Opinions on annuals

r0ckst4r

45 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

You're never quite sure on the first date, or even the second or third date, no matter who she is

Ahhhhh...... MooneySpace....... the Match.com of finding a trusted shop/mechanic for annual inspection.

Unlike dating, you’ll probably discover the credibility of your shop/mechanic after the first date, or maybe even before your first date. :blink:

• Like 2

Once I switched to Cole Aviation I never looked back. I feel from the folks here that AGL would be a similar choice and quality.  There are 95% Mooney’s in the shop whenever I’m there. It has cost me a lot in dollars but has saved me an enormous amount of time since making the switch. I use the extra time to make the dollars.  I sleep great and am much more confident about the safety and the quality of work on my aircraft. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

For @r0ckst4r,

This.  In spades.  Exactly why I choose to travel from NY to TX each year...AND stay to perform 70%+ of my own annual under my IA's supervision.

Steve

Interesting, which shop in Texas? There are many here ;o)

-Don

47 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Interesting, which shop in Texas? There are many here ;o)

-Don

Brian Kendrick.  He works out of McKee Avionics’ hangar at KHYI.  Typically, he will only work on the Ovation and Acclaim platforms, but if you want his contact info, happy to provide.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. My next annual is with David (Sabremech) so I can learn the ins and outs of the Mooney I bought from him. After that, I need to find a shop that will, hopefully, let me do owner assisted ;o)

-Don

• Like 1

12 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I’m not sure I’m following the process.  So for this years Annual, I’ll really focus on the landing gear, it will be perfect when I’m done.  How do I sign out the Annual when I didn’t look at the rest of the airplane?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

Clarence

Literally I said focus and not ignore all the other required items on the Mooney Annual/100 Inspection sheet.

When I hear of 2, 3 weeks, a month of down time, I've wondered if a progressive maintenance schedule might be more suitable than an annual for these airplanes. One that gets every thing needed to be done in one day while doing a quarterly oil change. Also think it might minimize maintenance induced errors due to the smaller work scope.  I think it would only work if your IA was on airport. I welcome any feedback on the idea. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

When I hear of 2, 3 weeks, a month of down time, I've wondered if a progressive maintenance schedule might be more suitable than an annual for these airplanes. One that gets every thing needed to be done in one day while doing a quarterly oil change. Also think it might minimize maintenance induced errors due to the smaller work scope.  I think it would only work if your IA was on airport. I welcome any feedback on the idea. 

3 weeks was the average when the IA at the FBO did my annual. Now several states away, I found a traveling IA who would come to my hangar. I'd open all panels before he got there, we would work together for 2 to 2-1/2 days and be done. Then he retired and I can't find anyone willing to host owner-assisted annual or come to my hangar . . . .   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

yep

4 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I try to fix things as they come up so I rarely have much to do at annual. Working in the evening I can do it in just under a week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, INA201 said:

Once I switched to Cole Aviation I never looked back. I feel from the folks here that AGL would be a similar choice and quality.  There are 95% Mooney’s in the shop whenever I’m there. It has cost me a lot in dollars but has saved me an enormous amount of time since making the switch. I use the extra time to make the dollars.  I sleep great and am much more confident about the safety and the quality of work on my aircraft. 

+1 for Joey Cole. If I lived anywhere near Georgia, he'd still have my business. I'm in California now, though.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hank said:

3 weeks was the average when the IA at the FBO did my annual. Now several states away, I found a traveling IA who would come to my hangar. I'd open all panels before he got there, we would work together for 2 to 2-1/2 days and be done. Then he retired and I can't find anyone willing to host owner-assisted annual or come to my hangar . . . .   

Sorry to hear that I'm probably just a few years from that fate as well.  You can always open up clean, inspect, corrosion X and lube everything yourself before you bring it to a shop.  This way you know what things need to be corrected during the annual and then the shop really is doing just an inspection and fixing a hand full of squawks that you have already identified. 

4 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Sorry to hear that I'm probably just a few years from that fate as well.  You can always open up clean, inspect, corrosion X and lube everything yourself before you bring it to a shop.  This way you know what things need to be corrected during the annual and then the shop really is doing just an inspection and fixing a hand full of squawks that you have already identified. 

Or fix the squawks yourself and have the shop sign them off under supervision. 

• Like 1

I am flying my 2nd Mooney. I did all of the work for my annual inspections on the first one for about 20 years, and the IA did the inspection.

The PPI for my 201 was done by a MSC, and I rolled that into an annual. I was disappointed with the quality of their work. I suspect that good A&P technicians and apprentices are more and more difficult to find; it requires a great deal of knowledge, and licensing that is both difficult and expensive.
The MSC did not note that the HSI did not consistently show the correct heading when slaved and precessed when not slaved. They also failed to notice the compass correction card was missing, there is a short that trips the breaker for the recognition lights, the boost pump switch does not remain in the “on” position, and an air duct was rubbing on the inside of the cowling.
In a few minutes I am heading to my hangar, and I will begin opening my 201 for annual inspection. I have a list of things to be repaired, modified, and upgraded. I have an IA available. The IA does not have much Mooney experience. Between my experience, his knowledge, my reference manuals and Mooney tools, and the collective wisdom of the community available here, we will be fine.

It is my butt on the line, so you can be sure I will be meticulous.

• Like 1

Lots of good information here.  Unfortunately, like some others here, I do not have the time to do this myself as my schedule is quite busy.  I suppose I would either have to retire or have my hangar attached to my house so whichever comes first.  It seems there is quite a lot of variation between places listed as a MSC so that you really have to rely on either personal experience or the good reputation of some of the places discussed here.  I suppose at the end of the day I will be heading back to AGL.

On a side note, for all the of the other shops listed as official Mooney Service Centers, what is the criteria for this?  Is there some sort of ongoing certification or is it just a pay a fee to maintain it sort of thing?

18 minutes ago, r0ckst4r said:

I suppose I would either have to retire or have my hangar attached to my house so whichever comes first. 

Living next door to your hangar is an excellent solution!  I haven't tried the retirement solution...yet.

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Living next door to your hangar is an excellent solution!  I haven't tried the retirement solution...yet.

From the kitchen island, shot while reading this thread.

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 6:05 PM, StevenL757 said:

Brian Kendrick.  He works out of McKee Avionics’ hangar at KHYI.  Typically, he will only work on the Ovation and Acclaim platforms, but if you want his contact info, happy to provide.

I second Brian.  He does my Bravo....

• Like 2

We made our AGL annual into a family vacation.  Found an Airbnb, blocked time off work, and enjoyed the heck out of it.  Planning on doing it each year.  3 hr flight for the certainty of a well done annual is priceless IMO. 

Edited by NJMac