64 M20C emergency checklist...Such a thing?

Is there an official emergency checklist for the airplane?  The POH does not have any...

I just use procedures from other airplanes...pretty cut and dry but I was wondering if there is an official document from Mooney or anything approved by the FAA for this model.

If so can it be uploaded to the downloads section?  I searched empty handed

TIA

1 minute ago, Buckeyechuck said:

I use a Q Ref multi page checklist for the M20C.  Sporty’s has them. It has an emergency section. 

Does it have the right speeds for your J-bar and hydraulic flaps, or for my electric gear and flaps? Same for redline, there's quite a variety of speeds for the C model from 1962 to 1976 or 78 or whenever it was finally phased out. That's why I wrote my own checklists from the Owners Manual. But my Emergency section is nowherr near as comprehensive as the 172 I trained in . . . .

10 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

I don’t think any of the older bird of any male had an Emergency Checklist. Most of the checklists I’ve seen are a modified version from the OEM, some have an Emergency section, some don’t 

Yeah a friend of mine will take his commercial check ride in my plane soon and was just asking if there was one...If there are non then I guess you dont need to have emergency procedures memorized...LOL...just go with basic procedures for similar airplanes?

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Does it have the right speeds for your J-bar and hydraulic flaps, or for my electric gear and flaps? Same for redline, there's quite a variety of speeds for the C model from 1962 to 1976 or 78 or whenever it was finally phased out. That's why I wrote my own checklists from the Owners Manual. But my Emergency section is nowherr near as comprehensive as the 172 I trained in . . . .

I have a plate on the ceiling above me that has all of my specific V speeds. 

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

Yeah a friend of mine will take his commercial check ride in my plane soon and was just asking if there was one...If there are non then I guess you dont need to have emergency procedures memorized...LOL...just go with basic procedures for similar airplanes?

My CFI is big on checklist for the commercial, but he’s also old enough to know these older birds had very basic checklists 

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

The most important part, because it comes first:  In case of engine fire, turn off cabin heat.  :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hank said:

The most important part, because it comes first:  In case of engine fire, turn off cabin heat.  :D

"What makes sense" is important.  I was talking with another instructor about this. As you may know, "bold face" memory items has become the rage in modern emergency checklists. Of course, the single worst emergency - fire - is covered. His student just couldn't do the memorization. Finally, the instructor took the POH, turned it over, and said, "You are on fire. What do you want to do?"  "Shut the fuel, shut the vents, shut the master, and get my ass down on the ground as quickly as possible!" 

Problem solved. That's the in-flight fire emergency checklist in every airplane I've flown. 

But there's an important caveat. The devil is in the details. In that student's case, he now had context to aid his memorization but in the heat of battle (pun intended), things get forgotten. You pulled the mixture, but did also shut the fuel at the selector? 

With an old C, I'd be looking at newer Cs, checklists form other models, checklists others have written, and reviewing my systems to see the best way to have a complete "Shut the fuel, shut the vents, shut the master, and get my ass down!" checklist. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Pitch for 100 mph.   figure what is broke/on fire.  fix or secure what is broken/ on fire.  land the plane.

Fastest descent is 45° bank, throttle to idle, pitch to maintain cruise airspeed. The plane virtually falls out of the sky, the VSI really wraps around!

Of course, to put out a fire, shut off fuel and pitch into the yellow. Once it's out, slow descent to normal IAS, bank 45° and spiral quickly. Better practice the levelling off. It's fun!

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

Fastest descent is 45° bank, throttle to idle, pitch to maintain cruise airspeed. The plane virtually falls out of the sky, the VSI really wraps around!

Of course, to put out a fire, shut off fuel and pitch into the yellow. Once it's out, slow descent to normal IAS, bank 45° and spiral quickly. Better practice the levelling off. It's fun!

agreed.   if get down fast that would go into "fix or secure what is broke" step.     The point of what I was writing was Emergency Procedure is more of a Emergency Decision Tree or a collection of 20-30 Procedures.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

Jim,

If writing your own...

Consider the topics covered from the 90s POH....

Who would ever think, a baggage door opening in flight would become an emergency..?

interesting note... for M20Rs... there is a section here for low fuel pressure and fluctuating fuelp... yet, there isn’t a corresponding paragraph of how to handle low fuel pressure emergencies... The Ovation didn’t get a fuelP gauge to indicate a low fuelp emergency is happening...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

ABF35F37-442B-4544-8ACD-E4C10B2BF723.jpeg

5564EC59-287E-4E58-92C8-A5D0C68307EA.jpeg

On 1/5/2021 at 7:16 AM, Hank said:

You will come down faster if you slow to the top of the white arc, put the gear, flaps and speed brakes out if you have them. Along with the steep turn. It will do like 4000 FPM

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:16 AM, Hank said:

Try it with full outside rudder and you'll more than double the descent rate.

-Robert

3 hours ago, Hank said:

Thanks, Skip. That Emergency part looks good, but the V speeds are a blend of manual gear / hydraulic flaps and electric versions, plus some I've never seen (what's Vref for a Mooney?) 

I hadn't flown a C in many years. A friend was selling his 64 C and I was going to check out the buyer after the sale but then COVID happened and plans changed.

The speeds are from his manual (below). The emergency checklist is one I used in a club Ranger that I used to do checkouts in many years ago -- I don't remember if I got it from the manual or made it up.

Vref would normally be 1.3x Vso. I put down 80 mph because that's what we used when I flew it with the owner and it seems to work OK. But Vso is listed as 57 so 1.3xVso would be 74 mph. Perhaps 75 might be a better number. The landing chart says 10 mph above stall which would be 67.  That seems slow but will certainly minimize the float.

Skip

M20C POH.pdf