Temps for Portable Electronics

Seth

This is a spinoff thread from the pre-heat discussion - I didn't want to hijack the threat.

I have two ANR headsets and now an Aera with an AirGizmo dock. 

In the F model, I would take my headsets with me along with my 496 as it was mounted on the control colum and I've heard horror stories (including recently) of equipment getting stolen.

In the Missile, the Aera is flush in the panel, but removable.  Also, I now have a newer and older Zulu, as well as my old trusty David Clarks that I care about (my portable radio is in my flight bag, so that I carry with me every time I'm in and out of the plane.

For $100 hamburgers, the gear stays in the aircraft.  But . . .

Suggestions: 

1.  When parked in my own NON-heateed hanger.  Do I remove the portable equipment (headsents, in panel GPS?)  If it doesn't drop below freezing does it matter?

2.  When at alternate fileds for a stay, do I remove the equipment or just place a cover over the cockpit to ward off theft.

What are your thoughts?

-Seth

I am a lock and cabin cover guy Seth.  I believe this is a good deterrant to theft as prying eyes don't easily see what you have in the way of headsets and portables.  I don't leave headsets on glareshield or seats.  They are forward in the footwells...and unplugged.  I have a panel mounted portable.  I wouldn't leave a portable on yoke...same with an I-pad.  Too easy a target for smash and dash crowd.

What about at your home airport?  Or is this for both?  Ipad I take with me as I use it for a lot now. 

Do you leave the Aera and Headsets in your aircraft when parked at your home airport?  Below freezing?  Or do you take them home every time?  My plane is in a non-heated hanger.

-Seth

I leave my Aera docked. iPad always goes with me. My headset (JH Audio) is a custom in-ear and not a target. Spare headsets go in hat shelf. If leaving the plane for any length of time, I lock it. If overnight, I cover it too.