work.

Furthermore it depends on AP iterfaces Navigator interfaces and so on.

Write me in private if you wish I can give you the details.

Ciao

Andrea

Something wrong here... i can feel it. 

Non - standard six pack ..
Maybe due to its registration..
I drove different French made cars and the controls next to the steering wheel for lights, turn indicators, windshield wipe, .. were always somewhat mixed up - in a very individual and creative fashion though

Best,
Matthias

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, MatthiasArnold said:

I drove different French made cars and the controls next to the steering wheel for lights, turn indicators, windshield wipe, .. were always somewhat mixed up - in a very individual and creative fashion though emoji28.png

Best,
Matthias

Its bugging me a lot more than it should, ha. 

On 10/4/2021 at 9:45 PM, MatthiasArnold said:

I drove different French made cars and the controls next to the steering wheel for lights, turn indicators, windshield wipe, .. were always somewhat mixed up - in a very individual and creative fashion though emoji28.png

Best,
Matthias

The S-TEC TC is too long to fit in the lower left position due to a tube running across behind the panel. Therefore I mirrored the entire layout left to right. I really don't care, as I now only look at the G5s inflight. No need to make any of the classical scan patterns.