looking for one-piece windshield upgrade experiences

I'm preparing for my annual in February and I'll be replacing my windshield.  Cracks...

Currently I have a standard 2 piece windshield in my 66E and I'm not sure if I should stick with a 2 piece windshield or replace it with a one-piece.  (not the 201) 

I'm opting for the solar control green so it matches the rest of my windows.  The price of the 2 piece and one-piece windshield is basically the same.  

So I have a few questions:

1) Thickness... Regardless of a 2P or a 1P windshield, is the .250 thickness any more difficult to install?  Am I going to need to modify anything to "upgrade" and install the .250 thickness?  My wife and I use ANR headsets and these mooneys are just loud anyway so I'm not super concerned about the noise reduction which is much debated anyway.  I'd rather keep the .187 windshield and have an easier install than spend a week installing a thicker windshield.

2) Temperature probe...  I really would not want to install that unicorn temp probe through a new windshield.  I have a 330ES transponder and I could buy and install a $100ish OAT probe.  This would give me OAT and a convenient density alt.  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/665probe.php  Any thoughts?

3) Windshield Source...  Knots 2 U or LP Aero.  I have no experience with these vendors.  It looks like LP Aero is a bit cheaper.  

4) Compass mount...  It looks like I can buy a better compass mount for $50-$60 from spruce regardless of a 2P or 1P windshield.  No need to replace the compass.  Just need a new mount.  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/pacmovmn.php

Any experience would help me make an informed decision.

1139565764_IMG_20200628_155725(1).thumb.jpg.27a6e008fb589e5c98ef2e8848ff572a.jpg

Edited by flyingchump

In my A model I  upgraded to the one piece .25" LP Aero UV guard shield.  It is not an easy job, but I think worth the up-grade.   Sealant choice is critical.  You have to shape the edges along the bottom to fit in the original channel designed for a thinner piece of plastic.  I used a pneumatic rotary file fitted with a sanding drum.

new glass 1.jpg

P1012215.JPG

We did a one-piece windshield conversion on our '66E in preparation for a paint job, and it really changes the look of the airplane.  We really, really like it.  Although we have some really talented and capable partners that aren't afraid to roll up their sleeves and do the big jobs, we balked at the windshield installation.  We went with the .25" and just took it straight to our nearby Mooney service center.   I agree with you about the thickness--if you're doing the work yourself, I wouldn't go with the thicker panel unless you're real confident you can grind it as necessary.  We opted for the gray color thinking it looks better with more color schemes than the green.

In terms of the OAT probe--- we also felt the same way, would've been a crime to drill a hole in that beautiful new windshield.  We used the same probe you are thinking about, works fine.   After reading here and getting others' advice, we ended up putting ours on the underside of the wing.   There's a school of thought that holds it's more accurate that way, but there are folks here who seem happy with theirs positioned in the air intake on the side of the forward fuselage.

Lastly, a word to the wise-- the OAT probe requires a gage, right?  So as we sat and talked about what to get, someone had the great idea of replacing our old attitude indicator with one of the new electronic gages that can display multiple inputs (temp, DA, etc).   By the time we were done that morphed into a complete panel upgrade, just finished it, 15.5 AMUs later.  The moral of the story is that digital OAT probes are like gateway drugs!  And it all began so innocently...

Edited by Aviationinfo
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 9:24 PM, mike20papa said:

In my A model I  upgraded to the one piece .25" LP Aero UV guard shield.  It is not an easy job, but I think worth the up-grade.   Sealant choice is critical.  You have to shape the edges along the bottom to fit in the original channel designed for a thinner piece of plastic.  I used a pneumatic rotary file fitted with a sanding drum.

Thanks for the info and pics. 

Did you notice any difference in sound?

If the sealant is critical what sealant did you use and would you recommend it?

1)Originally two piece windshields were required, because thermoforming such a large piece took another decade of experience...

2) Go with the one piece to eliminate the blind line...

3) Somebody is selling an electronic OAT instrument, today...

4) color is up to the PIC... The windshield is the hard part... the side windows are much easier... match them later...  solar gray is pretty good at absorbing UV heat energy...

5) Knots 2U probably doesn’t make a windshield... middle man?

6) LP makes windshields...

7) 1/4” is better... weighs more... takes a lot of additional effort to install... there are pics around here somewhere... probably done by Byron...

8) Speed slope is a great idea... but that requires a whole lot of extra work...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

1.) My plane has the thicker windows. Its noticeable quieter than other Mooneys I've ridden in, but I've also got a 3-blade. Not sure if they're both doing something or one over another, but thats that. It also squeaks when I taxi because the thick windows are rubbing against the frame more. After an ANR headset, not sure its worth it.

2.) Officially, a temp probe needs to be out of sunlight and out of the prop wash. Some manufacturers recommend drilling a small hole in an inspection cover on the bottom of the left wing (again out of the prop wash) and fish the wire through.

4.) Get the proper mount. It looks cleaner and technically if you don't have their mount, it invalidates the warranty on the compass.

I put the .250” in the front and pilot/ passenger windows, then the .187” in the rear ones in my F. Few things of note:

1- you’ll need longer screws than the current ones for the thicker windows. 
2- the forming to the hull aluminum takes a little massaging as it is a different outside radius. 
3- give yourself lots of time to clean, seal and have your book of swear words ready to use them all. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:38 AM, flyingchump said:

Thanks for the info and pics. 

Did you notice any difference in sound?

If the sealant is critical what sealant did you use and would you recommend it?

I didn't notice any noise reduction, but I wasn't expecting it.

I first used this black sealant https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/windowsealant.php    I DO NOT recommend this material!  Very difficult and awful to use - I actually installed the window with it first, such disgusting material, I removed the windshield and spent hours (plus) removing this stuff.   I used a non hardening white butyl rubber (sheet metal, typically) comes in a caulk gun tube.  It has performed well.  I wanted a flexible sealant to possibly help prevent thermal (and it's considerable) movement cracks.  I also dimpled the roof screws, counter sunk the plastic and used countersunk screws - worth the effort.  The UV guard really helps with solar heat gain.  Joe

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:23 PM, Raptor05121 said:

4.) Get the proper mount. It looks cleaner and technically if you don't have their mount, it invalidates the warranty on the compass.

Any idea what the proper mount is?  I've looked around but can't find a mount that would attach to the tube.  I have the Precision PAI-700 Compass.

Is this the right mount? 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/pacmovmn.php

This looks like the mount that will attach to the center section of the 2 piece windshield that I already have.  Will this also mount to the center post once the 1 piece windshield is installed?

• flyingchump changed the title to looking for one-piece windshield upgrade experiences
On 1/11/2021 at 8:36 PM, flyingchump said:

Any idea what the proper mount is?  I've looked around but can't find a mount that would attach to the tube.  I have the Precision PAI-700 Compass.

Is this the right mount? 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/pacmovmn.php

This looks like the mount that will attach to the center section of the 2 piece windshield that I already have.  Will this also mount to the center post once the 1 piece windshield is installed?

That's the one that I have but for some reason my center post (I have two-piece windshield) wouldn't allow the little 'wings' to fit around the center post so I dremeled them off and triple-rivet'ed the center piece onto the post